Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Registered Users
playset on grass?

DH and I just bought a wood play set for our girls (2 yo and 3 mo). The instructions call for several inches of mulch under it vs. grass. Do most people buy that much mulch??? My swing set and jungle gym as a kid were just on grass (I know the argument of "well when I was a kid..." isn't really valid but I also realize that sometimes real life is different than what's "recommended").

IowaGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Ours is on grass, no mulch.
Suzi, working mama to my ODS(2004) , YDS(2006), DSD(2004) and married to the love of my life
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
If you Google it, you can find the recommended inches based on fall height. You should have something down, depending on the height of the playset. Ours was on grass growing up, too, but I also had a friend break her arm from a fall. Also consider how adventurous your kids are. Better safe than regret
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: playset on grass?

Its about protection. You just have to look at your kids and think if they need that extra protection or not. Mine are super cautious, they don't take risks, heck they don't even swing the full height. They are both unlikely to suffer a fall. My nieces on the other hand do all kinds of crazy stuff and really need some protection down. Ours has sand underneath just because dh built it completely from his plans by hand. Ours is also concreted into the ground- not sure if the regular wooden ones want you to do that or not. Most of the grass did not survive the building process so we put sand underneath.
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
Ours is grass. However I wish I has done mulch or something else. The landscapers weed wack around the wooden playset legs and it is damaging the wood around the entire base of the set. Our set is only 2 years old.
Adoption is my option!Adoptive Mom to Cory (6 years old)
Heartbreakingly long wait to adopt baby 2. (5 years waiting at this point with no end in sight) Please lord..end this wait soon.

Last edited by Kimmyann; 06-15-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:
On grass
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, amazon-my habit, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdie
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Registered Users

We have a toddler set on grass. It's not that big, he'll outgrow it by the time he's six, so we weren't that worried about it. If we had a bigger one, we definitely would have dug up the area and mulched it (a) because it's a longer term feature in the yard and the grass will get torn up and muddy, and (b) because it adds a layer of protection with the higher climb and fall possibilities. I'm not a nervous Nellie about these sorts of things, but kids climb and climbers fall - it's part of being a kid - and the mulch can literally soften the blow.

I'd mulch it.
munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
Senior Moderator

Ours is on grass but I love the idea of mulch just so I didn't have to cut the grass around it.
mama of 4
Get $10 at threadUP with me - great, cheap clothes
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
Registered Users

Mulch keeps it from getting muddy and nasty when they play. Also cuts down on mowing.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:

I never would've considered putting mulch around our playset But I can see the advantages safety-wise and aesthetically/for convenience with yard work. Those of you that you have mulch, do you also have some sort of border or does the mulch just meet the grass?
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote