Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Non meat meal ideas

Baby bok choy. There's nothing like it.

Saute fresh ginger, garlic (and some sesame seeds if you've got them) quickly in very hot oil and add in your clean and separated but not chopped baby bok choy. Once you get some good heat on the bok choy, add a bit of stock or water, sugar (like a teaspoon) and tamari (or soy) sauce, then toss and let it steam a bit, maybe 5 minutes. Plate it up and serve it with rice. Try using chopsticks!

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh and latkes, or potato pancakes, is a brilliant idea. My family goes crazy for them. The simpler the recipe the better. Grate some potatoes in a box grater, squeeze out the liquid, use the grater to send half an onion through, add an egg, some flour and salt and pepper and you're in business. Fill a saute pan with a good amount of oil and get it hot. Drop spoonfuls of the mix in and drain on papertowels. So good! I serve them with applesauce on one side of the plate and sour cream on the other side, the way my family loves them. I usually serve them with simple crudites - whatever is in the house.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
karlavon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Can you ladies please post some of your favorite non meat meals. Dh actually agreed to do mostly veggie meals when he is here! That is huge for him. He is a meat at every meal kind of guy! Personally he likes all veggies, I like everything except tomatoes (unless they are cooked). Our kids are not picky. They eat broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, peppers, etc.

Personally I love zucchini and squash! Cucumbers not so much, I taste them all day long after eating them. Dh loves them. I do better with cooked peppers and diced raw onions, no big raw onion chunks. Though cooked is fair game any way!!

Please help me come up with some lunches and dinners! We also want to stay on the low side of carbs. We love cabbage, but we mostly fry it...with bacon grease, bacon, butter, salt and pepper, minced garlic, and green onions.... I need other cabbage recipes!

Salads are a hit with everyone in the house. We aren't interested in going vegetarian, just cutting way down on the meat consumption. I have about every spice available. Spicy is a favorite for us. The kids and I don't care for curry too much, we don't like Indian cuisine. (Dh likes it though). All others are fair game.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
If you like cabbage and salad, try raw shredded napa cabbage with carrots and green onions and a homemade sesame vinaigrette. Can add sesame or sunflower seeds, chopped peanuts or almonds, or diced and fried tofu for protein. Delicious!!
karlavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
katiepony
Registered Users
seller

Awesome soups (tomato, cream of anything delicious, etc) and grilled cheese! So good!

I find with veggie meals you have to turn your perspective around. If a person is always trying to start with a mainly meat meal and make it meatless, it will always feel lacking (think veggie burgers, which are kind of a sloppy second to real deal). But if you start from some delicious thing and work forward, it works well.

Also veggie pizzas (tonight we are having margarita pizza, which is fresh, garden basil, mozzarella, and fresh tomatoes). We do a white/garlic sauce. High carb, but very good.
katiepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are not vegetarians but my family eats quite a few meatless dishes to cut down on our meat consumption - and lower our grocery bills

I use this recipe to replace ground beef in a lot of our family favorites:
Whole Food Vegetarian Ground Beef Substitute Recipe http://veggieconverter.com/whole-foo...titute-recipe/

With it I make lasagna, tacos, "meatloaf", add it to chili, pretty much anywhere you'd use ground beef. If adding it to anything saucey or soupy, add it at the end so it doesn't get soggy

These are great recipes using it:
Meaty Vegetarian Lasagna http://onceamonthmeals.com/meaty-vegetarian-lasagna/

Grilled Vegetarian Cheeseburger Wraps http://onceamonthmeals.com/grilled-v...eburger-wraps/
Old 03-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
Southern Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We also like lentil sloppy joes, homemade macaroni and cheese as a main dish, quiche, portobello mushroom burgers, red beans and rice (I have a fantastic recipe for that but don't have the time to type it out right now. I'll come back after the kids are in bed and add it if you want )

Last edited by Southern Momma; 03-27-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Southern Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Momma View Post
We also like homemade macaroni and cheese as a main dish, quiche, portobello mushroom burgers, red beans and rice (I have a fantastic recipe for that but don't have the time to type it out right now. I'll come back after the kids are in bed and add it if you want )
I want your red beans and rice recipe!!!

Best Mac and cheese I've ever had! I add some sauteed onion stirred in before baking as well.

Baking Sheet Macaroni and Cheese
Serves 6
3 tablespoons butter
12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
1 pound pasta spirals (or other small shape)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
Salt
2/3 cup whole milk
1. Heat oven to 475 degrees. Use one tablespoon butter to thickly grease a 11-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheet. Combine the grated cheeses and set aside 2 heaping cups for topping.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 6 minutes. Drain.
3. In a large bowl, toss together the pasta, cheeses, cayenne and salt to taste. Spread the mixture in the baking sheet and evenly pour the milk over the surface. Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top, dot with the remaining butter and bake, uncovered, until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #18
Southern Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
Oh and latkes, or potato pancakes, is a brilliant idea. My family goes crazy for them. The simpler the recipe the better. Grate some potatoes in a box grater, squeeze out the liquid, use the grater to send half an onion through, add an egg, some flour and salt and pepper and you're in business. Fill a saute pan with a good amount of oil and get it hot. Drop spoonfuls of the mix in and drain on papertowels. So good! I serve them with applesauce on one side of the plate and sour cream on the other side, the way my family loves them. I usually serve them with simple crudites - whatever is in the house.
Mmmm, latke
Old 03-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are just this side of vegan because my body hates me apparently. I can have some eggs (I have to go easy) and fish but I go easy on that because it is not in the budget for all of the time. We eat a lot of beans and lentils here. My boys love walnut taco meat (I make nachos, they weren't as crazy about them as tacos though dh will eat it however he likes it better than "real" tacos) and lentil soup, they are crazy for lentil soup.

http://www.food.com/recipe/red-lenti...us-soup-115423
this time of year I make this a lot because the veggies are always on sale or better yet they start growing fresh in my garden (depending on what I plant) I do not use the couscous because I can't have gluten, turns out just as well.

We also love
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...p?recipe=57888
vegan taco meat, for on nachos, soft taco filling, lettuce wraps, whatever.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=104901
lentil loaf is quick and cheap, everyone enjoys it. I put a bit of daiya on top but if you can have "real cheese" that would probably be good too.

We also enjoy veggie fried rice, black beans and quinoa, dry roasted brussel sprouts (toss them with cinnamon and a little coconut oil when they come out and they are amazing I could eat them every day), and steel cut oat risoto topped with veggies and poached eggs.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #20
2orangecats
Registered Users
seller

I personally love eggs as a healthy, non-meat protein source (we also have chickens so there are always plenty of them around). The Smitten Kitchen blog has a wonderful recipe for spinach quiche that I just made last week (too new to DS to post the link but you can search for it easily enough).

Smitten Kitchen would actually be a great place to start--she has a ton of veggie options on there and she cooks for a toddler so many are kid friendly. I love her blog as I have never had a bad meal from any of her recipes (and I've made a lot of them). Her recipes are usually easy, with no fuss ingredients.
2orangecats is offline   Reply With Quote