Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Babywearers

Do you find that your child is developmentaly delayed because you wear your child so much? I wear/hold my DD anywnere between 50 - 75% of the day because its the only way she will sleep. Well shes 3.5 months old and hasnt rolled over is this normal or do I wear her too much

Advertisement

MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: Babywearers

i wore/carried/held molly a fair amoutn when she was little but i'm sure it was as much as even 50% of the time, and she didn't really start rolling over a lot until almost 5 months (there'd been a roll here and there, but not consistently). anyway, she crawled at 7.5-8 months and walked at 11 months and doesn't seem to be developmentally delayed.

i don't know that you can really carry them too much - esp. if you carry them upright enough so that they can develop some neck control. and you can also do little exercises with them/playing on the floor/tummy time/etc. to make sure you're giving her chances to buid her muscles.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We also have a 3.5 month old(born 3-15)and she hasn't rolled over yet either. I was starting to worry and then I read that most babies don't start rolling until they are 4 months.
In some cultures babies aren't put down at all for their first 6 months and develop normally

HTH
Sarah
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

My baby doesn't roll over... maybe once or twice, but I think it was a bit hilly :/ She's just over 5 months....She was early 4 weeks, but I think the rest of her dvmt is fine. She stands w/ our balance and is smiley and interactive... But she isn't on the floor a lot....
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

I did'nt wear my DS till he was older then 6 months but he did not roll over till almost 6 months. don't worry lots of other babies have been worn and are doing just fine!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:57 PM   #6
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think children develope at their own pace regardless.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:13 AM   #7
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

You and baby are fine. Keep wearing your kiddo. DS just really started rolling over on a regular basis starting yesterday and he just turned 5 months old. He started rolling over at 3 months, but only did it twice and refused to do it anymore until yesterday and now he love to do it all day long. BTW, I wear DS all the time. In fact, I just walked him to sleep in the sling tonight.

Like the PP said, babies develop at different rates.

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:59 AM   #8
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Babies do things when they're ready I used to be the joke around here that when I had a baby no on got to see it until it walked, because I ALWAYS carry my babies. I think Jude I literally took out of the sling one day and he started walking lol...he was not even 10 months old, so I don't think the sling had any delay on his development. All my kids have developed on a perfectly normal course for them, and they all got EXTREMELY limited time on the gorund. There are several cultures that tie the baby to the mother when it is born, and then mothers don't untie them for at least six monhts, and there is one culture (forget, ! Kung maybe) that is a full year). You're doing a great job, mama!
Old 06-30-2006, 06:18 AM   #9
gymrat
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel
Do you find that your child is developmentaly delayed because you wear your child so much? I wear/hold my DD anywnere between 50 - 75% of the day because its the only way she will sleep. Well shes 3.5 months old and hasnt rolled over is this normal or do I wear her too much
DS did not roll over till almost 6.5 months but once he did he quickly figured out he could sit up (hated being on his stomach - first roll was back to tummy) then shortly after that tohis knees to move backwards before getting going crawling forward which led QUICKLY into pulling himself up. By 9.5 months he took his first steps not holding furniture!!
Old 06-30-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie
I did'nt wear my DS till he was older then 6 months but he did not roll over till almost 6 months. don't worry lots of other babies have been worn and are doing just fine!
Both of my kids didn't roll over til 6 mo. and I didn't wear DD but did/do DS. It's just their pace of development IMO.