Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
squirtymomma
Registered Users
seller

for those eb******...

Does your dc (past 1 year) just get breastmilk, or do you give him/her some other kind of milk as well? Like, if you only nurse a couple of times a day, do they get formula/cow's/goat's/soy, or whatever too? I'm thinking about what I want to do once dd turns 1 year. I don't want to wean completely, but I may be ready to cut back a bit. TIA.

Advertisement

squirtymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Re: for those eb******...

my baby will be year in a few weeks and I've given her a small sippy with organic cow's milk. Seeing how a half gallon costs more than a gallon of gas, I have to figure something else out. I don't want to put her on cow's milk without the BFing as my oldset had lactose intolerance for a long time after switching her to cow's milk from formula.

I think in small doses, baby will be fine. I'm trying to follow my baby's lead with her weaning (not me forcing it on her like I did with DD2 ) but still want her to get calcium and all that.
good luck!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
momeeboys
Registered Users

Because of some allergy issues I had with DS1, our allergist recommended waiting until 15 months before we started cow's milk. I'll do the same for DS2. Until your baby is getting a good amount of calories and nutrition from solids, no sense cutting back since the BM provides such a perfect source of nutrition.
momeeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
sparkygirl74
Registered Users
seller
seller

We do bm, H2O and every once in a while a little juice. I don't think there is anything in cows milk that she isn't getting from eating healthy and getting bm. We try to get her to drink rice milk every few weeks, but she thinks it's yucky. lol. I am not worried about it, and her ped recommended a vitamin supplement or fortified oj instead, but wasn't pushy about it.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

dd is 19 months and she has a sippy of organic whole milk that she works on during the day. she drinks somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 oz/day. she drinks a little water & the rest of her liquids are from bf. it's nice to have something to give her with dinner or for dh if i'm not around or just if i don't especially feel like nursing right that second. i don't think it has any impact on her nursing - for us anyway.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

No allergy issues here so I introduce cow's milk gradually. They don't have any interest in it though. Mine drink water, juice, a little tea from mom's cut ect. And still nurses a few times.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We introduce cow's milk gradually as well. None of our kids has ever had an issue with it.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
roseselene
Registered Users

Our DD cannot tolerate cow's milk so we have rice milk in our house. In this instance that I'm not home and DS wants milk, he gets EBM if its available or rice milk, but he's never had cow's milk.
Amy
Old 04-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #9
Drummer's Wife
Registered Users

DS is 14 months and has a cow's milk allergy, so when I'm away from him (not very often) he drinks a small amount of soy milk... I would pump but I haven't been able to get much out lately. He still nurses a ton
Old 04-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

DS #1 only got my milk until I weaned him at 18mo. He did get yogurt a lot though. For DS #2, I plan to make my own yogurt from raw goats milk when he is ready.
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote