Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Night Weaning - HELP!

Riley is 13 months and pretty much totally weaned during the day we do not nurse unless something totally traumatic has happened, or she isnt feeling good. We nurse before bed, and in the middle of the night. Both of which are totally just for comfort because they only last about 10-15 seconds sometimes less then that.
She is still waking up most nights to comfort nurse. I dont really have a problem with it, HOWEVER - I dont really want to nurse past 14-15 months.
Any suggestions to get her to stop? I thought about keeping like a bottle or sippy of water by the bed so she can just have that - but then I dont want to get into THAT habit of her still waking up. I want her to sleep all night.
TIA

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
starwithnolight
Registered Users
seller

Re: Night Weaning - HELP!

I can't offer any advice. But I'm watching this thread hoping it'll be helpful!

I have a two year old who still nurses through out the night
Old 07-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
augustgirl69
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Same issue here only ds has upped his night time nursings to 3-4X a night at 14 months!!!!!!! I am NO good at night so I just let him nurse but I wish I had ideas to help him stop sans CIO which I will not do.....
Old 07-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

Some babies just fuss for a few seconds a few times a night. Harper does it.

ETA: I am sorry I got distracted LOL....What I did was I would just cuddle her a bit and tell her its ok, and wait for her to calm herself down (typically 10 seconds) and then go back to sleep.

If she is one of those babies that just wakes up a few times a night, I think the only thing you can do is move her to her own room. Like Harper, wakes up and fusses for 5 seconds everytime she turns over. Just the way she is....DS was like that too.

Last edited by Samantha; 07-03-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha
Some babies just fuss for a few seconds a few times a night. Harper does it.

ETA: I am sorry I got distracted LOL....What I did was I would just cuddle her a bit and tell her its ok, and wait for her to calm herself down (typically 10 seconds) and then go back to sleep.

If she is one of those babies that just wakes up a few times a night, I think the only thing you can do is move her to her own room. Like Harper, wakes up and fusses for 5 seconds everytime she turns over. Just the way she is....DS was like that too.

Sometimes, she will fuss and then go back to sleep but sometimes she will keep at it until I get her.

I would move her to her own room but we only have 1 bedroom LOL. We're in a rink a dink apartment so this is our only option as of yet. It is getting better. She only typically gets up once a night - and last night she didnt even nurst she wanted in bed with me/us - sometimes she can be a really snuggly sleeper (but mostly she is a wild sleeper).
Old 07-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
Kellyd
Registered Users

To night wean my baby I sent my dh in to tend to her. It seemed to break the habit of her expecting to nurse when someone came to comfort her. Of course- the hardest part was getting in through my dh's head that he WAS NOT to bring her to me, no matter how hard she fussed. It took about a week, but she finally figured out that she wasn't going to get to nurse during the night.
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We stopped night nursing similarly for a couple of reasons
one if was just that sort of less than 5 minutes worth of "put me back to sleep" nursing and it went from once in the super early morning to a couple or three times for about a week and we were feeling really sleep deprived, as well as noticing that my husband was getting up for the baby (we share a room too) before I had even heard him, as well as the ped telling us that he could make it through the night without needing to eat.
Sooooo
we first stopped getting him unless we both heard him and he cried more than 10mins. It is hard and it sounds long but really sleeping all night is important for a baby too because sleep in necessary for healthy development. We didn't go to him because with our son it makes him mad that you didn't do what he wanted once he realized you were right there.
That really helped a lot, and really only took a couple of days, maybe a couple of times at night. Its been working now for a couple months and usually if he wakes (which is rare) its just for a squeek, and if not and it sounds like its not going to end (once in awhile happens when he hasn't nursed well the night before bed) we get him and bring him to bed to eat/sleep. He's a shover so it doesn't work well but it also doesn't happen more than once a week tops that he wakes up before 6.

good luck

i know its hard but it really is good for the babies in the long run too