Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Amazon ?

We currently have Amazon Prime. I have been looking over what they have and for the life of me cannot find what they carry that is cheaper than local prices. Often it seems they are more expensive and not less so. Sometimes it is even double to triple the cost of our local stores.

I am wondering what others are getting cheaper through Amazon?

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Amazon ?

Here is an example. Red quinoa is $55.35 for a 10lbs bag. So bulk quantity. So about $5.53 a lb. (not prime but cheaper than the Prime ones) Locally I can get red quinoa for $4.99 a lb.

Turbinado sugar same brand I just picked up locally for less than $4. a box. Amazon has it for $6.52 except to get the 'low' price I must purchase the bulk amount of 6 boxes.

These aren't even sale prices. That is full price locally. If I wait for sales I get them even cheaper. Brown rice, even organic, is around $1 a lb. On Amazon it is closer to $2 a lb at the lower end. Pinto beans I get for $.99 a lb. At the cheapest it is about $1.25 but must still add in shipping costs. If I get one with Prime free shipping the cost is still high. It is between $2.00-4.00 per lb. Not cheaper at all.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think if you live in a low COL area, you probably aren't going to find that Amazon beats local prices. For me, I find it in some cases. Brown rice grown in CA is definitely least expensive on Amazon S&S. Organic mayo. Baby food pouches for when my son is sick and we're just trying to get something in him.

I mostly use the S&S for dog food, dish soap, hand soap, some other cleaning supplies, and other home stuff. Not food. I just throw the few food things in that I need on months when I need to hit five subscriptions.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The only time I have found good "food" prices on Amazon is for specialty items and from their warehouse deals. I don't shop their warehouse deals regularly, but will check every so often if I am bored and am putting off housework.

For example: My DH drinks Gatorade at work. (Obviously not something everyone needs to buy in bulk.) We usually purchase the powder at Sam's. $10 for a container that makes 9 gallons.

I found via a warehouse deal on Amazon a case of powder for $29 and it will make 80 gallons. This isn't a normal price by any stretch, but I jumped on the opportunity when I found it.
acwakip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also, for example, the Seventh Gen dish soap is on S&S for around $16 for a 6 pack which is already a good price because I have never seen it for less than over $3 per bottle near me. They also have a $4 off coupon that you "clip" towards the middle of the screen. That brings the price to around $2 per bottle, shipped to you.

This is with the 15% discount which you need five items for. And I already have enough dish soap, lol, so I don't need it. But things like that can be really good ways to stock up.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Where do I find the warehouse deals on Amazon?

For houseing we are low cost of living but for food and such I think we came in somewhere in the middle. Not high and not low if I remember correctly when I checked online. I may just have to keep looking and see for the deals.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...ref=topnav_sad

If you scroll down the bottom of the page, they have a list of "bargain" areas including warehouse deals, and their outlet site.

ETA: Not the bottom, but underneath the columns of areas of the site.
acwakip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have too many littles to go to the store and fill up the cart. I use Amazon whenever I can. I save or break even on most everything. I buy most of my goods via subscribe and save. I always have five or more items so I save the full 20%. It's easy to miss coupons on Amazon, but they're often available. Check back with each item every month and add a coupon if there is one available.

We rely solely on subscribe & save for these items:
- Angel Soft toilet paper
- Seventh Generation liquid dishwasher soap
- Seventh Generation liquid dish soap
- Ecover dishwasher additive
- sposie diapers & wipes
- Sparkle paper towels
- baby food pouches and snacks
- Green Mountain k-cups
- Kind bars

Amazon prices fluctuate by the minute. I buy these things (via S&S) if the price is right, and it often is:
- Secret deodorant
- Old Spice deodorant
- toothpaste
- Pantene shampoo and conditioner
- Head and Shoulders shampoo
- Gain laundry soap
- an assortment of cases of cereals
- Kashi or Nutrigrain cereal bars
- Jiff peanut butter
- Heinz ketcup
- Ragu spaghetti sauce
- Glad trash bags
- an assortment of vitamins and supplements
- batteries
- pasta

I also buy quite a bit from Walmart.com. They used to have free shipping if you spent at least $35 on grocery items. I think that's changed to free shipping on everything after $50. It's easy to hit that minimum if you're buying dry goods in bulk. I have price checked Walmart's website endlessly. The prices are the same as the prices at my local store. I haven't ever found a difference. I use Walmart.com's prices to evaluate Amazon's prices.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I think your first list is a big part of my issue. We are all cloth.

The second list is a lot of processed foods. We do from scratch due to allergies. Detergents, shampoo, soaps and such I have nearly a years supply of.

The batteries though I am most definitely going to check into. I hadn't thought of those and we use a lot of batteries.

Thank you
Old 03-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Looking back at things I've bought over the last year...
Fish oil
Cell phone case
Humidity monitor
CO2 detector
Video games and accessories
Hair clippers
BabyGanics toy and high chair cleaner
Toys
Books
Elderberry syrup
More toys
Costume Hoodies
Party supplies
Coconut oil

Yes, some of that was the same price that I could buy at the store but I also use gift cards I got from Plink points, so it was free or cheap. I don't buy a lot of food there though I really like the coconut oil I get.