Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
MamaMuffin
Registered Users
seller

Itching, not from infection?

(TMI-- SO sorry!)

I'm 25 weeks and had some issues with itchiness in my girl-parts for about 10 days now. I saw my midwife on Thursday and she said it's not yeast or any other infection. It's just irritation because of changes in chemistry and more bloodflow to the area and stuff like that.

She didn't seem to have any advice on fixing it. Which wouldn't be a big deal, but, ladies, I feel like I'm DYING here. I've tried sitz baths and I'm taking probiotics just in case, but it's not helping. I use hypoallergenic feminine wash, not soap, so that's not the issue either. I really need to figure something out because it's very, very uncomfortable!

Has anyone else had this problem during any pregnancy? Do you have ANY advice on how I can fix this?

Advertisement

MamaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Itching, not from infection?

I haven't had the itching/ soreness issue during pregnancy (aside from varicose veins down there ) but have gotten pretty irritated back when I used sposie mama cloth... best thing I found to soothe was a hot bath w/a cup of vinegar in it... sometimes I had to do it 2-3xs a day but you should start to feel relief even after the 1st bath... I always do.

Since you are pregnant I would only fill the tub a little bit w/some pretty warm to hot water, which you obviously can't take a hot bath while pregnant so that is why I say to just fill it a few inches. Add the vinegar & read a book or magazine for 10 minutes. Repeat again the same day if you can, if not try to at least do it for a few days in a row, though 2-3xs in a day really speeds up healing.

Something else you may want to try is putting some coconut oil on down there... it may soothe it or it may not make a difference, but it won't hurt anything.

Hang in there !
Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I'm super itchy during pregnancy too. It was so much better when I could go without underwear. Other than that, nothing really helped. Super annoying.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
MamaMuffin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyn4wisechix View Post
I haven't had the itching/ soreness issue during pregnancy (aside from varicose veins down there ) but have gotten pretty irritated back when I used sposie mama cloth... best thing I found to soothe was a hot bath w/a cup of vinegar in it... sometimes I had to do it 2-3xs a day but you should start to feel relief even after the 1st bath... I always do.

Since you are pregnant I would only fill the tub a little bit w/some pretty warm to hot water, which you obviously can't take a hot bath while pregnant so that is why I say to just fill it a few inches. Add the vinegar & read a book or magazine for 10 minutes. Repeat again the same day if you can, if not try to at least do it for a few days in a row, though 2-3xs in a day really speeds up healing.

Something else you may want to try is putting some coconut oil on down there... it may soothe it or it may not make a difference, but it won't hurt anything.

Hang in there !
I'm gonna give that a try, thanks so much!
Old 03-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I second the coconut oil!!

Deirdre~ Wife to Joe & Momma to Emily, Lilly, Joseph, Maggie & Daisy who is due in August!
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
jakossi
Registered Users
seller

What are you using for detergent? Any recent changes in detergent? I had issues when I was making my own. Also maybe all cotton underwear?
jakossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
MamaMuffin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakossi View Post
What are you using for detergent? Any recent changes in detergent? I had issues when I was making my own. Also maybe all cotton underwear?
I have eczema and we've used the same hypoallergenic detergent for years now, so that's not it. And only clean cotton panties! :/
Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I find if the girl parts are damp for too long things get itchy. I know for me pregnancy made the girl parts damp a lot. Maybe a liner?

Try going commando as much as possible so you're getting air flow to dry things out. Skirts instead of pants ( ok maybe NOT commando and skirts at the same time) or looser, flowy clothes on the bottom.

You might try switching detergents, pregnancy does some weird things to body chemistry. Maybe you are reacting to something that your non-pregnant self is ok with.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #9
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

With my 3rd pregnancy I had the same thing, a constant, maddening itchiness. My doctor didn't look at it, but prescribed a yeast cream similar to what you'd use for yeast diaper rash. SO much better! I never got a full-blown yeast infection, just that external itchiness.

It happened again with this 5th baby and I asked for the same cream. Works like a charm. If your midwife doesn't want to prescribe anything, you could try an OTC yeast treatment and just use it externally.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages

Last edited by Southernbelle; 04-01-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Southernbelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

sorry only relief I have when like that is take the hair brush and s sartch the poo out of it....