Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Share your birth plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofchaos
Well, my birth plan is not nearly as involved as anyone else's.....

1) At the first tiny signs of labor, get in the van and DRIVE FAST!!!!
2) Reach the hospital BEFORE transition labor begins.
3) Have a baby rapidly with no time for fussing around or discussion.

I guess we just hope to actually make it to the hospital on time........in some ways that makes it easier!!

Sounds like a plan to me! Mine would stay at home until right before transition and then once I hit L&D deliver before they can start poking me with needles..

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #12
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2bemommy

Sounds like a plan to me! Mine would stay at home until right before transition and then once I hit L&D deliver before they can start poking me with needles..
I was thinking the same thing...if you head for the hospital at the first signs of labor, they have plenty of time to "mess" with you! I'm hoping to stay home as long as possible and get to the hospital just in time (can't talk dh into a homebirth this time )
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #13
momof4
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000
I was thinking the same thing...if you head for the hospital at the first signs of labor, they have plenty of time to "mess" with you! I'm hoping to stay home as long as possible and get to the hospital just in time (can't talk dh into a homebirth this time )
I only WISH I were able to have it all happen that quickly. Lucky, lucky mamas who can!! Oh well, the important thing is the baby at the end of the process anyways.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
aliyahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Well...I'm pregnant with my second baby and I have no idea what to expect. My first baby quit moving very much at 32 weeks and at 36 weeks and I was hooked up to monitors again for the second time since 32 weeks and rushed to surgery just in time to save her life! She had a one in a million umbilical cord- the arteries and veins that were suppose to be on the inside of her cord were on the outside of her cord. My minor braxton Hicks contractions ruptured one of them and she started to bleed out! It could not be detected by ULTRASOUND! I must of had 20 ultrasounds during my prgnancy and it could not be seen! I had a really good doctor who just kept taking my word for it and kept checking me until he saw reason enough to deliver her. I always wanted a natural home birth! I always wanted what most of you are mentioning about the NO intervention NO monitoring ect. But if I had tried that my precious baby girl would not be alive today. Doctors were shocked that she lived and they said they was NO possible way I could have delivered her vaginally and her survive through it even if she hadn't begun bleeding yet she would have during birth. I hope I'm not scarring anyone I just want all of you to pay close attention to your body and your baby during labor and don't be affraid of changing your plans and allowing an intervention! I am the worlds BIGGEST planner and NOTHING went according to plan for the birth of our baby girl. I didn't even get to see her face for nearly 30 hours! I wanted to hold her and nurse her immediately after birth, but she was hanging on for her life and I'm just thankful that GOD was watching over her for me! I do plan to make special plans for the delivery of this new baby girl coming in Septmember; I want to do things as naturally as possible, no drugs, VBAC if possible. BUT no plans matter more than the SAFE delivery of my baby girl! I have a one in a thousand chance of another baby having this problem and it's hard for me to get arround that statistic. A one in a hundred chance of a uterine rupture by trying a VBAC. I plan to BE prepared this time to surrender all my plans if necessary- which is a HARD thing for a PLANNER like me to do!
aliyahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #15
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Here is mine, the nurses at my hospital all read it and followed it so i'm glad i made one .

Birth Plan for Raquelita, EDD 04/03/2006
Hospital Name: Insert Caregiver Name(s) Here

I realize that a birth plan is a list of preferences and that things don't always go as planned. My primary request is to be fully informed and part of the decision-making process. Should I become incapacitated or unable to fully participate in the decision-making process, please consult my husband and my doula regarding any matters related to this birth plan, labor and delivery. In general, we prefer minimal medical interference with the birth process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First Stage Labor
* A heparin lock without the IV attached unless I become dehydrated
* Intermittent fetal monitoring and to stay out of bed during monitoring
* No continuous or internal fetal monitoring unless medically necessary
* Fluids and soft foods by mouth throughout the first stage of labor
* Dimmed lights and voices respectfully lowered
* Internal vaginal exams kept to a minimum
* Freely walk around, use the shower, birthing ball from home (will sign waiver) and change position at will
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Labor Augmentation
* As long as the baby and I are fine, I would like to be free of time limits and labor augmentation
* Prefer to allow the amniotic membrane to rupture naturally
* Changing position, walking or nipple stimulation before the amniotic membrane is ruptured or pitocin is given
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anesthesia/Pain Medication
* We are striving for a drug free childbirth, please do not offer pain medication. I'll ask for it if I need it and will
make such a decision together with my husband, doula and midwife
Cesarean
* If a Cesarean is necessary, to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process
* My husband present at all times if my baby requires a Cesarean delivery
* Leave my arms untied so that I can touch the baby when it is born
* Double-layer suturing of the uterus (not single layer suturing)
* Blue sheet lowered during delivery so that I can see the birth
* If not in distress, my baby should be given to husband and myself immediately after birth
* Breastfeed as soon as possible after a cesarean delivery
Second Stage Labor & Delivery
* I would like to choose my birthing position, including squatting with a bar or on hands and knees
* If I am unmedicated, to wait to push until I feel the urge, even if there is a delay after full dilation
* Baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery
* Hold my baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made
* Deliver the placenta naturally without a pitocin injection or cord traction
Episiotomy
* In the absence of fetal distress, I prefer to tear rather than have an episiotomy
* Change pushing positions and see if that helps before having a episiotomy
* Prefer a longer pushing stage over an episiotomy
* Guidance and perineal massage when pushing so the perineum can stretch naturally
Postpartum
* Delay antibiotic eye drops and Vitamin K shot for 1 hour after birth so that bonding time is not interrupted
* We decline the Hepatitis B vaccine for our newborn
* Leave our baby intact and NOT circumcize if it is a boy
* Full-time rooming in with baby and no separation unless medically required
* Husband to accompany our baby at all times if it must be taken to receive medical treatment
* If bili lights for jaundice are required, please bring them to my recovery room instead of baby going to the nursery
Breastfeeding
* I will be breastfeeding exclusively and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth
* Do not give my baby anything by mouth (pacifier, glucose water, formula) without my expressed verbal consent

Last edited by Raquelita; 06-30-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Raquelita is offline   Reply With Quote