Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Plover T. Larone
Registered Users

Newborn night diapering/ecing set up?

I'm expecting #2 in September and I want to plan ahead more for night changes/ec this time around than I did the first time. With dd1 I remember having a hard time figuring out my system in the 1st month or so. We co-sleep, this time just on a mattress on the floor and I like to have everything I'll need right next to the bed so I don't have to get up. So I'll need several changes of night diapers, wipes warmer with cloth wipes, changing pad to keep the bed dry, burp cloth, potty bowl, wetbag or bucket for wet diapers, and a bucket to pour potty bowl into so it doesn't get spilled in the night if it's getting full. I figured most of that stuff should go in some kind of basket next to the bed so it stays organized. I think it will be annoying to gather stuff every night but some stuff needs to be elsewhere during the day (like the wipes warmer on the changing table for example).
I also haven't figured out whether we will need some kind of bumper on the edge of the bed to prevent roll offs now that our mattress isn't elevated.
What I'm hoping for is for lots of you to describe in detail what your organizational system for night diaper changes or ec during the newborn phase is like, to help me brainstorm. TIA!!

Advertisement

Plover T. Larone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Plover T. Larone
Registered Users

Re: Newborn night diapering/ecing set up?

Also, I'll be using wool covers, so I'll need to consider airing damp covers/having extras on hand... it just seems like so much stuff!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Schneckj34
Registered Users
seller

I have a 8 week old and feel your pain. Dont remember it being as hard with my first anyways .. I felt like every night there was a lot to move from downstairs set up to upstairs. I don't EC but with my cloth I like small hanging wet bags.... I didn't use warm wipes but before bed wet a few and put in old sposie wipes container at bedside. I shove a Prefold for spit ups/leaking next to my pillow so I can reach.. My bag of breast pads and lanolin is kept at reach too, on other side of siderail between bedside table.. Definately get Shelf or something.. I wish I had had like a handled cloth bin to carry around with all the crap for me and him.. (Will be my next shower gift to someone)

A pool noodle could prevent roll offs for little while ( under sheet) then when they are bigger no big deal to roll on floor .. If you are literally just mattress On floor.... If not you can secure bed rail between box spring and mattress my new 25$ Kmart one has ties to do so (straps run under matress to secure bar on other side of bed or hook into another bed rail if that makes sense..

Also we have a great cheap nightlight .. Doesn't keep me up but I can see the room and him well.. It's actually LED and no big bulb.. With my first I dumbly turned the light on each time and sat up... So much more rest co sleeping and nursing laying down !!
Schneckj34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Plover T. Larone
Registered Users

Thank you! That's really helpful. The pool noodle idea is great. Won't take up much real estate in the bed(my 3yo tends to sprawl out). And thanks for the reminder to get a night light.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
Cayenneroots
Registered Users
seller

My little guy just turned 2 months as well ECing is a hit and miss right now at night but I do offer the potty when he wakes and when I am changing him. But he mainly just wants to eat and go back to sleep. Anyhow I got a washpod infant tub at my shower and it has worked amazingly well as a night potty due to its small foot print and high sides so I can hold him in my lap and aim the pee to the washpod without anyone getting out of bed. I have one of those beautiful African woven baskets that holds all of the cloth diapers. I like the basket b/c if I leave it out in the open it doesn't look to cluttered and is easy to transport around the house. I also have a small caddy with wipe case and breast pads burp clothes etc that just goes on floor next to bed. Let us know what you come up with
Cayenneroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
Plover T. Larone
Registered Users

What's a washpod? Is it like a tummy tub? If so, I have one of those! That sounds good.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
Cayenneroots
Registered Users
seller

Yep samething. And it works so well
Cayenneroots is offline   Reply With Quote