Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

We just got our new to us deep freeze put in the garage! We're looking at buying a whole pig. Does anyone do this? Are you happy w your savings? What about a half or quarter of a cow? And last what else do you all stock up on for your freezer?

Advertisement

Last edited by s2grace; 04-27-2014 at 06:32 AM.
s2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have always wanted to get a pig, but haven't yet- we do get a quarter cow every year... the rest of our freezer is full of vegetables I garden in the summer. Also some deer- my husband hunts.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Len27
Registered Users
seller

Re: Buying a whole pig...

we do a half pig a few times a year and have split a quarter of a cow a few times. more than that and it would sit in the freezer for quite a while for us. love having a well stocked freezer though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

What's a good price for a half pig? I think when it is all done and processed she said like 2.88/lb?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

We do a 1/2 cow every year. It's local, antibiotic and hormone free, grass fed, cut to our specs and vacuumed sealed. Last years cow was small, about $785. A year later I still have about 30lbs of ground beef, 3 steaks and a tiny roast. Not a spec of freezer burn and still tastes great.

I just picked up this years cow. We received just over 225 lbs of beef and we paid $925. I think our family of (soon to be) 7 is going to have to eat beef 4x a week to tackle this guy!

DH also shot a deer this past fall, so we are stocked!

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
artemis33
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have been getting a whole pastured hog for the past several years. It ends up being around $750 or so and lasts the whole year, usually with a little left at the end.

I would love to also get a 1/2 cow but I need another freezer I think I could fit 1/2 hog and 1/4 cow in mine so we might try that out and see how it lasts us.

Besides the pork, I stock up on butter when it is on sale, in season fruit, homemade chicken stock, and beans (I usually cook 2-3lbs from dry at once and then freeze some in pint or quart jars for later).
artemis33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Npreyer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wish I had room for a quarter animal! We are thinking about making space for a 1/4 cow.

We do stock up on quarts of homemade chicken stock in the freezer (I make batches with leftover roast chicken carcasses). I also stock up on strawberries every two years-I buy $50-$100 worth at pick your own fields, wash and cap them, and freeze in two pound increments. They're not good for fresh eating after freezing, but they're great for muffins, jams, pancakes, etc. There's no flavor comparison between fresh, quickly frozen berries and out of season! Finally, I stock up of salmon halves when wild caught salmon is in season-it's so much more expensive than farmed salmon but it's close in price when it's in season.
Npreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We got some of the pork from our friend's share. It was more marbelized than the pork you find in the market. We thought it was delicious. Our friend's didn't care for it which is how we got some of it.
The prices you are quoting are much lower than the prices we get here.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
newmamaonthefarm
Registered Users
seller

My husband and I raise beef, pork, and lamb and if you end up paying 2.88/lb total that is very very cheap ad the quality should be much much higher. We always have lots of our homegrown meat in our two upright freezers as well as lots of fruits and veggies from the garden. Whenever I make a casserole I like to double it and put one in the freezer for a busy night later. I also freeze quick dinners like freezer sandwiches, empanadas, and enchiladas in bags counted out for meals. Keeping ravioli on hand also guarantees a 10 minute supper on the table so I usually have that too. Like a pp said I also stock up on organic butter when it's on sale so we always have a stock of it. Can you tell I'm kind of passionate about freezers and meat? Lol!
newmamaonthefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

Ok ladies , how do you cook beans and then jar them? W a liquid? And do you put your ckn stick in bags or jars?

We got a pig and paid 256 ($1/lb live weight) then paid the locker for processing and it was 161 for that. I'm not sure how much we got out our freezers looking good and the pork chiops we grilled were great!