Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: EBF Moms: Help! Advice & Opinions Needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaithRandalls View Post
Anyway I fluctuate between 143 and 148. So at most I have a gallon.. My pulse always sky rockets if I don't have enough water so I always try to drink a gallon to be safe.

I've heard of dream eating before but wasn't sure what it meant. I will try that for sure!

And I have never heard of a nursing necklace! I have to get one of those!! Great great great idea thank you so much!

Happy Mama
A gallon of water is almost your entire body weight (in oz represented as pounds). The nursing necklace are awesome and brightly colored.

Advertisement

Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
Crunchy Kaley
Registered Users

My son started doing this at about the same age and I realized my supply had gotten low. I started taking more milk plus and pumping after every feeding. After my supply improved he was way more interested.

It was especially challenging because he was at daycare 5 days/week and started a nursing strike. My lactation consultant reminded me that although cuddling is great he is going to go for the food, aka bottle.
Crunchy Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaithRandalls View Post
Anyway I fluctuate between 143 and 148. So at most I have a gallon.. My pulse always sky rockets if I don't have enough water so I always try to drink a gallon to be safe.

I've heard of dream eating before but wasn't sure what it meant. I will try that for sure!

And I have never heard of a nursing necklace! I have to get one of those!! Great great great idea thank you so much!

Happy Mama
Half of 144 is 72--you need 72 ounces of fluid a day, not 128 ounces (1 gallon). It doesn't have to be just water, either. Milk and uncaffeinated tea are mostly water and also count towards that 72 ounce (9 cups) total.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Kaley View Post
My son started doing this at about the same age and I realized my supply had gotten low. I started taking more milk plus and pumping after every feeding. After my supply improved he was way more interested.

It was especially challenging because he was at daycare 5 days/week and started a nursing strike. My lactation consultant reminded me that although cuddling is great he is going to go for the food, aka bottle.
What's milk plus?? And that seems about right!

Happy Mama
TiffaithRandalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
Half of 144 is 72--you need 72 ounces of fluid a day, not 128 ounces (1 gallon). It doesn't have to be just water, either. Milk and uncaffeinated tea are mostly water and also count towards that 72 ounce (9 cups) total.
Okay so I should be good, I definitely vary liquids and half the time I don't finish the gallon anyway

Happy Mama
Old 07-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #16
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum Bums View Post
A gallon of water is almost your entire body weight (in oz represented as pounds). The nursing necklace are awesome and brightly colored.
I've been looking at nursing necklaces I put some of her toys around my neck (they connect in a necklace shape) to see if she'd be interested and she wasn't lol

Happy Mama
Old 07-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #17
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley View Post
My little guy was really bad with distractabillity by the time he was about 2 months old he would refuse to nurse unless I was in his room, with the lights off, and no noise- otherwise he would do like you describe and latch and relatch, etc... He was/is my first- so I was able to cater to these demands but not sure what I will do if my next one is that way. DS was also a very lazy nurser- in fact he got sick when he was about 10 days old and wouldn't eat for awhile, my milk had just come in a few days before, so I was pretty much leaking milk, we had to meet with a LC (while at the hospital with him) several times bc DS would latch and then just sit there and not suck, expecting milk to just fall in his mouth- and then get mad or give up when it didn't. I had to use a syringe for awhile filled with expressed milk that I would squirt in his mouth right after he latched to get him to start sucking, and sometimes again when he was distracted.
So much of that reminds me of my daughter.. I really hope things change soon. I went back to the doctor today and they just think she's a drive by eater

Happy Mama
Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #18
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum Bums View Post
Have you tried a nursing necklace to give Olivia something to focus on that keeps her facing your breast?
What about an overactive let down? My second child wouldn't put up with it at all and would pull off my breast multiple times while nursing.

As far as fats you're getting.... I don't think that really is a factor. I had a friend who was super skinny and ate really healthy but lean and one of her kiddos was HUGE. Mama's milk did good for him. Point is, your size has nothing to do with the quality of your milk. I don't think there is anything wrong with your milk. It definitely sounds like your LO is working through something.

I applaud you for staying strong! I gave up with my second child around 5 months because DH was deployed and I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to fight it out. Good job mama!
Where are you and your husband stationed? We're in fort Irwin ca, it's awful here!

Happy Mama
Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #19
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post
Once mine would get easily distracted, I started nursing laying down in my bed. I kept the room dim, quiet and I forbid the other kids from interrupting unless it was an emergency.

Have you tried sleep feeding her? That's how I used to work through nursing strikes. Let her fall asleep, with or without the pacifier, then take it out and latch her on for a dream feed.
She won't dream feed anymore but it would make me so happy if she would. Any advice on how to get her into it? Whenever I try she cries now lol

Happy Mama
Old 07-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #20
TiffaithRandalls
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
You are drinking tea plus a gallon of water a day?

If so that may well be too much water. Not sure if that matters at all but you really don't need to down that much fluid.

Anyway I would try to find a quiet area with as few distractions as possible to breastfeed several times through the day. More time at the breast at one time can insure she is getting the fatty hind milk versus the skim milk.

The LC is right. Pacis can interfere with breastfeeding. They do not always do so but for some kids it can be an issue. Pacis were designed to replace the breast so more paci time can mean less breast time.

I am not sure about your diet but how is your fat intake? You need fat as well.
I'm thinking of just tossing the paci all together.. Not even for bed but she will be so upset

Happy Mama