Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me think of breastfeeding gifts

I work at WIC and we have been giving breastfeeding gifts specifically from the Peer Counselor. At the moment I'm giving a bag with ice cube trays for freezing milk, a note pad, pen, and a little jewel to go on your bra strap so you know what side to nurse on next. It also has some helpful fliers and information included.

The CPA gives bf moms a gift as well. They can pick a cover or washable nursing pads or nursing bras or a little cooler to carry milk in.

We also give gifts of t-shirts for mom or baby at 3 months and a tote or weaning book at one year. I personally am not fond of the weaning book as I prefer to encourage moms to nurse as long as possible. But giving it at a year or when moms request information on weaning was as much as I could postpone it.

What kind of gift would you like to see? Cost is of course and issue. I like it to be thinks moms will actually use and that promote breastfeeding. I also use the gifts to help form a bond with my moms and always include my contact info so they can reach me when needed.

Advertisement

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
hippieftmama
Registered Users

I received a breastfeeding magazine/booklet (I think from march of dimes) at my WIC office, which I found to be helpful. Some other suggestions would be nipple cream, milk storage bags/bottles, information on using a pump to maintain supply, and information on bottle feeding a breastfed babies, the latter two being for moms returning to work/school.
hippieftmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
thelilprincess
Registered Users

Re: Help me think of breastfeeding gifts

do they access to lactation consultants? i think this can be so helpful for those having trouble with bf'ing. i mean, with my first, we were tight on money since we had a new mortgage so i never followed up with an LC after leaving the hospital. i think it could have been so helpful after i returned to work and started having trouble pumping enough supply.

i'm lucky that this time around my hospital offers it for free. i plan on attending at least one class.
thelilprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelilprincess View Post
do they access to lactation consultants? i think this can be so helpful for those having trouble with bf'ing. i mean, with my first, we were tight on money since we had a new mortgage so i never followed up with an LC after leaving the hospital. i think it could have been so helpful after i returned to work and started having trouble pumping enough supply.

i'm lucky that this time around my hospital offers it for free. i plan on attending at least one class.
I'm the lactation counselor at my WIC office. So the bag has breastfeeding information and information on the peer counselor program and how to reach me and all. I contact my bf moms once a week for the first 6 weeks and monthly (or more if needed) for up to the first year.

I like giving the moms gifts. I give a book on breastfeeding when I meet them prenatally and then other gifts once they have the baby and are breastfeeding.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
aravae
Registered Users
seller

Water bottle? Super helpful to have while you're nursing.
aravae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Something like the Milkies Milk Saver? Otherwise how are you expecting them to get the milk to go into the ice cube trays? That may be out of budget though...
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #7
Bear's Lady
Registered Users

I like the water bottle idea! (I tried to come up with something else, but the CPA got all the great stuff!! lol)
Bear's Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
K&R&Js Mom
Registered Users

Water bottle is a good idea - you could probably even get them printed with the name/phone of your agency. I'm drinking like fifty glasses of water a day lately! I agree with the nipple cream too, and notepad/pen for keeping track of when last feeding was.

My 9yo made me one of those stretchy rubber band bracelets that I use to remember which side to start on. Maybe you could have a local scout troop make up a bunch as a service project? It's way easier than the bra-strap safety pin I used with the older kids!
K&R&Js Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I love the Jewel pin you're already doing. Water bottles are good but I got one from my hospital that was way too huge, so that can be something to consider.

For me, a bracelet (or the jewel)... maybe a magnet about how long you can store breastmilk in the fridge/freezer/etc. That's such a frequent google search for lots of new moms.

I dont like a lot of storing things though since I never try to build a stash. I have snappies up the wazoo from the lc.

A simple nursing necklace is good because distracted murders are always a question on my breastfeeding support page.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 04-05-2014 at 01:12 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
A simple nursing necklace is good because distracted murders are always a question on my breastfeeding support page.

I was going to suggest a nursing necklace. What about a handout on how to babywear and nurse?
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote