Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
amboo8
Registered Users
seller

Help Me! I want to love wool, but need help!

Question about wool at night: I've heard that using a fitted with a wool cover at night is the best combo for night, but I'm not having any success. I really want wool to work bc I live in AZ and supposedly it's more breathable & more comfortable in the heat. This is what I've been doing for my 10 week old : 1. a Fab Fitted (Thirsties) with a large Geffen Super Absorber and a Chelory interlock wool cover (I was told it's night weight wool) 2. a Sbish OBF with the same wool cover 3. a bamboo velour fitted (don't know the brand...probably a China Cheapie, bought on Ebay) with the wool cover. Every single option has failed and he's damp all over front & back by morning. He usually wakes at 2am and 5am and sometimes he's already wet by 2am, so I have to change him and his clothes, which is a huge pain!

I've lanolized the cover twice and it looks like it's repelling water. I feel like I'm adding plenty of absorbency because whenever I have tried these fitteds with a Best Bottoms cover, I haven't had an issue. But the BB cover just seems uncomfortable and not breathable at all. Also, I feel like his diaper is so bulky that it's uncomfortable for him. Any tips on how to get wool to work? At this point, I really don't understand why everyone says it's the best option for heavy wetters. I want to love it, help me love it! TIA

Advertisement

amboo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help Me! I want to love wool, but need help!

I would lanolize more. I felt like at 3 the covers started to feel more lanolized... but I haven't tried night yet. my covers is drying from it's second lanolin treatment right now.

I've heard wool wraps can take a few extra treatments to get really good...
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
amboo8
Registered Users
seller

What's a wool wrap?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amboo8 View Post
What's a wool wrap?
It's another name for covers
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
amboo8
Registered Users
seller

Okay, I'll try more lanolin. Are the hybrid fitted breathable? I thought they had PUL to make them waterproof?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are the diapers saturated, or is it just kinda wet & passing through the cover? That should tell you whether it's a diaper absorbency problem or a cover problem. Also, if you're always using the same cover at night & it's getting really wet, it may not be completely dry before you use it again, setting you up for failure on the subsequent nights.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Hybrid fitteds have a layer of fleece to help them be waterproof but not really 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I mean a wool cover that attached vrs one that pulls on. I also agree what the other person said. If the fitted is fully saturated then a wool cover might not be enough to handle it. Wool is suppose to help absorb some, but they can't be expected to absorb a ton.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #9
chamise
Registered Users
seller

Make sure your LO doesn't have water past 1 hour before bed and change LO right before bed.
chamise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #10
nellycakes80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamise View Post
Make sure your LO doesn't have water past 1 hour before bed and change LO right before bed.
I think her lo is only 10 weeks so that's probably multiple feedings at night...

I agree with other posters, make sure u have enough absorbency.. Did you say you put clothes over the wool? If there is no air circulation any dampness doesn't have a chance to evaporate.. I just have my lo where her soaker and a shirt, if it's cold longies.. I've never used the cherry interlock but I would agree it might not be drying all the way by the next night..

Also, at 10 weeks I was still changing at least once in the middle of the night.. at 7 mths I do a midnight change (before I go to bed), them she sleeps till 7:30 ish..

Good luck!!