Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
busyteacher
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help me put words/organize my thoughts- oral issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley View Post
The other issue that I didn't realize could be related is that he was diagnosed with asthma about 6 months ago- the asthma meds seem to help him in the sense that his cough hasn't developed into ant major infections like it used to but it hasn't helped in the sense that he still always has a consistent cough and is always raspy like something is caught in his throat (sounds constantly croupy)- he will cough tell he throws up quite often. It was brought to our attention recently that this could actually be a reflux issue and not asthma at all- at least something worth checking into. The cough and raspiness has been going on since he was 6 weeks old.
Sounds like my son up until a couple of months the ago. We were on allergy/asthma meds year round for constant cough and congestion. Got a referral to an allergist and he was diagnosed with reflux. Complete new kid. I would definitely check into that for him. As for all the other I would for sure seek help. Throwing up that much would be a cause for concern in my mind. Good luck and I hope you get the answers/help you need.

Advertisement

busyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
The other issue that I didn't realize could be related is that he was diagnosed with asthma about 6 months ago- the asthma meds seem to help him in the sense that his cough hasn't developed into ant major infections like it used to but it hasn't helped in the sense that he still always has a consistent cough and is always raspy like something is caught in his throat (sounds constantly croupy)- he will cough tell he throws up quite often. It was brought to our attention recently that this could actually be a reflux issue and not asthma at all- at least something worth checking into. The cough and raspiness has been going on since he was 6 weeks old.
Hopefully that is all it is. Also be aware if there is a swallowing problem long term aspiration can also damage the lungs. Hopefully it is something simple like reflux. Reflux can cause feeding problems when children associate eating with pain. It might be worth doing a swallow study just to make sure. It is not an invasive procedure at all. He just has to eat some food with barium in it while they take x-rays. No needles and usually no doctor, our children's hospital sends in an SLP (specialized in feeding) and radiology tech that is all there is to it.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I called and setup an evaluation with early intervention. Also have apt with an actual pediatrician (not our regular family dctor), in 2 weeks.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #14
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I called and setup an evaluation with early intervention. Also have apt with an actual pediatrician (not our regular family dctor), in 2 weeks.
Sounds good! EI is a good place to start!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote