Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Non meat meal ideas

Can you ladies please post some of your favorite non meat meals. Dh actually agreed to do mostly veggie meals when he is here! That is huge for him. He is a meat at every meal kind of guy! Personally he likes all veggies, I like everything except tomatoes (unless they are cooked). Our kids are not picky. They eat broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, peppers, etc.

Personally I love zucchini and squash! Cucumbers not so much, I taste them all day long after eating them. Dh loves them. I do better with cooked peppers and diced raw onions, no big raw onion chunks. Though cooked is fair game any way!!

Please help me come up with some lunches and dinners! We also want to stay on the low side of carbs. We love cabbage, but we mostly fry it...with bacon grease, bacon, butter, salt and pepper, minced garlic, and green onions.... I need other cabbage recipes!

Salads are a hit with everyone in the house. We aren't interested in going vegetarian, just cutting way down on the meat consumption. I have about every spice available. Spicy is a favorite for us. The kids and I don't care for curry too much, we don't like Indian cuisine. (Dh likes it though). All others are fair game.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Non meat meal ideas

Sauerkraut and kielbasa isn't meatless, but you can have a pretty low ratio of meat to cabbage. I don't know if people consider peas a carb, but pea soup can have no ham or just a little bit instead of lots. Taco salads with a minimal amount of chicken or beef, and the Mexican spices can get you some flavoring. There's a Vietnamese dish we make, but of course I don't know the name of it... but it's got a lot of cucumber and lettuce, plus sauteed onions and garlic, and some meat, with a lime juice "dressing"; usually served over rice noodles, but you could reduce/eliminate. Ratatouille? Stir fry, using a cabbage base instead of rice?
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love any veggies sauteed in a little butter and then mixed with black beans and a bit of salsa or green chiles, served over rice. You don't have to serve it over rice, I just like it that way best.

Sweet potato and black bean burritos are really yummy

I always use leftover steamed veggies from one night into next night's meal. Put them into the bottom of a pie plate and cover with beaten eggs, and sprinkle on chunks of goat cheese. Bake at 350 until set.

Fave salad is goat cheese, dried cranberries, raisins, and chopped apples drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

What are your preferred protein sources?
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Abradyw
Registered Users
seller

I made this last night...spicy and really good over lime rice with cilantro (squeeze one or two limes in with rice and water before cooking, add cilantro after). You could easily sub out the shrimp for veggies... http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=325

Also, I love Emerils Ratatouille recipe...

Recently I've been in love with a salad my father in law made...he takes a 9x13 baking dish and makes equal columns of the following, then tosses with a creamy dressing of mayo, sour cream (low fat ok), lemon juice, worcestire, s&p....

Chopped cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, fennel, endive, spinach, chopped green olives, golden raisins, chopped pistachios, feta cheese, Israeli/pearl couscous (cooked/cooled). Add fresh herbs like parsley and dill if desired. It's delicious.
Abradyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

Ohhh these sound good! DH is a vegetarian and I am always looking for more ideas....
Old 03-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I cook from the Skinnytaste website all.the.time. She has some great vegetarian dishes.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/v...n-recipes.html

We like the butternut squash and black bean enchiladas, cheesy zucchini enchiladas, mushroom stroganoff, ziti with spinach. They are all good!

I've been roasting veggies lately and love it. Roasted brussels sprouts are amazing!
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

We have one meatless night a week:

Butternut squash bisque
Spaghetti and garlic bread
Ratatouille
Eggplant Parmesan
Risotto
Pizza
Roasted veggies on flatbread
Brushetta
Salad
Breakfast for dinner (waffles, pancakes, eggs, potatos)
Quiche
Vegetarian chili

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #8
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

5 dollar dinners has a great lentil brown rice casserole we all like. It's easy to find if you google it

Black beans and rice

Somewhere in here there was a lentil black bean enchilada recipe that we like too.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Lentil tacos
Tomato cobbler
veggie filled mahltaschen
Pasta with marinara or alfredo sauce, can add veggies to sauce
stuffed bell peppers
couscous with veggies and tzaski
poatoes with herb quark
fried potatoes
potato pancakes
breakfast for dinner- pancakes, french toast, crepes
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Lentil tacos
Tomato cobbler
veggie filled mahltaschen
Pasta with marinara or alfredo sauce, can add veggies to sauce
stuffed bell peppers
couscous with veggies and tzaski
poatoes with herb quark
fried potatoes
potato pancakes
breakfast for dinner- pancakes, french toast, crepes