Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
Buffalobarb
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How many rinses in your routine

I do a quick cold wash with Country Save (just a small amount). Then a quick hot wash with or without a small amount of Country Save with an extra rinse then. This has worked great for me with my prefolds. I try to dry partially in the sun (natures best disinfectant) every so often then will finish in the dryer. 3 washes seems like an awful lot. I read it's important to use only a small amount of detergent to avoid build up.

Advertisement

Buffalobarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobarb View Post
I do a quick cold wash with Country Save (just a small amount). Then a quick hot wash with or without a small amount of Country Save with an extra rinse then. This has worked great for me with my prefolds. I try to dry partially in the sun (natures best disinfectant) every so often then will finish in the dryer. 3 washes seems like an awful lot. I read it's important to use only a small amount of detergent to avoid build up.
A lot of people have read that. A lot of cloth diaper websites and manufacturers continue to propogate that myth. And a LOT of people get stinky diapers because of it.

Cloth diapers are the DIRTIEST things you will ever wash, and they are made of fabric, just like your clothes. You can use regular detergent on them and plenty of it. Don't worry about buildup, unless it's bacteria buildup from not getting throughly clean!!!!!!!
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Yeah don't use just a little amount of detergent!

So cal has some of the hardest water in the world so its best to use some type of softner, a whole house one, calgon or a detergent with a softner in it like Tide.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
pokeyjr79
Registered Users
seller

I use the detergent amount for a "heavily soiled load" and then two extra rinses. And I only added an extra rinse last winter when my newbie seemed to have sensitive skin, I extra rinse all of our laundry.
pokeyjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnforrest View Post
I'm currently doing three using rockin green . Which seems to be a bad idea but I'm not sure why rockin green is so disliked

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
I disliked it because it flat out did not work. It left poop chunks on the diapers. Even after I increased the amount to a ridiculous amount the diapers still came out dingy and not really smelling all clean. Baby go horrrible rashes and the detergent ate holes in the fabric. It was just a nightmare.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #16
HopefullyMama
Registered Users
seller

Tide works well for most people. I do a "quick wash" after my main wash, but it's with a HE FL (horrible) washer. So that's probably like 3 rounds of water-agitate-drain to fully rinse them.
HopefullyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #17
cfarmfolks
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I don't do any extra rinses. My hot wash cycle has a cold rinse built in and that's it.

Bubbles are irrelevent. Some detergents have more sudsing additives than others. Country Save doesn't have any, if I remember correctly. Biokleen Premium Plus powder is my favorite non-sudsing detergent.

Don't worry about detergent buildup. The cause of smelly diapers is bacteria and/or ammonia buildup, caused by either not enough detergent or too weak of detergent (many "CD safe" detergents are pretty weak). In my experience, Country Save is fine as long as I use a full scoop and a half. But mainstream detergent works better for me. I know that goes against everything you will read on how to wash cloth diapers, and those stupid CD detergent charts online, but trust those of us who have been doing this for years and years and years....

Cloth diapers are fabric. Just like clothes. Detergent has absolutely no effect on their longevity or effectiveness, just on their cleanliness. Wash your diapers the same way you would wash bedsheets that got puked on...Cold or warm prerinse, then a hot wash with a full amount of strong detergent. That's it.
I was thinking this too..cloth diapers are just fabric, right?
I just ordered my first CD today. Some MF , some bamboo ( pockets).
I'm planning to use Tide ( just regular HE right?), and bleach at least once a week.
We have a top loading HE.
Honestly I've been reading through threads about people triple rinsing, cold wash,hot wash, my head is spinning and I'm thinking what the heck have I gotten myself into!!

Last edited by cfarmfolks; 08-14-2014 at 01:34 PM.
cfarmfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #18
MelissaDonielle
Registered Users

I was planning on using Tide as well. DH read on one site that Tide was a good one for CD as long as it wasn't the free and clear kind. Anybody else have any problems with it?
MelissaDonielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #19
nellycakes80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I switched to country save recently from Charlies, I think i have normal water.. It seems to be doing well. With Charlies I had to do an extra short wash w no detergent otherwise dd would get a rash. With CS I have been able to get by with just the extra rinse option.. I use 3/4 of a scoop. But do a prewash w vinegar and my loads are usually medium or in between medium and large..
Old 08-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #20
debdebdebby13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do a prewash with a couple tablespoons of Foca to loosen things up. Then I do a warm/hot full heavy wash with a full Tide scooper of Foca, probably almost a cup and an extra rinse at the end, that's it. I'm using Foca because it's cheap and it works. When I run out I may go back to Tide, or use the Tide pods I use on our clothes (perhaps 2 pods per diaper load, anyone have input on that?) Oh AND I throw in some Gain smelly goods usually, not softener, just the things that make them smell good, or Purex Crystals. My diapers are fabulous, clean, soft and smell lovely, absolutely NO issues. I don't baby my diapers :-D