Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #21
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Yo! Who stole my edit button??

Is this change done in order to avoid people from changing contents with FSOT especially?

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #22
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Annnd looks like the time limit is one hour for the edit which isn't too bad as I've seen as fast as 10 minutes in other forums.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #23
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We don't know yet. If this was a change the mods and admin were not made aware of it at all. Trying to find out what's happening.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #24
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here's the response I got
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
For those of you that don't know me, my name is Cricket. I am a community manager for somewhere around 25 Escalate Media forum communities. I am not new to Escalate Media or to running forums. There were simply some communities that were moved under my umbrella when the previous admin was promoted within the company back in late January.

One of the things I have done is make sure that forum settings (in the backend) are consistent throughout the communities. Yes, that includes the time allowed to edit posts. 30 minutes is really the standard for forums and what I have found to be most effective for communities overall. There are a number of reasons for this.

(1) Above all, the integrity of the thread.

(2) Google indexes our threads within minutes of them being posted.

(3) If a member starts a thread and several people respond to that thread but the member goes back and changes what he posted, suddenly those responses make no sense anymore and threads end up in a mess.

(4) Members get angry at times (we're human) and threaten to take their football and go home. There have been instances of members in communities going back and editing their posts to add malicious content or in extreme cases removing all of their posts creating total havoc in the threads.

Now if this is causing issues specific to how this forum is run, let me know what they are so I can evaluate this as needed. (If it is simply they don't like it, that is different.)
We are going to see if some of the sections can get around this...coops, swaps, the uys game area

The thing is...admin and mods can see all the changes that members make so it really should be an issue with the edit button. We have in some cases brought back deleted posts that members did. So that's not the problem.

We are working with cricket on a solution.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #25
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
Here's the response I got

We are going to see if some of the sections can get around this...coops, swaps, the uys game area

The thing is...admin and mods can see all the changes that members make so it really should be an issue with the edit button. We have in some cases brought back deleted posts that members did. So that's not the problem.

We are working with cricket on a solution.

just saw this in the mod forum. Hopefully we can find a solutions.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #26
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

There are a couple issues that Cricket should know if she isn't intimately familiar with how this forum runs --

There are women who post to help the OP, but it's largely a touch more personal than they would want for all eternity, and edit later. This is especially relevant in post partum depression cases, divorce help, abuse discussions, and marriage help. Because we are (largely) composed of mothers, this leaves little time to get online and read this stuff. Most members leave their helpful posts up for a day or two, and then go back and edit the really personal info when the thread has gone it's way and the help has been seen. If I was on one other the other Escalate forums like the Sprint forum or the Mac users one, I can see where the time-out edit button is appropriate but here it's just not. The "take the ball and go home" issue has always been appropriately crowd-regulated by the members calling out the abusers.

This is also a nightmare for the marketplace which is likely a large percentage of Escalate's page views. I totally get that Escalate is probably more concerned with CPC/CPA ad revenue, but that's dependent on members actually wanting to hang out on this forum and alienating members isn't the way to do it. The forum has already gone down significantly in traffic so if Escalate is looking to up their page views by having indexed and searchable threads that people can stumble onto years later, that should be more transparent and not a midnight under-the-table change.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #27
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Side note - the whole thing is just wonky right now. I can post right now on a Linux system with Chrome, where I was signed in before. On the app, it says I am logged out, but am not permitted to log in, cannot see my PM's because I am not logged in, but can still see Coops, Swaps, and SS which are opt-ins. Can't reply on the app. On a Chromebook, I'm fine, can go about business as usual. Windows is a mess. Can't do anything on any browsers there. I haven't tried a Mac yet.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #28
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
There are a couple issues that Cricket should know if she isn't intimately familiar with how this forum runs --

There are women who post to help the OP, but it's largely a touch more personal than they would want for all eternity, and edit later. This is especially relevant in post partum depression cases, divorce help, abuse discussions, and marriage help. Because we are (largely) composed of mothers, this leaves little time to get online and read this stuff. Most members leave their helpful posts up for a day or two, and then go back and edit the really personal info when the thread has gone it's way and the help has been seen. If I was on one other the other Escalate forums like the Sprint forum or the Mac users one, I can see where the time-out edit button is appropriate but here it's just not. The "take the ball and go home" issue has always been appropriately crowd-regulated by the members calling out the abusers.

This is also a nightmare for the marketplace which is likely a large percentage of Escalate's page views. I totally get that Escalate is probably more concerned with CPC/CPA ad revenue, but that's dependent on members actually wanting to hang out on this forum and alienating members isn't the way to do it. The forum has already gone down significantly in traffic so if Escalate is looking to up their page views by having indexed and searchable threads that people can stumble onto years later, that should be more transparent and not a midnight under-the-table change.
Quote:
Side note - the whole thing is just wonky right now. I can post right now on a Linux system with Chrome, where I was signed in before. On the app, it says I am logged out, but am not permitted to log in, cannot see my PM's because I am not logged in, but can still see Coops, Swaps, and SS which are opt-ins. Can't reply on the app. On a Chromebook, I'm fine, can go about business as usual. Windows is a mess. Can't do anything on any browsers there. I haven't tried a Mac yet.
I brought these points up.

And if you are still having issues this afternoon she said she will look into it. I tried fixing it but can't do anything more.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #29
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Seriously DS has been so dreadfully slow lately and this inability to edit may lead to it being even slower. People will be less likely to share information that may be helpful because they don't want their personal details out and easy for everyone to see for years to come (yes this is the internet and once you put it out there it never truly goes away but I think you know what I mean)

Obviously certain areas of the board need edit more frequently than others (FSOT for example) but not being able to edit on a board like this is not a smart choice. We aren't the same as the other 24 forums, we should all be lumped together just because. This is literally the only forum I am a part of and part of that is because I like the way it works around here.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #30
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
I brought these points up.

And if you are still having issues this afternoon she said she will look into it. I tried fixing it but can't do anything more.
I just went in on the computer and reset the password, then reinstalling the app allowed me to log in with the new password. So, I'm in there now

I'm sure you brought it all up because you are such a smarty pants I'm just adding my two cents.

two min later edit - I really appreciate you trying to help me get in, Erica I had to text Erica last night because not being able to get in on a few devices made me think I was banned. Thank you Erica

Last edited by Hungry Caterpillar; 03-19-2014 at 11:32 AM.