Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Covers for 5lb baby

I just had my sweet little daisy this morning at 36 weeks and she was 5lb 14 oz and is the littlest peanut. What covers should I buy that will work when we get home in a couple days? I have newborn econobums, thirsties xsmall and bummis newborn at home but I want to buy a handful of ones that are garuntee not to swallow her.

Deirdre~ Wife to Joe & Momma to Emily, Lilly, Joseph, Maggie & Daisy who is due in August!

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
abemom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Covers for 5lb baby

How exciting! Glad both you and baby are fine. The Bummis super brite are good for small babies.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Never had a baby that tiny, so I'm no help with that.... But couldn't read this and not say congratulations!! So exciting!
love2bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations, mama!!!

5 lbers are amazingly doll-like. Have fun! Praying for health for all!!

As for covers, these are awesome:
http://www.abbyslane.com/Prorap-Clas...ver_p_117.html
By far my fave for newbies. Preemie fits 4-6 lbs.
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^^oh, and I linked to my favorite store because shipping is super fast, so if you order today I'd guess they'd be at your house Monday.

Blessings!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say definitely bummis superbrites because they run smaller than bummis super whisper wraps. Not sure which bummis covers you have. I bet you could use a nice fluffy washcloth prefold style and get a super trim fit, too.
Congrats Mama!

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 07-18-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

I also recommend Bummis Super Brite (Not SWW). DS was 5 lbs 8 oz and that was the only cover I had that fit him in the beginning. Blueberry Mini Coverall & Thirsties Duo size 1 fit soon after that, around 6 lbs.

This is the Super Brite, probably around 5 lbs 10 oz. I should have done this tighter, but it was my second time putting on a cloth diaper.

This is the Mini Coverall, around 6 lbs. He outgrew this just barely at 14 lbs 10 oz.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
steph_marie9
Registered Users

I'd probably go with Bummis Superbright as well. I had one for my 8 lb. baby, and it was outgrown very quickly. It was fine with me, because I really just wanted it to fit until the cord fell off. Bummis original are supposed to be tiny, too, but they're more for trifolding a preemie PF into. I had a 4.5 lb. 36 weeker 8 years ago, and the only preemie covers I had were proraps. I hated them! The legs gapped horribly. They didn't fit until the NB size pretty much fit as well. My mother ended up crocheting a few preemie wool soakers, and that's mostly what we used until our NB things fit, which was right around 6 lbs., as I recall. So depending on how fast your LO grows and chunks up a bit, you might not have long to wait. Green Mountain Diapers has some info on preemies/small newborns on their site.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
nannorie85
Registered Users
seller
seller

Congratulations! Mine was 5.10. Such tiny little peanuts. Here is what I had in order of preference, though to be fair I used disposables most of the time in the beginning because everything seemed so huge. Rumparooz; the material is soft and the snaps also make it so it squishes up nice around them. Dappi nylon pull on, again because is light weight and conforms so easily. They are super cheap with amazon prime. Preemie porwraps, my favorite out of the Velcro covers, but I found Velcro in general to make everything stiff and therefore more bulky. Bummis Super Brite I loved better as she got bigger. Thirsties. Hope that helps!

Last edited by nannorie85; 07-19-2014 at 08:06 AM.
nannorie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bummis super brite newborn!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote