Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
EzraDaddy
Registered Users

Baby Signing

I've read so many things about teaching your baby sign language prior to them becoming verbal for various reasons. I'm very interested in trying this and purchased a few resources from the baby store. However, I'm interested in hearing from those of you who've tried this. How did you start? When did you start? I've got a 4mo old so I'm sure I should be starting soon!

Advertisement

EzraDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Signing

Check out Signing Time and Baby Signing Time- your local library may have the DVDs. There are some short clips on Youtube as well I believe.

We started right away- not super seriously, but as we gave choices or wanted to emphasize words. I think 4 months would be a good time to start. When you're giving him his bottle, sign milk. It's nice because when they're so tired in the middle of the night screaming, they might sign milk or water and you know what they want! Just pick up a few signs and start using them! My children have started signing back between 6-10 months- several months before their first verbal words.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I usually start signing with them around 5-6 months. We sign things like "more", "yes", "no", "please", "thank you", "sleep", "up", "down", etc. Things that are commonly used words. It has been very helpful with our babies, because they can begin to communicate their needs before they are verbal. My 10 month old just signed "thank you" for the first time today. He has been signing "hot" for a few weeks now.

We just start making the sign when we say the word. Some babies love to sign, others not so much. Even if it doesn't seem like they are picking up the signs, keep working at it, because they are noticing everything.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Signing Time is amazing.

Basic words like no, more, please, eat, drink, some favorite foods and toys, and mommy/daddy are good starts. Use it every time you say the word, they'll get it.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
mariposablue
Registered Users
seller

I think I was signing milk around that age but it was awhile before LO used it. This is my 1st (14 months) so I am just trying some of what others said, though I see other words to add. "More" and "all done" have been really helpful at meals! He uses "please" a lot. He also does "yes" and "help" None of them are done perfectly of course and someone else might not know what he means, but I tell my mom and daycare so they can use them too and understand him.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

We used ASL signs and started at about four months. That was because he was screaming to get his point across and we taught him "eat," "drink," "milk" and simple commands like that. Cut the screaming down to almost nothing.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
EzraDaddy
Registered Users

Thanks. I've heard a lot about the Baby Signing Time series since I started asking about this. I purchase it yesterday. Should arrive any day now. I'm looking forward to starting it!
EzraDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
stlittleton
Registered Users

We started signing with ds when he was around 8/9 months. We started out with a few easy basics milk, more, eat, all done, bed (yes, we got him to tell us when he was ready to lay down. ) It was a life saver, especially since he had a slight speech delay. We could at least communicate someway.

Just a few tips. You want to start with a few words, and once they have those down add in a few more. It'll take some time for them to understand, so don't give up. I'd say it probably took 4 to 6 weeks for him to get one or two of the first set we started. Be consistent. Every time we handed him a bottle we'd say and sign milk a few times, point to the bottle, and do it again. Get others on board, grandparents, caregivers, whoever may be around a lot! It'll help your baby to see others doing signs, and for your baby to be understood once he learns to sign. Once baby learns some signs they may not doing them correctly, it's ok. Just keep showing them the proper way and they should eventually get it. I can try to find the link to a website that I used. It has a huge list of signs, and has a bunch of helpful tips..
stlittleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
lilkidteach
Registered Users
seller

This web site helped me with words that I didn't know.

http://www.babysignlanguage.com/dictionary/
lilkidteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
lilkidteach
Registered Users
seller

This web site helped me with words that I didn't know.

http://www.babysignlanguage.com/dictionary/
lilkidteach is offline   Reply With Quote