Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vax schedule for older kids

DS2 (7.5 years) and DS3 (4 years) have never had any vaccinations. All the information of schedules and advice is for babies; where can I find info for older kids? Need info on which vaxes to start with and how to space them out safely without overloading their systems. When I ask any dr or nurses they always suggest some crazy "fast track" schedule with makes me really uncomfortable.

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: Vax schedule for older kids

Do you know of any local doctors who are friendly to delayed vaccines who could help you make the right schedule for you? Otherwise, I might start with Dr. Sears. Not too sure. But I know once kids reach a certain age, there are vaccines which can then be skipped because they are only intended for younger patients. I'd also start by looking at which vaccines are truly required for schools vs just on the standard schedule. There are often some that are not needed for school/travel if that is part of your concern. Personally, our pediatrican is friendly to alternative schedules and even works to try to find individual doses of vaccines rather than the 3 in 1, 5 in 1 shots and is always working to try to bring in the vaccines that are cultured differently than some of the mainstream ones in the US so if we wanted to catch our kids up, I'd go straight to him for help in coming up with a schedule for our family.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchkids View Post
Do you know of any local doctors who are friendly to delayed vaccines who could help you make the right schedule for you? Otherwise, I might start with Dr. Sears. Not too sure. But I know once kids reach a certain age, there are vaccines which can then be skipped because they are only intended for younger patients. I'd also start by looking at which vaccines are truly required for schools vs just on the standard schedule. There are often some that are not needed for school/travel if that is part of your concern. Personally, our pediatrican is friendly to alternative schedules and even works to try to find individual doses of vaccines rather than the 3 in 1, 5 in 1 shots and is always working to try to bring in the vaccines that are cultured differently than some of the mainstream ones in the US so if we wanted to catch our kids up, I'd go straight to him for help in coming up with a schedule for our family.
Your doc is worth his weight in gold! We had a good one but he moved out of state :-(

I would compare the Sears schedule with the one the doc suggests & make my own based on both.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
lillypie82
Registered Users
seller

It's pretty involved, but you can look at the CDC Pink Book for information on each vaccine and the recommended number/schedule of doses. There's a link for each disease.

Off the top of my head, I think you are past the time frame for needing Hib, PCV, and Rotavirus (they are given for younger babies but not necessary for older). Most of the other vaccines they will need fewer doses since they are starting older.

Are you trying to catch them up for school or just for their protection in general?
Cyber Monday sale - save up to 30%! See my shop for details
lillypie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
lillypie82
Registered Users
seller

Here's another good resource - look at the "catchup" section under each vaccine http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedule...chedule-pr.pdf

Looking through that and the Pink Book (I've been meaning to do this anyways for my almost-5 year old I'm thinking of getting some vaccines) after age 4 they need a lot fewer.

I'm not a doctor, but from reading the CDC info these are the required # of doses for each of the major "school requirement" vaccines.

DTaP - 3 doses separated by at least 4-8 weeks, 4th dose after 6-12 months
*or just 1 dose of Tdap if 7+ years old
Polio - 2 doses separated by 2 months, 3rd dose after 6 months (if after age 4)
MMR - 2 doses separated by at least 4 weeks
Hep A - 2 doses separated by 6-12 months
Hep B - 2 doses separated by at least 1 month, 3rd dose after 4-6 months
Varicella - 2 doses separated by at least 3 months

Scheduling would depend on how often you want to go in to the doctor, how many shots you are willing to give at one visit, and how soon you want them "caught up".
Cyber Monday sale - save up to 30%! See my shop for details
lillypie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I wish we did. We have military insurance and are pretty much stuck with whomever we are assigned on base. I tried to speak with the last ped we saw but was very much brushed off.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #7
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypie82 View Post
It's pretty involved, but you can look at the CDC Pink Book for information on each vaccine and the recommended number/schedule of doses. There's a link for each disease.

Off the top of my head, I think you are past the time frame for needing Hib, PCV, and Rotavirus (they are given for younger babies but not necessary for older). Most of the other vaccines they will need fewer doses since they are starting older.

Are you trying to catch them up for school or just for their protection in general?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypie82 View Post
Here's another good resource - look at the "catchup" section under each vaccine http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedule...chedule-pr.pdf

Looking through that and the Pink Book (I've been meaning to do this anyways for my almost-5 year old I'm thinking of getting some vaccines) after age 4 they need a lot fewer.

I'm not a doctor, but from reading the CDC info these are the required # of doses for each of the major "school requirement" vaccines.

DTaP - 3 doses separated by at least 4-8 weeks, 4th dose after 6-12 months
*or just 1 dose of Tdap if 7+ years old
Polio - 2 doses separated by 2 months, 3rd dose after 6 months (if after age 4)
MMR - 2 doses separated by at least 4 weeks
Hep A - 2 doses separated by 6-12 months
Hep B - 2 doses separated by at least 1 month, 3rd dose after 4-6 months
Varicella - 2 doses separated by at least 3 months

Scheduling would depend on how often you want to go in to the doctor, how many shots you are willing to give at one visit, and how soon you want them "caught up".
Thank you. Those are good places to start.
Not trying to catch up for school, we already have waivers for the kids but we would like to get stationed overseas in the next few years and I would feel more comfortable having some time now to look into it and time to space them out/prepare.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #8
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Our ped takes Tricare. I realize how blessed we are to have him. Honestly, if you have trouble finding a doc on base to help, I would consider switching to Standard and going off base because it's important when catching up to not get an overload in their system. Good luck with everything.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Our ped takes Tricare. I realize how blessed we are to have him. Honestly, if you have trouble finding a doc on base to help, I would consider switching to Standard and going off base because it's important when catching up to not get an overload in their system. Good luck with everything.
We've been on Standard in the past to have better peds, so I've thought about it. I'm mainly concerned about cost at this point; I have three highly active boys. Would I have to pay for each visit to get vaccinations? I really need to look into it more.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Paying for visits depends on your coverage and doctors.

I've had two different insurance companies and 3 different "PCP offices" for my kids (sorry, never tricare). On 1 insurance, with 1 PCP office (Kaiser, which runs its own hospitals, its own urgent care facilities, and all its own doctors, no going outside unless you are way out in the sticks), I never pay anything for shot-only visits. They are nurse visits and are free. Just like getting TB tests or stopping by for updated shot records.

On the other insurance (Pacificare), I had 2 different PCP offices. One was a big office that had multiple PCPs and a nurse-clinic. If I brought my kids in for shots only, we went to the nurse clinic and the visit was free. The other office was much smaller and did not have a nurse clinic. If I wanted a shot-only visit, I still had to make a dr. appt and pay a copay. Supposedly, when I checked in and told them I only wanted shots and did not need to see the doctor, I was supposed to not need to pay the copay and instead just get called back to see the nurse, but it never happened that way.

In many states (including CA, where I live), shots are free at the County Health Department Clinic. There is usually no office visit fee and they don't bill your insurance. The waits can be long though. However, it may be an option in your area if you'd have to pay to go to your dr's office just for shots.