Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
kimmyj
Registered Users

Bedwetting routine?

Hi All,

I know it's "normal" for kids to continue bed wetting up until 5/6 years sometimes. I'm wondering how you "deal with" frequent bed wetting.

Do your kids sleep through it and you find it in the morning? Does the peeing wake them up? Do you just keep them in diapers/pull ups?

What strategies do you use and what has worked? I have learned some kids just aren't ready to sleep through the night and it's best to wait until they are waking up dry for a few weeks in a row.

Our scenario: My son is 2 years, 3 months and NOT night trained. He has very infrequent dry nights and those have always included a middle-of-the-night trip to the rest room either initiated by him or me. He is a bad sleeper and accidents sometimes resulted in us being up for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night. I tried the pull ups (hoping to get him and us some rest), and after a few weeks he would sleep through accidents, but then we started having trouble during the days that I attributed to the pull ups -- so I switched him to cloth trainers (blueberrys) instead. He now is waking up when he has an accident and then going back to sleep when I change his trainers, which seems to be our ideal (well second ideal, first ideal would be no bed wetting ever).

Give me your ideas!!

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I keep them in diapers/pull ups til they wake up dry 5/7 nights at least consistently.

DD1 stopped at 2.5 years.

At 3.5 DD2 still pees every night. She occasionally wets for naps.

At that age both girls were inconsistent during the day. They'd have periods of a week or so with tons of accidents.

Mostly they just sleep through it. We have waterproof mattress covers under the sheets.

Irregular bedwetting can be normal until age 8 I believe.

Last edited by mibarra; 07-18-2014 at 03:11 PM.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
kimmyj
Registered Users

Re: Bedwetting routine?

Our situation is accidents pretty much every night, more often than not multiple accidents. Our days are like you described--irregular. We have full weeks with zero accidents -- and then some weeks where it's just like he's lost it, and has 8+ accidents in a single week.

Our "clean up" isn't bad though, generally the trainers contain everything -sometimes his pants are damp. I keep a crib sized quilt under him just in case it leaks through, so if I have to wash bedding, it's minimal, but he doesn't flood, or even pee a lot at night. I change him, and he curls right up in my arms and goes back to sleep. He will not go back to sleep until I've changed him though. It's not really a big deal.

His pees during the day are the same. Super small and fairly frequent (every 1.5hr to 2hr), but it's very rare he has a napping accident.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I keep them in diapers/pull ups til they wake up dry 5/7 nights at least consistently.

This is sort of how I made the decision about switching DS to underwear at night. He wore a pull up for frequent (enough) nighttime accidents until age 6 when he started waking up consistently dry... He would usually wake up with wet clothes and need to change and lay somewhere else the rest of the night (I don't do middle of the night sheets changes )

My DD just potty trained at 3yo and she always had dry diapers at night so she went straight to underwear at night as soon as she learned to use the toilet during the day.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My oldest was dry at night before we even started day training, so she just went right into undies. My son wore pull-ups until he was 5 or so. For a couple years he could only make it through the night if we got him up to use the bathroom when we went to bed. If he woke up dry, though, we would re-use that pull-up once. YDD is still not dry at night and she's 7. She wears pull-ups because I just don't know what else would be good. She is the youngest, there's no diaper laundry to do, and I can't let the wet trainers sit for a week to get a decent sized load. She just sleeps so deep. I can't even get her up during the night like I did with DS. She goes from asleep to meltdown mode to back to sleep. DS, on the other hand, I could just stand him in front of the toilet and tell him to pee, and even if he wasn't really awake, he'd pee. For YDD we tried trainers, we tried regular underwear, thinking the wet would wake her up, but it doesn't.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

With my son, his frequent peeing and flooding was caused by dairy. To this day we know when his food even touches any dairy, by how he has to go very badly all of a sudden.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD1 and DD2 both consistently woke up in the morning dry by between 12 and 18 months - long before they were potty trained. So when they wore underwear during the day, they wore it at night as well. DS was 3 1/2 when he was finally consistently day trained but now at 4 1/2 (5 in Oct) he is only now starting to wake up if he needs to pee in the night. We've kept him in pull-ups up until now because he pees around 5:30 in the morning and then it wakes him up (if not in a pull up) and he's up for the day and hour before he's really ready to be up and then super crabby for the rest of the day. Now he is holding it most of the time until he's ready to wake up and most of the time he wakes up if he needs to pee sooner. He is down to a wet pull up maybe once a week and that is slowly starting to improve. I think we're about ready to declare this pack of pull-ups the last one we buy and just deal with the occasional accident. I'm hoping underwear might stop that rare one but if not I'll just strip the bed and deal with it.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
mwalker45678
Registered Users

I dont think its a good thin to wet the bed at that age. Its probably going to demotivate children. You should try using a bedwetting alarm. Both my children used a chummie bedwetting alarm and stopped bedwetting in 3 months.
Good luck!
mwalker45678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
kimmyj
Registered Users

I tried to research those alarms and found them to be for much older kids --like 4/5 years old. How old were your kids when you used them?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

We kept DD in pullups at night until she was dry about 50% of the time.
For a couple weeks, she'd sleep through wetting the bed and I wouldn't realize until after she woke up.
After that, she'd wake up in the middle of the night and cry that she wet the bed, or cry that she had to go potty (she's a bit of a crier...lol). She's been out of night diapers for about 6 months and this is still the routine. She wets the bed maybe once a month.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote