Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS keeps food in his mouth

My DS is 19 months and has always had a habit of stuffing his mouth full of food but recently he has started keeping a mouth full. It's usually at the end of a meal or snack, meat more than anything but can be anything or a combination of foods. Anyone else have a little one that does/did this?

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
KendraR95
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: DS keeps food in his mouth

My son shovels food in his mouth. We haven't found anYthing to stop it from happening. However his therapist has us control his plate and give him one bite at a time. . That way He learns the appropriate way to eat. In theory he should start eating correctly after a while. He still goes back to shoveling when he's in control but we think it's more a sensory thing than anything so we work with it. But might work with your son?
KendraR95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The meat may be too difficult to chew/ swallow. End with liquid or appledauce/Mashed potatoes/oatmeal/pudding type.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
My son did that. They call it pocketing food. My son has oral sensory issues so he had therapy for it when he did speech therapy. He is 5 now and doesn't so it anymore even though he still has some pretty obvious oral fixations

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

my daughter was doing that too. she just turned 3 this month and I don't think she's held food in her mouth for a few months now. she seems to be outgrowing it. she usually held meat in her mouth and foods she didn't care for. sometimes she would hold a piece of apple or orange in her mouth then spit out the chewed up soggy yuck on the floor. we taught her to spit it in the trash and she did but now she hasn't been holding food.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
stlittleton
Registered Users

My son was doing that as well. It was almost always at the end of a meal/snack time. Sometimes I wouldn't even notice and as I was laying him down for a nap, he start chewing it up!

He was delayed in his speech and they said it could be he was having trouble moving his tongue to get it out of his cheeks. We did some exercises to get him to use his tongue more. Sticking it out and moving it from side to side etc. whether that actually helped I'm not really sure tho. He just seemed to out grow it, IMO.
stlittleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My DD used to do this as well, usually with green beans. I think she liked to suck on them, honestly!! She hasn't done this for a few yrs now though (she's 4.5).

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote