Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
birdhouse
Registered Users

Donating Freezer Stash

My son was born at 34 weeks in February and was in the NICU for three weeks. I pumped exclusively at least every 3 hours during those weeks and for a couple weeks after he got home - fortunately he was able to nurse normally soon after.

I have about 500 oz of frozen milk (I haven't counted it all exactly yet) and I've been looking into donating it. I have a couple of hangups though.

I'm still terrified that I'm going to need it - like my supply is going to drop or he'll suddenly stop nursing or something and I'm going to wish I still had it. I know this is ridiculous.

I've been looking at casual donation and I'm worried about the other baby getting sick or something from my milk - which is also silly, because I was pumping for a preemie and being really careful and it probably isn't likely. But the milk bank is a really involved process that will take a few weeks and involved doctor visits that I don't really have time for right now.

I just don't know what to do

Advertisement

birdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Donating Freezer Stash

I have always kept a full week of BM on hand in the freezer for each of mine just in case I would ever need it. I never have. But, BM is liquid gold and difficult to part with. I have donated over 3000 oz over the years and its a wonderful thing to do!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
birdhouse
Registered Users

Wow, that's a lot! Do you use a milk bank? If so, is it really complicated?
birdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it is a lot but its been over 4 nursing periods and 9 years . I have always donated word of mouth to friends. Human Milk 4 Human Babies has a FB page for almost every state that can match donors and recipients.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
IowaGold
Registered Users
seller

I'm like you-afraid to donate and then find out I need it! I did go ahead and donate 350 ounces to a milk bank but I'm keeping the rest until DD2 is around 6 months old, then I'll start donating some again. The milk bank was pretty easy. All I had to have was a blood draw (and they sent the lady to my house to get the sample) and my and DD's doctors had to sign a form. I'm probably going to look into private donation for the rest, but we'll see as the milk bank is pretty easy.
IowaGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

We were recipients of donor milk for our DD through Human Milk for Human Babies. If you decide to go that route you just post what you have and location and people respond if they are nearby and need it. There is no testing just parents trusting other parents. It was such a blessing to receive the milk that we did, I'm tearing up just remembering those times. If you do decide to donate it, whether to a milk bank or other route, know that recipient mamas/papas are super appreciative of the gift!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
DIYerDad
Registered Users

We had to buy a chest freezer, and I kid not - it was eventually full to the brim with BM, even while BFing. We ended up sending BM in to daycare (on an ice pack). I don't think we ever gave my son formula -- at one point we were mixing fresh and thawed BM. We thought about donating, but couldn't find a local charity that would be willing to take it (maybe didn't look hard enough). Do what you are comfortable with.
DIYerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
Jayeh
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for posting this!! I found a mama in need that could use my frozen breast milk
Jayeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

Awesome! I've also donated through facebook. Everyone is always super thankful. When I first started donating I was also worried I would end up needing it, I just keep about a weeks worth on hand always. I figure if my supply starts to dip I'll just start pumping more.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #10
ghettobuggie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a wonderful thing to do! I'm not sure what resources there are in Canada for donation, but I'm going to look into it now
ghettobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote