View Poll Results: What would you do?
Just don't have a baby shower-- no big deal. 19 43.18%
Pester the friend about throwing the shower 3 6.82%
Ask another friend to organize the shower 13 29.55%
Have wife/partner organize the shower 4 9.09%
Throw a shower for yourself 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Friend dropped ball on organizing my baby shower... WWYD?

I'm sorry, I would have been sad never to have a shower, but I agree that maybe having a welcome baby party would be nice and something you could throw yourself that would still be fun to celebrate baby?

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My sister was going to throw me a diaper shower, but her work schedule changed and now I decided just to do a family potluck/get together to have one more giddy up before I have my baby.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally can understand what you are feeling, but at the same time was brought up in the belief that it is tacky to ask for or plan your own shower.

I would do the post-baby meet and greet party if I was going to throw something myself. If I was close enough friends with the person who offered to throw one I would drop some hints, but leave it in their court as to what they do.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
tonimk19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would talk to the friend and get a feeling for the shower. If not, you can always host a meet & greet yourself which is basically a shower but with teh added bous of meeting the abby and gifts! That's what I did with #2 and then my sister did a surprise baby shower before baby (fun but messed with some of my plans)
Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would probably let it go.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
I would probably let it go.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I agree I really can't think of a nice way to bring it up with out sounding greedy. Especially since she is sick now, if she had cancer you wouldn't expect her to do it anyways and mental health issues are just as real. I would just be there for her the best you can and feel very special that she wanted to do this for you. The people who would come to the slower will come to see the baby after so you will still have people happy for you just a little later.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #17
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

i would start by asking her how she's doing. mention that you know she's been having a tough time, and that you're concerned that organizing your shower might add stress. let her talk it out (if that's how u guys roll) then offer to find someone else to help or assume the task if she would prefer to relinquish it. Definitely don't make her feel like she dropped the ball, she probably feels bad enough about it now. She would probably appreciate being able to step back and heal herself before the big day. who knows, if she's feeling better by then, she might be able to jump into action to help with the final details

eta: i like the pp's ideas about a meet and greet after the baby is born. it's something you can plan for now, and stock the needed groceries/supplies for. it wouldn't really be a shower, but people almost always bring a gift when they visit a new baby. you might even get inquiries about things you need. i always brought a "visiting gift" even if i attended the shower, and likewise my shower guests have always brought one when visiting...

Last edited by mollypeters; 03-26-2014 at 01:18 PM.
mollypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
Kelley76
Registered Users
seller

I also agree with others, a meet and greet the baby party sounds great for you!
I'm having one for my nieces 2nd baby. We're not telling people to bring gifts, but we're also not saying not to. Most people love to pick out baby outfits ect.

Instead of games, were giving prizes to whom ever changed or feeds the baby. And we plan on maybe tye dyeing flats and onsies. She's having a couple of close friends and family.

Kelley
Kelley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #19
chamise
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Shower to me implies gifts. So I think it sounds kind of tacky to ask someone to throw you a shower. It's unfortunate that things fell through for your first one, but asking for a shower would really be like asking for a gift grab. If you really want to celebrate perhaps you host a lunch for your closest friends and call it a baby brunch. Make it clear no presents. Perhaps you could get a fun little picture book or scrapbook put some pictures of you and your friends and have everybody write happy thoughts for the baby.
I think it would be tacky as well. Why not throw your own baby celebration, like Mack suggestion, instead of relying on someone else to? It's a lot of work, time, and money to be asking someone to do. They need to want to so.
chamise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry that your friends keep backing out. I don't get why people think you should only have a shower with the first baby or why it's not ok to throw one yourself. You're celebrating your baby not yourself! I'd talk to the friend and see if she was still up to it or if she wanted any help or if she would feel better not having to worry about it with no hard feelings attached.