View Poll Results: What would you do?
Just don't have a baby shower-- no big deal. 19 43.18%
Pester the friend about throwing the shower 3 6.82%
Ask another friend to organize the shower 13 29.55%
Have wife/partner organize the shower 4 9.09%
Throw a shower for yourself 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #21
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomama2005 View Post
I'm sorry that your friends keep backing out. I don't get why people think you should only have a shower with the first baby or why it's not ok to throw one yourself. You're celebrating your baby not yourself! I'd talk to the friend and see if she was still up to it or if she wanted any help or if she would feel better not having to worry about it with no hard feelings attached.
Because showers these days imply gifts. Take a look at Dear abby, dear prudence, or miss manners, and they all detest what showers have become. So when you throw yourself shower you are basically saying I'm having a party for myself so you can bring me presents. It is tacky to do this over and over and over again. People who want to buy you a gift I will buy you a gift. They do not need stork decorations. There are many ways to celebrate a new baby without a shower.

Advertisement

Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #22
chamise
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Because showers these days imply gifts. Take a look at Dear abby, dear prudence, or miss manners, and they all detest what showers have become. So when you throw yourself shower you are basically saying I'm having a party for myself so you can bring me presents. It is tacky to do this over and over and over again. People who want to buy you a gift I will buy you a gift. They do not need stork decorations. There are many ways to celebrate a new baby without a shower.
Ya we have a one month meet the baby celebration after baby is born. We provide yummy foods, cake, and games. My husband bbqs good meats and we buy cigars and beer. We never ask for gifts but ppl bring them anyway.
chamise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #23
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Friend dropped ball on organizing my baby shower... WWYD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamise View Post
Ya we have a one month meet the baby celebration after baby is born. We provide yummy foods, cake, and games. My husband bbqs good meats and we buy cigars and beer. We never ask for gifts but ppl bring them anyway.
This sounds so much more fun than a traditional baby shower. I would do this just because then you wouldn't have to play silly baby shower games(I detest them).

It is interesting that now it is called meet the baby party when it is after baby is born. When I was a kid it was called a baby shower. Few, if any, baby showers were given before baby was born. They were all done after baby was born. At least in my area it was.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #24
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Friend dropped ball on organizing my baby shower... WWYD?

A "shower" means gifts and it's something that someone you know VOLUNTEERS to throw. It is not something you ask someone to do for you. IMO

If you want to celebrate the baby without the implication of gifts then I would throw something along the lines of a "blessingway" before birth or a "meet the baby" after the birth. Do it yourself. Invite the girls and your family over for a night of celebrating. Instead of gifts have your guests bring something to encourage you through labor and the rest of the pregnancy. (Inspirations quotes, music, etc) You can do henna on your belly, or have your friends help with a belly cast. Invite people to bring a bead to wear on a necklace/bracelet while you labor. There are so many things you can do that will celebrate this new baby

IF you want a traditional shower with gifts I would talk to family or your DH about hosting one for you.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote