Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Janadi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Iron Deficiency Anemia and Vitamin retention

Hi,
So I've been experiencing fatigue and went to the doc for a blood test. I've always known I was anemic but it looks pretty bad. My transferrin is below 6%. 20%-60% is deemed healthy. Doc wants me on ferrous gluconate starting at ~1,000 mg a day. And if I don't show improvement within 2 weeks I have to get weekly or twice weekly IVs. I've heard that heavy doses of iron can slow or block other nutrients. Like potassium or magnesium? Not sure. Please help me by suggesting food items or meals or other natural remedy to get through this and back to myself!

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
sleepylees
Registered Users

Re: Iron Deficiency Anemia and Vitamin retention

Are you saying you do not want to take a supplement? Do you eat meat?
sleepylees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
red-headed mama
Registered Users

I battle with anemia as does DD. I had to start eating meat and taking supplements. My DD has been able to raise hers with food, using a cast iron skillet, and her multi vitamin. I did find that certain foods like dairy will inhibit the absorption of iron so I had to cut all dairy out of my DDs diet and encourage more vitamin c since this encourages iron absorption. On top of that, certain foods like spinach need to be cooked.
Have They done extensive blood work or how are they getting these numbers? They gave DD a month to improve before doing the extensive testing to make sure it wasn't something else throwing off the tests.
red-headed mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Story of my life, dear I battle with anemia, and I have since I was an infant. For right now, you need to take the supplements, those numbers are too low to mess around with. With that being said, my levels stay around 18, which is considered low still, but it is okay for ME. I have to be very careful with my diet. My body goes through nutrients like crazy, I am always low on potassium, iron, sodium, and magnesium when I have my blood drawn. I eat a lot of fish and venison (my husband is a hunter) and I eat well over the recommended serving of fruits and veggies daily. It is even worse now that I am currently pregnant with twins and I swear they are sucking it all out of me!!! I cannot waste room in my tummy on low nutrient foods. My quick fix is to toss a cup of fresh spinach in a blender with some frozen berries and a banana and coconut milk, and it gives me a boost. Feel free to pm me if you need more food/ recipe ideas!
MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, a lot of times, iron issues are more complicated than someone simply not eating enough meat. In fact, most of us eat more meat than recommended. Did you doctor check out other levels, too? I would request a complete blood work up. I hope you are able to get some rest and get back to feeling better!
MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
betsynic
Registered Users
seller

My cardiologist put me on VitronC which is an iron supplement that seems to work. My neighbor was ready to start on the iv treatments and she tried the vitronc and has normal levels from it. CVS has a store brand of it that is cheaper and that is the only place I have found VitronC other that online.
betsynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Janadi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMartin2013
Also, a lot of times, iron issues are more complicated than someone simply not eating enough meat. In fact, most of us eat more meat than recommended. Did you doctor check out other levels, too? I would request a complete blood work up. I hope you are able to get some rest and get back to feeling better!
Yeah I have a six page printout with dozens of test results. Results are inconclusive on pretty much everything.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
lauren0289
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Are you interested in supplementing with a more natural source of iron? I became really really anemic in my 3rd pregnancy, they almost risked me out of my homebirth. I started on liquid chlorophyll and my levels looks normal within two weeks. I hope you find answers soon!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not a stranger to dangerously low iron levels.
We have a hereditary blood disorder, a form of Hemolytic Anemia called Hereditary Spherocytosis.

Eating red meat is NOT necessarily the best place to get iron from.
Also, please note that I am not yet sure what the difference if any there is between ferrous gluconate and the folic acid which I am usually prescribed, but in general artificial supplements will NOT help your body raise its levels. I have done extensive research on my own condition and found out that manufactured iron supplements, folic acid, are not able to be readily broken down in the body and used whatsoever. The process can in fact make it harder for the body to retain natural folate from your diet.

In a general attempt to eat more consciously anyway, we have tried to cut out most iron fortified grain/cereal/wheat products/etc. I buy breads that aren't fortified, make my own pancakes from scratch ingredients, and overall try to use a lot of dark leafy green things in our diet.
I really hate the taste of most of the dark veggies so this can be a challenge. I found baby leaf spinach is perfectly taste disguised mixed in fruit breakfast smoothies. It also is great on sandwich type things, you really don't taste it. I buy non-fortified quick oats for use in any homemade pancakes, breads, and toss it into our smoothies to make them filling.
I would love to get another cast iron skillet!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, forgot I had this interesting article bookmarked:
http://www.thelifeofedenmarie.com/20...awareness.html