Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
tng_mama
Registered Users

Unhappy my 9y/o dd just started her period!!!

She was moping around the house this afternoon, so I asked her what was wrong, and after I made a few guesses she said "Mom..it's personal." TO which I replied that I'm her mother and nothing's too personal that she can't talk to me about it. Then I said (half jokingly)" Did you start your period??" and she just stared at me... So I asked her to show me....sure enough.

So...off to the drug store we went...........

Her best friend's sister is 14 and just started hers, so thank goodness it's something that we've talked about very recently so she knew what was happening...I just can't believe it's happening this young. She doesn't look like she's 9 (she'll be 10 on August 2nd), most people think she's at least 13 but still.....

Oh! and my 11 month old started walking two days ago...my babies are getting further and further away from being babies....

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Silverfairy2
Registered Users
seller

Re: my 9y/o dd just started her period!!!

Wow! That is pretty early. I read that girls are starting younger in industrialized nations now. Lots of luck to both of you.
Silverfairy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hugs to your little girl. I remember when I first started my period. I cried and cried and told my mom I wish I were a boy.
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is so sad that kids are getting their period this early It has got to be so hard to grow up that fast. I got mine at 11, so I think my dd might get hers soon too. She is nine and has hair you know where and boobies already I'm sure it won't be long. to you.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Oh my Goodness! I just can't believe this 9yo wow I was 13 almost 14 but I also had like no boobs and hair either till I was around that age. poor momma your babies are growing up.......I guess you can have her look at it this way she is growing up that will make her feel better!

Good Luck
Old 06-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

Wow that is early I did not get mine till I was atleast 14 1/2 almost 15.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Shay
Banned

My 11 yr old DSD started hers at 9. She is now more reg than me.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

This sounds a little stupid but I nearly forgot that I will have to go through that some day with my girls. I look at them like babies (well, they are but you know what I mean) and can't imagine them becoming little women. Nearly 10 is pretty young but I believe I was the same age. I had to start wearing a bra at the beginning of 4th grade, period started in 5th and leg and down there hair in 6th. It's nice to hear she can talk to you and that you took it so naturally (I was raised by my father and actually managed to hide it for a year).
Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:

Just a suggestion......try to do something special for her to recognize it. Don't make it something that she is going to dread, but something to be PROUD of! I think we tend to make it a bad thing for our daughters.....I want my daughter to celebrate that she is a woman and this is one of the many ways it shows. I know we will be having a special ceremony to celebrate my daughter entering the "creator" stage. With gifts and words of wisdom from those women in her life! But even if you just go out for a special chocolate dessert you and her, so on a little shopping trip for something that makes her feel good.
As far as how young, my pediatrician said it can start as early as 7 now
I know my dd is coming soon......the way it goes is breast tissue, pubic hair, under arm hair and then period. My dd is now a 34A, has the pubic hair and is starting to get a couple strays under her arms. So we have the cloth pad stash started and ready when it comes
to both you and your daughter!
Old 06-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #10
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemgirl
Just a suggestion......try to do something special for her to recognize it. Don't make it something that she is going to dread, but something to be PROUD of! I think we tend to make it a bad thing for our daughters.....I want my daughter to celebrate that she is a woman and this is one of the many ways it shows. I know we will be having a special ceremony to celebrate my daughter entering the "creator" stage. With gifts and words of wisdom from those women in her life! But even if you just go out for a special chocolate dessert you and her, so on a little shopping trip for something that makes her feel good.
Well said, exactly what I was thinking!