Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
clnapoli
Registered Users
seller

Dr changing due date?

As anyone had their ob change their due date for one reason or another? Why did they change it and by how much? I've consistently measured AT LEAST 1 week ahead (currently actually 34 weeks) and at my last ultrasound measured 2 1/2 weeks ahead. This is my 3rd pregnancy and my other 2 were right on track, but I'm already SUPER uncomfortable and would love if my c-section date was pushed a bit earlier!

Advertisement

clnapoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dr changing due date?

Why would you want that? Studies consistently show that prior to 37 weeks babies don't do so well as term babies. Even then, 37 weeks is not really considered 'term' anymore, since now they are saying 39 weeks+ babies do a lot better overall. Why would you want to have your dates off and risk having your baby potentially premature? Do you know your last menstrual period date? I don't really understand why doctors would change dates unless you had an early dating ultrasound (<10 weeks), which is very accurate. Later ultrasounds really can't date a pregnancy very well.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
squirrelgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My early ultrasound dates were right on both times. Toward the end with dd2 I was measuring about two weeks farther along, but she came on her own on her due date. I agree with pp. Personally, I wouldn't move up an induction or csec unless there was a glaring medical reason.

Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free!

Last edited by squirrelgirl; 03-25-2014 at 09:00 AM.
squirrelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
clnapoli
Registered Users
seller

Yes, obviously I don't want my baby to be premature...I was just trying to see if anyone has had this happen. My cs is scheduled at 39w3d.
clnapoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
squirrelgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnapoli View Post
Yes, obviously I don't want my baby to be premature...I was just trying to see if anyone has had this happen. My cs is scheduled at 39w3d.
I totally know how you feel! I was so excited when they said I might go early! I was miserable big! It didn't happen for us though. I was a little dissapointed when we passed the "maybe" due date.

Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free!
squirrelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I've been measuring anywhere from 1-4 weeks ahead. I'm 30 weeks now & will be having a cesarean also. I'm certain of my exact conception date. There are weeks when I'm measuring ahead where I feel SO uncomfortable & can sympathize with wanting to go early. For me personally, I probably would insist on waiting till 39 weeks at least. Even if the dr thought it was okay to do it earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

No, never happened to me. My doctor routinely does a 7-8 week ultrasound to get the due date and sticks by that measurement, come hell or high water!

For the first half of this pregnancy, I was routinely measuring 4-6 weeks ahead of my due date (despite losing a lot of weight), I caught up to my gestational age around 29 weeks, now I'm measuring a few weeks behind! Doctor speculated the early huge measurements are because I've had so many pregnancies, my uterus is not as tight as it once was, but now the baby has "grown into" my uterus. 20 week ultrasound was consistent with 7 week ultrasound as far as baby's gestational age.

I've never heard of anyone getting their due date changed that late in the game. I think you're locked in.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

My dr told me you should never change the due date after the first trimester. You get a dating ultrasound hopefully around 7 weeks and you stick with that. If your baby measures "ahead" its not really ahead, its a big baby. If your baby measures behind its not really behind its a small baby (or has a growth problem). Not to be a downer but we know someone who was induced because their baby was always measuring "ahead" the baby was big when he was born (I want to say 8 pounds), but he was still early, and his lungs weren't fully developed. Thankfully he was okay but he had to stay in the nicu for some time.

Last edited by superbeans; 03-25-2014 at 09:51 AM.
superbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
kbates05
Registered Users
seller
seller

I for one have had a large 8lb 1 ounce 35 weeker that ended up in the NICU for over a month. Just because they measure big does not mean they can breath on their own. My little guy always measured 2 weeks ahead and at 34 weeks he measured a full month ahead. Doc still didn't change the due date and I am glad because he really needed more time to cook. Early babies are not a good thing and it's scary when your child can't breath on their own. To many doctors will say they will be to big but really some people just have huge babies and no issues. They all come when their time is done. Please just wait it out because NICU babies are expensive and very stressful
kbates05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
Ola_
Registered Users

We only did an anatomical scan but it said right on the report that although they are providing an estimated due date, if there is already one from a previous scan it should NOT be changed. I know that not all doctors follow that rule though.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote