Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
christiansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Foster mom new to CD'ing w/questions

Hi all:

I am a foster mom just venturing into the world of cloth diapering. I have spent the last 4 days GLUED to my computer.

It has been suggested to me to start with prefolds and covers. I am taking 0-6 months placements (I used to only take older kiddos - no diapers!) but there is a real demand to foster babies in my area.

I should be receiving my first placement in 3 weeks and I am thinking about getting 1 dz preemie and 2 doz infant CPF and 6 NB prorap/BWSS covers. How does this sound? What about for nightime? Do I need liners? Anybody have opinions?

Please help! I don't want to make mistakes. My funds are limited. I need economical but efficient. Any budget/money saving tips are well appreciated.

Blessings,

Lisa

Advertisement

christiansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Foster mom new to CD'ing w/questions

I love it that you're taking in little babies!
The only thing you really need is prefolds and covers. Get some diapers pins and/or a few snappi fasteners. Get a few small dappi covers, not just newborn, and a couple mediums. For nighttime, if you just use two prefolds instead of one, it should be enough to get through a few hours.

I highly encourage you to check out the FSOT section on this site, along with the FFS (free for shipping) threads. Ebay also has great deals on off brand dipes. granitesmith diapers on ebay has AWESOME customer service and very reasonable prices on prefolds!
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I like granitsmith diapers on ebay too. http://stores.ebay.com/Granitesmiths-Diaper-Store

I agree, you will probably need some small covers more than NB size. The NB usually only fit up to about 10-12 lbs, but the small usually start fitting between 8-10 and will fit to say 15 lbs. I personally prefer the BSWW and Proraps classics over the Dappi tho. Granitesmith's sells the Proraps AND the prefolds at very competetive prices and you can save on shipping if you buy them there together.

The number and sizes of prefolds sound good to me. You will probably find you are using the preemies as doublers with the infants. The preemies only hold about 4 oz on their own while the infants will hold more like 12 oz of liquid. If you want to add a super-cheap stay-dry liner, buy a yard of fleece at walmart and cut it into rectangles to lay over the prefolds so they don't touch baby. No sewing neccessary. And it may help prevent diaper rash for babies extra sensitive to being wet.

You may want at least 1 medium cover. You may need it for nighttime, depending on the baby. But You can stuff a couple of prefolds into it to hold you through the night easier. Or if you don't mind splurging a little for a nighttime system, you could get some Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers in size Small and stuff the prefolds into those for night. They are selling second quality fuzzi bunz at http://fuzzibunzseconds.net/store/Ws...t=Small7-16lbs for only $10 each right now. You'd probably only need 2 or 3, depending on how often you plan to wash the dipes. I love pocket dipes for nighttime.

Good luck! And enjoy those babies!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
Okiemunchkinsmom
Banned

I'm also a cd'ing foster momma I keep prefolds and pull up Dappi covers in a couple of sizes on hand, at least. Then I usually order a few Bummis Super Wisper Wraps too, if the babe will be staying awhile. I also like to have about a dozen one-size dipes on hand. My favs are Puddlecatchers, because they are very trim on newborns, and then I just put an insert in for the older ones.

I don't know how your state works, but here if I get a newborn it's because they tested + for drugs. They always, without fail, get nasty, bloody rashes when their bodies start dumping the "waste". So it may be a good idea to have some cd friendly diaper rash cream on hand, and use it from day one. Even with older babies they always come to me with a rash, but those don't tend to be so bad. I have really had better luck with the cloth diapers than with disposables in clearing up the rashes. It just seems like all of my foster kids have had really sensitive skin, and sposies irritate them.

Oh btw, I always order my basic diaper supplies from http://www.integritydiapercompany.com/catalog/index.php She gets them to me fast. There is also one website that gives a discount to foster parents (and missionaries), but I can't remember what it is........I'll think about it and let you know if I can remember.

Good luck!
Okiemunchkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
5tinytreasures
Registered Users
seller

I'm also a cding foster mom
I would get at least 2-3 doz preemie prefolds I used them as both diapers and burp rags. Drug babies are smaller and skinnier then normal babies. So I have 4 preemie prowraps (I think) 2 newborn bummis and a bunch of wool.
I use prefolds during the day and dream-ezeat night. I slowly bought fitted, pockets and wool from Fsot and as I had extra money.
I agree with having great diaper rash cream they will bleed alot. I love Kindhearted women claymazing powder. That stuff amazing.

email if you need so tips ( drug babies need some extra special care)

good luck with our new one

OPC3
5tinytreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #6
mom2hancj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love learning from you mamas that are fostering We are starting the process to become foster parents. So glad that there are ppl here to get support from.

I pmed you.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
christiansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you all so much for your replies. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to foster. My DH and I got licensed with fostering only in mind but are also open to adoption so we will see what happens. I am so excited at the prospect of CD'ing.

I will check out all the info that was presented to me. I would love the link to the website that offers discounts to foster parents. That would be great.

I also would love tips on dealing w/drug affected babies. I volunteer at the intake shelter in my county. Three new babies came in last week...all cocaine babies. I was just dying to take one home but I am about three weeks from license transfer. One baby was so shaky! So sad. Foster mamas, please feel free to e-mail me.

Well, thanks all again for the kind words and warm welcome. I will be back with more questions I am sure.

In His grace,

Lisa
christiansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.little-lions.com has good prefold/cover deals going for June, maybe longer. Feel free to email Gina for info.

I agree cheap fleece liners work well. They keep baby feeling dry and make clean up easier. Pull on covers are cheap, but you need to Snappi or pin the prefold. If you just want to fold and lay the pf in the cover then Proraps or BSWW are the way to go.

I'd get:
2-3 dozen preemie
2 dozen infant
4-6 newborn covers
4 small covers
1 medium, if babies will be over 12-15 lbs
2 Snappies
2 sets of Dritz pins
medium flip top trash can
2 wet bags to line can with (under $4 each at Walmart in the camping section)
1 wet bag for the diaper bag (assuming you'll be leaving the house)
1 yard cheap light colored fleece to cut in rectangles (as long as you're using fleece liners any diaper cream can be used)
Mini-Shower, now or in the future, to spray off poopy diapers

http://www.diaperpages.com has good info for using prefolds. Practice as much as possible before a real baby needs them. I used a doll, a stuffed animal works too.

Bless you and every foster parent out there!!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
Formerly: mommalilac
seller

My Mood:

I think the best step was joining here
do you sew? there are lots of frugal diapering sites that have patterns and way to turn old clothing into diapers. I have even recycled eslastic for dipes from fitted bed sheets.

I think the best cover for us was Litewraps I had 6 of them there realtivly inexpiensive under 7$ each new if I recall I want to say I got them at green mountian diapers. I dont think these covers get rnough credit size small is 10-15 lbs but they did fit dd at 8 lbs and still fit well over 15lbs they have snaps at the legs which I like and it has that slinet like velcroat the weist so its nice to change when there sleeping. they have a like gusset on the inner legs which is great for nb poos.

perfolds depending on how often you change dipes and how often you want to do lanudry. I had 1dz premiee and 2dz infants but she was a avid nurser and a pee monster so I still had to wash nearly everyday.

goodluck & welcome to DS
Five Green Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #10
Okiemunchkinsmom
Banned

I had help finding it, but this is the site I was thinking of: http://www.snap-ez.com/specials.html It's a 5% discount on orders over $50. It also applies to military families, and pastors.
Okiemunchkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote