Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Amazon ?

I have looked at pricing for every staple we use in this house, like oats, rice, flour, milk powder, nuts, quinoa, salt and others and I have not found any food that saves us money at Amazon. We bought a good panettone from Amazon once, but that wasn't about saving money. Even odd things like the citron we needed for pan forte cost more. We do buy from Amazon on occasion, but not food - it isn't cost effective, even if we did everything we could to save percentages.

And as you know, I get other kinds of staples from Frontier and we are a 95% cloth family, with very sparing reliance on paper goods.

Advertisement

Last edited by danielle; 03-16-2014 at 01:12 PM.
danielle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

We don't usually buy grocery or clothing items from Amazon.

We usually buy one-time stuff. We compare prices in-store to Amazon and Amazon usually wins. We do almost all Christmas and birthday presents from Amazon. I need a part for my washing machine and it's a fraction of the cost on Amazon as it would be to buy it from a dealer.

Like with anything, comparison shopping is key to saving money.

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post

We usually buy one-time stuff. We compare prices in-store to Amazon and Amazon usually wins. We do almost all Christmas and birthday presents from Amazon. I need a part for my washing machine and it's a fraction of the cost on Amazon as it would be to buy it from a dealer.

This is us, too. We don't buy groceries or household items on Amazon. We buy gifts, electronics, media, baby stuff, etc.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
Lizp86
Registered Users formerly:grayelizabeth06
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post

I do mainly Christmas, Birthdays, books (saves me money since the bookstore is across town) and my uniforms pants (Since I don't like any of the cuts locally). I also use the instant videos and do SB and IGC to earn Amazon giftcards so I keep my out of pocket low
Lizp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use amazon for special deals or convenience. I can generally find a better deal at a local store for a lot of things, but I do get things from Amazon. For example, I was told of an awesome price for things like hairbrushes and personal care items (face wash, and things like that) and I bought a bunch. I wish I had bought more!

If I am looking simply for a good deal on food type items, I watch the sales at my local stores. Not on a regular basis, but often enough one of the local grocery stores will have 20-30% off bulk bins or certain grains in the bulk bins. Most of my friends that subscribe to things on amazon live in the country and it saves them the time and gas to drive to town to shop.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
expaik
Registered Users
seller

I never buy stockpile, clothing, or food items from Amazon. It is ALWAYS better to combine coupons and sales at grocery stores, Target, drugstores (CVS and Walgreens are great). Many stores have store coupons that you can stack on top of the manufacturer ones too. Clothing I will trade for, buy at consignments stores or craigslist or forums, or if I must buy new, Kohl's.

I am a die-hard thrifty shopper and there are definitely things I buy from Amazon:

Shiseido skin care products (for like 30% - 40% less than I'd pay at department stores)

Water filters for our LG fridge (costs half the price at Home Depot)

certain kinds of electronics / phone accessories
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
erinbell
Registered Users

I used to order some on amazon but felt SO guilty about them sending a ton of boxes. Is there way to get them to condense to one box? It felt so wasteful!
erinbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #18
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinbell View Post
I used to order some on amazon but felt SO guilty about them sending a ton of boxes. Is there way to get them to condense to one box? It felt so wasteful!
I don't think so. The only time I have received different shipments was because the items were coming from different warehouses.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #19
erinbell
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwakip View Post
I don't think so. The only time I have received different shipments was because the items were coming from different warehouses.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Maybe it's gotten better. I tried last March and ordered like 15 different random items for my disney vacation (like bandaids, anti-nausea medicine, etc.) thinking it would help me make sure I got everything checked off and organized- and it all came separate and I felt so guilty getting a huge amazon box with just a pack of bandaids in it!
erinbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #20
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes organic virgin coconut oil (although not now that Costco has it), my raw prenatal vitamin, some of the teas we drink.

I used to find good prices on Amazon, back when they were starting up the S&S program. Now I RARELY find anything that's a good deal.

However, I do find some deals on www.iherb.com and www.vitacost.com. Though I find Vitacost screws up my orders every single time.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote