Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

EBF Moms: Help! Advice & Opinions Needed!

My daughter Olivia, is 28 weeks today.. We went to the doctor and found out she's actually lost 2oz. Since her last check up... Her Head circumference is still growing and she's very active and advanced in milestones for her age so it doesn't make sense.. Obviously this is causing so much stress on me.

The problem is that Olivia is a drive by eater, as the lactation consultant suggested.. She will latch and suck for a moment or two.. Unlatch.. Look around.. Then root, latch, unlatch, look around, whine, root, latch and unlatch.. I'm not exaggerating when I say I this can go on for hours if not all day... The only time Olivia eats without distraction is during her night time feelings and sometimes right when she's ready to wake up for the day.

My LC also said she feels like Olivia is very lazy with feedings and her latch because she prefers a pacifier. She suggested I no Longer use a paci, except for bedtime.

Today has been so rough and long for us both. I've been recording feedings. The more I pressure her to eat and stay persistent the more angry Olivia acts. I know she was tired so I lay her down with me to try sleep feeding and she won't have it, but when I give her a paci she went right to sleep..

I started noticing behaviors like this a couple of months ago.. She stopped sleeping through the night and started irregularly eating without interest.
She does have as few as 6 diapers a day like she should but she's not gaining weight.
Side note* She doesn't have GERD either.

I know every woman's BF experience is different but I know any advice would help. Surely there are women out there who have braced through this and conquered their battles.. Women had been nursing for centuries before formula was invented as an easy out, so I'm sure my dilemma isn't unheard of. I drink breastfeeding tea, drink a gallon of water a day, make a super healthy smoothie everyday, never have caffeine, or fast food as well as taking my vitamins.. My LC hasn't seen a baby like Olivia who will go a half an hour on and off though..

Please help someone! I'm torn between feeling like I'm failing my daughter and as as a nursing mom

Happy Mama

Advertisement

TiffaithRandalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: EBF Moms: Help! Advice & Opinions Needed!

You are drinking tea plus a gallon of water a day?

If so that may well be too much water. Not sure if that matters at all but you really don't need to down that much fluid.

Anyway I would try to find a quiet area with as few distractions as possible to breastfeed several times through the day. More time at the breast at one time can insure she is getting the fatty hind milk versus the skim milk.

The LC is right. Pacis can interfere with breastfeeding. They do not always do so but for some kids it can be an issue. Pacis were designed to replace the breast so more paci time can mean less breast time.

I am not sure about your diet but how is your fat intake? You need fat as well.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

Thank you for the feedback!

It may be too much fluid but its less than half of what I weigh which is what I thought was suggested. I feel like I dehydrate fast (I live in For Irwin, CA so it's about 110 degrees here)
I take Olivia in my room or hers and she still seems wildly distracted. I truly think it's exhaust of her paci.

I've only been giving it to her while she sleeps now..

My main concern also is that she's not getting the fatty milk either I'm so worried.. She acts very enthusiastic and excited but she's fussy often so that may be why and it scares me.

And as for the fats I'm getting, I think I'm getting enough? I'm almost positive seeing as I'm not lean myself, I'm average weight and that's a good indicator that I'm getting plenty of fat but I could be wrong.

Happy Mama
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

How much do you weigh if you don't mind my asking?

If she is getting primarily foremilk that can cause gassiness which would explain her fussiness.

You should be drinking half your weight in oz, more on hot days or days with vigorous exercise. So if you weigh in at 150lbs then around 75oz of fluids or 9 1/2 8oz glasses of water.

Drinking a lot of water can flush your system. It can also leave you feeling more thirsty.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Once mine would get easily distracted, I started nursing laying down in my bed. I kept the room dim, quiet and I forbid the other kids from interrupting unless it was an emergency.

Have you tried sleep feeding her? That's how I used to work through nursing strikes. Let her fall asleep, with or without the pacifier, then take it out and latch her on for a dream feed.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Have you tried a nursing necklace to give Olivia something to focus on that keeps her facing your breast?
What about an overactive let down? My second child wouldn't put up with it at all and would pull off my breast multiple times while nursing.

As far as fats you're getting.... I don't think that really is a factor. I had a friend who was super skinny and ate really healthy but lean and one of her kiddos was HUGE. Mama's milk did good for him. Point is, your size has nothing to do with the quality of your milk. I don't think there is anything wrong with your milk. It definitely sounds like your LO is working through something.

I applaud you for staying strong! I gave up with my second child around 5 months because DH was deployed and I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to fight it out. Good job mama!
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My little guy was really bad with distractabillity by the time he was about 2 months old he would refuse to nurse unless I was in his room, with the lights off, and no noise- otherwise he would do like you describe and latch and relatch, etc... He was/is my first- so I was able to cater to these demands but not sure what I will do if my next one is that way. DS was also a very lazy nurser- in fact he got sick when he was about 10 days old and wouldn't eat for awhile, my milk had just come in a few days before, so I was pretty much leaking milk, we had to meet with a LC (while at the hospital with him) several times bc DS would latch and then just sit there and not suck, expecting milk to just fall in his mouth- and then get mad or give up when it didn't. I had to use a syringe for awhile filled with expressed milk that I would squirt in his mouth right after he latched to get him to start sucking, and sometimes again when he was distracted.

Last edited by saraley; 07-10-2014 at 09:11 PM.
saraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

How do I reply to individual responses?

Happy Mama
Old 07-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

Anyway I fluctuate between 143 and 148. So at most I have a gallon.. My pulse always sky rockets if I don't have enough water so I always try to drink a gallon to be safe.

I've heard of dream eating before but wasn't sure what it meant. I will try that for sure!

And I have never heard of a nursing necklace! I have to get one of those!! Great great great idea thank you so much!

Happy Mama
Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Click on quote and you will be able to direct your comment to that person.