Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:23 AM   #21
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Carseat covers, strap pads, and piddle pads - PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT

Quote:
The general concensus among techs is that piddle pads are safe to use. At least that's the concensus among the techs on car-seat.org. I can also say I have never seen another after market product that any tech has agreed is unlikely to pose a safety risk. This is because it's so thin and doesn't interfere with harness adjustment at all.
I'm glad to be corrected if that's what the consensus is now, but I thought they were a no for the same reason as the buntings with the hole are a no, as both completely wrap around the harness buckle (I'm not sure if I'm using the right term there, please correct at will!). Those are the only kind I've seen.

Cool though - any other updates I should make? I need to add links to SafeKids etc. Will work on major update tomorrow

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #22
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
I'm glad to be corrected if that's what the consensus is now, but I thought they were a no for the same reason as the buntings with the hole are a no, as both completely wrap around the harness buckle (I'm not sure if I'm using the right term there, please correct at will!). Those are the only kind I've seen.

Cool though - any other updates I should make? I need to add links to SafeKids etc. Will work on major update tomorrow
The piddle pads - the brand name ones anyways, go behind the crotch buckle, so they don't interfere with it. I personally haven't seen one, but I know there's been discussion about this before on the board I mentioned and the concensus is that a piddle pad is ok and not really adding anymore compression than a cloth diaper for instance. (Which BTW - cloth diapers are A-OK and not a concern.)

One of the biggest problem with aftermarket accessories is how they interfere with the harness adjustment or adding fluffy layers that can compress. A general rule - and this would be something to put in the sticky maybe, is that if you have your child in a winter jacket or whatever, tighten up the straps like normal, take your kiddo out without loosening the straps, remove the jacket and then put them back in like normal, if the harness is not still snug around them, then the coat is too bulky.

Safekids is definitely a good link to put in there - especially if you could link directly to the find a tech page. Also www.car-seat.org is the best resource online in terms of getting help and up to date CORRECT info. (Lots of people in other places have info, it's just not always up to date and/or correct. )

Trudy ~ Certified Child Restraint Systems Technician
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what seat came with a piddle pad? That would be cool..
I think its an Evenflo..? Its actually a rear & forward facing seat, but we bought it as a forward facing seat...
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #24
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I dont think I have ever seen a piddle pad that has a hole for the strap/s..... ours I has a "U" shape I think....

& the buntings/coats/blankets/gowns w/ the hole for the car seat.... have these been recalled due to this or anything? I would think if this was true, they'd be recalled..... I REALLY need to know, & have a link to the recall info b/c I run a clothing ministry.... for instance, jackets etc w/ drwastrings were recalled b/c of choking hazard.... so, if the care seat thing is true, they'd recall/stop making them too....

i dont waNT TO give out anything I shouldnt//

(sorry NAK-kicking baby-thinks fun to kick my arm)
Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #25
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1 more 2cnts...

car seat strap covers, piddle pads, .... we use both of these w/ our kids and I am going to make some too... I always put them in their seat WITHOUT the items, adjust the staps to fit properly, and THEN add the items...this compresses them "fully" when the kid is then place in the seat, and not during a crash...the car seat straps hit my kids in the neck and leave bloody cuts, I would never go w/o them.... but like I said, adjust carseat *1st* and then add the other stuff...

I am also going to work on/make piddle pads for their carseats, but they will be thinner than the one that even came with our one DS's carseat...I dont think EX: 1layer pul, 2 layer flannel, will cause that much "compression"

and again, adjust seat FIRST then add the stuff....
Old 07-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #26
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Working on updating first post.

AFAIK (and would love snowbird to weigh in) harness covers are STILL a no no since they cover the harness.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #27
-ashley-
Banned

My Mood:

WOW! I had no idea! I feel like such a bad mommy...I'm going to take Braelynn's strap pads off right now!
-ashley- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #28
Beatle412
Registered Users

My Mood:

Last time I checked the ONLY somewhat approved thing around the harness straps was a baby sock w/ the toe cut out, and only then if the straps are digging into the neck or something. I've seen some people reccomend wash rags.

I personally don't bother with any of it. Irregardless, my child is not a crash test dummy.

Steph
Old 07-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #29
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry, just checking back into this thread now.. I"m not around DS as often lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinewith4 View Post
I think its an Evenflo..? Its actually a rear & forward facing seat, but we bought it as a forward facing seat...
This would be the Evenflo Titan that you're referring to, and it's not actually a "piddle pad" per se, this is actually a part of the seat that is akin to a toddler cushion. It comes with the seat from the manufacturer, and is therefore not considered an aftermarket product. Although it works the same as a piddle pad in that you can remove it and wash it without having to take the whole car seat cover off...lol.

Quote:
I dont think I have ever seen a piddle pad that has a hole for the strap/s..... ours I has a "U" shape I think....

& the buntings/coats/blankets/gowns w/ the hole for the car seat.... have these been recalled due to this or anything? I would think if this was true, they'd be recalled..... I REALLY need to know, & have a link to the recall info b/c I run a clothing ministry.... for instance, jackets etc w/ drwastrings were recalled b/c of choking hazard.... so, if the care seat thing is true, they'd recall/stop making them too....
These have not been recalled - and they could not be recalled because they're not crash tested with individual seats and therefore are not required to meet any type of standards testing. One could be recalled because of a button posing a choking hazard or fabric flammability or something, but in regards to car seat safety, these would never be recalled. Ultimately though, car seat usage is just an option of many that these bunting manufacturers give - they also say use in stroller etc... There is really no regulation of after market products - but car seat manufacturers strictly say no use of after market products, and you must always follow the manufacturers guidelines.

The issue is this - anything that goes underneath a child, is creating an additional layer that would compress in the event of a collision. Additionally, many of these bunting type things such as cuddle bags, affect how the harness straps route and how they adjust. Sometimes they make them seem higher or lower in relation to the child's shoulders than what they actually are. Often the slots in the fabric don't match those in the car-seat and this can also interfere with adjusting the harness.

These types of products in and of themselves aren't bad - it's when people decide to use them in car seats that they're bad. There are other options that are just as effective and don't pose any safety risk.i

Quote:
1 more 2cnts...

car seat strap covers, piddle pads, .... we use both of these w/ our kids and I am going to make some too... I always put them in their seat WITHOUT the items, adjust the staps to fit properly, and THEN add the items...this compresses them "fully" when the kid is then place in the seat, and not during a crash...the car seat straps hit my kids in the neck and leave bloody cuts, I would never go w/o them.... but like I said, adjust carseat *1st* and then add the other stuff...

I am also going to work on/make piddle pads for their carseats, but they will be thinner than the one that even came with our one DS's carseat...I dont think EX: 1layer pul, 2 layer flannel, will cause that much "compression"

and again, adjust seat FIRST then add the stuff....
Sometimes people make a parental decision to use after market products knowing the risks. If someone is going to make that decision, than what you're doing is exactly right. You know that the straps are appropriately tight before adding the product.

In relation to piddle pads, like I said, I don't have issue with those because they don't interfere with the harness, and are much thinner than a diaper. Usually piddle pads are going to be used by kids who are potty learning, so the diaper bulk is gone. (Piddle Pad is the actual brand name BTW.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle412 View Post
Last time I checked the ONLY somewhat approved thing around the harness straps was a baby sock w/ the toe cut out, and only then if the straps are digging into the neck or something. I've seen some people reccomend wash rags.

I personally don't bother with any of it. Irregardless, my child is not a crash test dummy.
The cut off sock idea is one that is considered acceptable in the event that you need something. They're thing and not unlike when you simply pull the t-shirt up around baby's neck to prevent the straps from digging in. We just pull ds's shirt up by his neck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a nutshell, this is the issue with after market products.

- There are no federal standards applied to after market products in relation to car seat safety. Also there is nothing preventing a company from doing independent testing with a single car seat and then calling it crash-tested.
- If a car seat comes with a head support or harness strap covers, those are 100% ok because they're coming from the manufacturer, with the car seat and the car seat has passed crash standards with those products in use. Any product that comes with a car seat does meet FMVSS standards when used with that car seat.
- Some companies do sell after market products that are approved for use with their car seats. An example of this is that graco sells harness shoulder pads. These are approved for use with their snug ride infant carriers, but not the safeseat 1. This is something that a parent using a snug ride could buy and safely use with their carrier if their particular model didn't come with them. However - a parent who purchased a safeseat step 1, should not be using them.

There are some after market products - such as the Mighty Tite, that are bad no matter what way you look at it. The mighty tite gives parents a false sense of security and can make a poor installation seem great. It's also been known to literally wreck seat belts and it poses the risk of causing seat belt failure in a crash if it has been over-tightened.

When it comes to car seat safety, there are some things that are black and white, and some things that are best practice. We can always educate parents on the best practice and safest options for their child, but ultimately parents make the final decision knowing the risks. It's not illegal to use a cuddle bag in a car seat, however, it is NOT safe. Some parents will make the decision to continue to use one even knowing the safety risk though - all we can do is educate on best practice, and let them decide.

Ravenonyx - do you want to PM me with specific questions as the need arises? I don't check the forums all that often lately, but I do get notified of PM's and respond to those fairly quickly.

Trudy ~ Child Restraint Systems Technician

Last edited by snowbird25ca; 07-22-2007 at 01:08 AM.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #30
Green~Mammy
Banned

Thank You Raven I took this info and posted it at another site because I noticed someone showing off their new car seat cover. I told her it looked very nice but went onto explain that she may not want to use it on her seat. She responded by thanking me and telling me that she paid good money for it & that she would be placing it OVER the original cover. To me that sounds even MORE dangerous. So rather then antagonizing her I just took this info and opened up a new thread. I hope that is ok.
Green~Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote