Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #11
Registered Users
Re: When did you have "the talk"

I try to speak plainly with my boys and offer them good literature to peruse at their own pace starting as soon as they can read. Some titles we have are "What's Happening to my Body", "It's Perfectly Normal", "Amazing You", "It's so Amazing"

And my older kids have always had the option (and chose to) of being present during the birth of their siblings, whether a home birth or hospital birth.

I came across this resource for girls, though, and though it might come in handy when DD is of age. I heard about it on a youtube vid "First Moon Party" which I don't recommend, although some might find it humorous. Anyways, the website. Not necessarily for the care packages (I am hoping DD will try cloth or the cup if it is not too weird for her socially) but for the questions, there seems to be some good info here. .

My mom was same as yours. The most she did was throw a box of pads at me in the bathroom and slam the door (on my first time). When I was older, I remember calling the help number on the box of tampons to learn how to insert one. SO awkward. I hope it will be a little better, if not A LOT better for my DD.

tinymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

We have had to talk about it much, much earlier (like age 4) because the girls on my side of the family have a predisposition to early puberty. I menstruated at 9, my cousin had pubic hair at 4, dd1 had pubic hair at 1 and dd2 just got it now at 4. We have some breast development happening here at age 8. So we have to talk about it, how it will happen to everyone but is happening to them sooner, but they are still "normal". I can expect them to menstruate early because of all this so I started talking about it with dd1 just recently. She is 8 and she was really cool about it.

My mom never had the talk with me, and consequently, getting my period still ranks as one of the all time worst days of my life- I cried all day and felt I had done something bad. She wouldn't really talk to me about it, even then. There was so much body shame, and I didn't like being different. But if I had been prepared it probably would have been a little easier. So I talk to my girls about their body changes, in a positive and age-appropriate way, so they will know and not be scared or embarrassed or any of that, but most of all, so they will know as a woman I experience(d) all the same things. It has been very empowering to change the script for them.
Mama to Julia, Ella, Asher and Maya- 3, 5, 7, and 9!

Last edited by viettasgirl; 08-04-2014 at 12:09 PM.
viettasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy
My Mood:

Not with my daughter yet, but my son just turned 9 and we had the talk a few months ago. We'd always been pretty straightforward about body parts and topics that came up, but that was "the" talk.

Originally Posted by GEM Cloth View Post
It was about this age. Around 9 or so. I kept waiting for her to ask questions and they never came so I started in on her LOL.
Yeah. I kept expecting DS to start asking anytime soon, but he didn't. I finally broached the subject with him and he was all emotional, told me he hadn't asked because he didn't want me to think he was bad. I had really tried not to give him that impression.

Originally Posted by tinymama View Post
"It's so Amazing"
We have that one and I really like it. DS was more comfortable reading through that than talking about it. (And he told me that now that he knows, it's so gross he'll probably stop thinking about it. )
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote