Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Re: playset on grass?

I suppose if I had the extra cash, mulch would be nice. Ours is on grass, I'm just glad they have a play set. My son broke his leg from the 2nd rung up, going down in a mulched area. Things happen, even when you put them in a bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We had mulch at first and I began to hate it. For one thing, the chips become missile-like projectiles when ran over by the lawnmower. Of course the kids kick it out into the grass when playing. Then, as they begin to break down and dirt settles in between, weeds start popping out- growing on top of the carefully laid down weed mat and up through the mulch. Then, even with the drain we installed, the area would flood and wash the mulch out over the back boarder creating a bare spot/ trench. Needless to say, we took it all up and are trying to get the grass to grow in. I am considering rubber mats for under the swings because of the bare spots from feet rubbing. I think the minimum for mulching a play area is 4 inches. That's how much we put down and it was about 4 truck loads in a dodge Dakota at $45 each. Our area is about 22' x 15' It took us about 5 hours to shovel it all up and move it into the woods when we decided to get rid of it. Lots of back and forth with the wheelbarrow.
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have mulch with landscape timbers on the boarders. I like it. We just put a fresh layer down every year on top if the old broken down stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #14
cbreeding
Registered Users

Just grass. Honestly if we had mulch, the kids would just play with it and it would get all around the yard.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

If we were going to do a playset, I would figure out how to go the extra mile and get the recycled tire bits instead of traditional mulch. I love the idea of the solid, yet squishy, rubber that a lot of playgrounds have.

In reality, though, we would probably just have sand, or even just dirt. I would want a marked off area free of grass, though, simply because it would be a pain to mow around.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
If we were going to do a playset, I would figure out how to go the extra mile and get the recycled tire bits instead of traditional mulch. I love the idea of the solid, yet squishy, rubber that a lot of playgrounds have.

In reality, though, we would probably just have sand, or even just dirt. I would want a marked off area free of grass, though, simply because it would be a pain to mow around.
My sister has that recycled tire stuff and it gets blazing hot in summer and is a disgusting mess when it rains.

We are putting pea gravel down this year, with a railroad tie border to keep it in. Our driveway and flower beds are pea gravel as well so it will all tie together, and I won't have to refill it every year. Doing it over, I would have put river rock in the flower beds instead (which is basically just much bigger pea gravel) because it is "squishy" when walked on and my plants get pea gravel on them.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #17
KaliShanti
Registered Users
seller

grass. I have never considered otherwise.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #18
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Grass. It is a PITB alone to re-mulch my flower gardens every year.

No way would I do the recycled tire. It is gross and disgusting. My kids played at a friends that did that and they came home black. Their lets, arms, clothes everything was stained. My friend said she wished she had never done it. It was even worse right after it rained.