Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #11
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can a Hospital force you to give a bottle?

You know, if a baby died like that, you would have thought the hospital would have caught that in time...they are suppose to weigh the baby and can't they look for signs of dehydration-or am I wrong. The whole thing sounds ridiculous...if the hospital is that concerned, why don't they watch you BF? (not that it's a good solution but come on!) Crazy!

Advertisement

love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
Formerly: mommalilac
seller

My Mood:

that is just plain CRAZY! and im tempted to call Bull$h*t! the the LLL would shut them down, or something , No way can they FORCE you to do anything. I dare a hospital to try that on me.
Five Green Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #13
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Uh, yeah that is just plain crazy - and I have never in life heard of such a thing either!
I delivered at a fantastic hospital that was very pro-BFing. Although I didnt receive any "help" when I had problems they didnt force a bottle or forumla on me. My day nurse even got me a pump so my milk would come in faster.
I did supplement with formula on my own because we had a lot of latching on problems. BUT, if anyone told me what to do with my body and/or my child the first time I would checked myself out of there and never ever returned. And, I'd have LLL on their butts so fast they wouldnt know what hit them!
I feel awful for your friend that she felt that way. No one should feel forced out of doing what is best for baby!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:37 PM   #14
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

the only reason i could see in forcing bottle feeding is if the baby was in the NICU and you needed to pump for feedings between visits other then that i would have gone crazy and i did when my ds was born because at 1st they wanted me to pump and then bottle feed until my milk came in but i throw a fit and made them let me BF or i would have transfered us to the nearest hospital that would support BFing.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:47 PM   #15
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

i know that here where i live if a baby is in the NICU a parents rights are practically stripped. you have no say at all with what is done/given/not given to your baby when they are in there. so yes, if your baby is in the NOCU and they think he/she needs formula they will give it. sucks ***
Old 06-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #16
dixiebabies
Banned

NO NO NO!!! I would NEVER give birth at that hospital again.

Here right after birth the dr puts that baby right on your breast (most drs) so you can nurse asap and most of the time the cord is still uncut.

And I agree with Cottonmama. I wish it was me because they would of been soooo sorry.

Some ppl
dixiebabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:55 PM   #17
dixiebabies
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypooh
The hospital said they made that rule because one mom was claiming to be nursing and never fed her baby and the baby died.
If this is true, that hospital would of been in big trouble for NOT doing they're job such as weighing baby, checking mom and baby often, ect...
dixiebabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #18
mommypooh
Registered Users

well baby was not in NICU at all. He was a big and healthy boy. I don't know how valid the story was but I would think that if it was true that would be why they are such PITA about a bottle. I just get so angry because she has now turned to the other side and is thinking BF is gross. I almost don't want to be around her due to her strong change in thought because I still nurse both my kids and I am not afraid to speak about it or do it in front of anyone, but my mother.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:21 AM   #19
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma
OH MY! That's just BS!!!
I agree. Man, why don't they strap us down, shave us completely, cut us from a$$ to elbow, drug us up so we don't know our own names....... wait, they probably do all that as well.

Grrrrrrr. Your poor friend.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #20
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

My LC told me it is ILLEAGAL for someone to give your baby a bottle if you don't want them to do so and it is not medically necessary. So, I think that they have no right to tell her that she must bottle feed. With that said, when I had my dd almost a year ago my hospital told me four times before my dd latched on proprerly that I would need to bottle feed. They even brought in the SNS for me. This is my second baby to nurse and I nursed my son for 18 months until he self weaned. I didn't accept for a second that I needed to bottle feed; but can you imagine if I were a first time mom and I had medical professionals telling me over and over that I should bottle feed or my dd might not get the nutrition she needed? It is very hard these days to find nurses that are educated on breastfeeding (I'm not sure why that is?).
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote