Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Cayenneroots
Registered Users
seller

How many rinses in your routine

How many Rinses does it take your Diapers to be Suds free and Clean? I currently do a Hot pre-wash, Warm wash and 2 cold rinses. I feel I could do a. 3rd as I still see some suds left but have felt guilty to do more then 2 with the severe drought going on here in California. And i haven't noticed any smells yet, but i do want to avoid build-up. I am using powdered Planet detergent up to 2nd line.

Does the type of detergent effect how many rinses you need?whats been your experience ? Or is more about how much detergent your using? I am hesitant to reduce amount of detergent as I want to make sure they are getting clean.

I have been thinking of ordering some Country Save, do you think that will help ?

Thanks all

Advertisement

Cayenneroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: How many rinses in your routine

If you only see a bit of suds I wouldn't worry about it. I do between 2-3 rinses primarily because in our current home I have found I need it to keep ammonia at bay. Otherwise I didn't use bleach and did 2 rinses. Never bothered to check on bubbles still in my washer in the final rinse. Never had any problems except when using Rock n Green. That was a detergent issue though.

Whatever you do remember your diapers are the dirtiest things you will be washing. Make sure you are using sufficient detergent to get them adequately clean. Too little and you will have ammonia. That isn't good. It can burn your baby's bottom.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I don't do any extra rinses. My hot wash cycle has a cold rinse built in and that's it.

Bubbles are irrelevent. Some detergents have more sudsing additives than others. Country Save doesn't have any, if I remember correctly. Biokleen Premium Plus powder is my favorite non-sudsing detergent.

Don't worry about detergent buildup. The cause of smelly diapers is bacteria and/or ammonia buildup, caused by either not enough detergent or too weak of detergent (many "CD safe" detergents are pretty weak). In my experience, Country Save is fine as long as I use a full scoop and a half. But mainstream detergent works better for me. I know that goes against everything you will read on how to wash cloth diapers, and those stupid CD detergent charts online, but trust those of us who have been doing this for years and years and years....

Cloth diapers are fabric. Just like clothes. Detergent has absolutely no effect on their longevity or effectiveness, just on their cleanliness. Wash your diapers the same way you would wash bedsheets that got puked on...Cold or warm prerinse, then a hot wash with a full amount of strong detergent. That's it.

Last edited by Melinda29; 08-03-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

One extra which is built into the cycle.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally I like no suds as well. So I play with detergent levels to see what gets the diapers clean and rinses clear in only one extra rinse (initally I run a second extra rinse and watch it to make sure it wasn't needed). If I can't get it to happen then I change detergents.

In my water softened water country save required too many rinses. I think it harder water it might be okay. I use bumgenius detergent.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
sarahnforrest
Registered Users

I'm currently doing three using rockin green . Which seems to be a bad idea but I'm not sure why rockin green is so disliked

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
sarahnforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnforrest View Post
I'm currently doing three using rockin green . Which seems to be a bad idea but I'm not sure why rockin green is so disliked

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
The only time I used Rock n Green people thought my kid had pooped his diapers. Only he had just peed. The Rock n Green didn't clean them. I was basically putting dirty diapers right back on my kid Right now there is a diaper on FSOT for cheap I would like for my son. Only it was washed in RnG. I don't want the hassle of making sure they are good and clean after being not washed in RnG so I am not offering for them. I like my diapers clean not well preserved in urine and watered down dissolved poop.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I'm not sure if you have hard water or not but if you are in Cali is guess you do. Hard water can look like it has soap or detergent in it when it's just mixing around. I'm not sure why. Are you sure there are less bubbles after your 2nd rinse? Also rinsing with hard water without detergent only causes more mineral deposits in your diaper fibers. I'm in San Diego and just do one extra rinse after the regular wash cycle. I think the planet detergent could be your issue rather than not enough rinses if you feel your diapers aren't clean

Last edited by carverjill; 08-03-2014 at 09:39 PM.
carverjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
Cayenneroots
Registered Users
seller

That makes a lot of sense, and yep I'm in SoCal. Do you guys have any detergent recommendations or should I go for the Country Save
Cayenneroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenneroots View Post
That makes a lot of sense, and yep I'm in SoCal. Do you guys have any detergent recommendations or should I go for the Country Save
Unless your usual detergent has fabric softener in it use whatever you would normally use on your laundry keeping in mind your diapers are covered in pee and poop and add detergent accordingly.