Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #21
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: my 9y/o dd just started her period!!!

I am so sorry this is too YOUNG!!!

for the pp who said about it being from food... cant remember the exact words... sorry but I dont know if I buy that.... my dd is 12, going into 7th grade in Aug... no period yet and no rush for it lol but she is just starting to get the beginings of boobs so should be within the year? I hope not till she is 13....

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #22
tng_mama
Registered Users

I took her out for supper and we went to the movie store to pick out a movie for just us girls (Aquamarine)..we're going to go upstairs when I'm done nursing the baby and paint our toenails while we watch the movie.

I was young (8 days before my 11th birthday), and her father's sister and mother both had theirs by the time they were 11..so it must just be in her genes.

She seems fine with it now...except that we were planning on going to Canada Day celebrations at the beach tomorrow, and she's worried about wearing a pad with her bathing suit. So, I dug out my wrap to go over her suit..any other suggestions for that? she's too young for a tampon or anything like that.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #23
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewebabymama
Hugs to your little girl. I remember when I first started my period. I cried and cried and told my mom I wish I were a boy.
That was me too! My DD is 9 and I can't imagine! HUGS
Old 06-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #24
rliszkowski
Registered Users
seller

My mom and my sister both started their period at age 9, so it is not unheard of. Poor thing, I was so upset when I started mine at 13/14 because I felt I'd be "tied down" with pads etc. for the REST OF MY LIFE. I cannot imagine what a 9 yo is feeling.

Good for you for putting a positive spin on it!

Oh and the bathing suit, my girlfriend used to wear a pad with her swimsuit all the time. Just a regular one without wings. We hardly noticed it, I don't know if it was gross for her swimming or whatever because I never asked.
rliszkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #25
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can relate to the other posts about wishing to be a boy when I got mine. Your poor girl! Hugs to her! For some it's a badge of honor moving into womanhood, to other's it's a pitb. I feel for ya momma!
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #26
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Somehow I thought you had to be about 100 lbs before starting a period, like that is some kind of threshold or something. I have also heard that it is the growth hormones in chicken, milk and beef that cause early maturity.
Anyhow that was not my point.
The Apache and Navajo women have wonderful "changing woman" ceremonies for their young women when they get their 1st AF. These ceremonies traditionally lasted several days and there was a feast after. It is all connected to their creation stories on how the tribes came about, (similar to Adam and Eve for Christians) both ceremonies differ in their own ways but the creation stories are similar. I wish we could do something like that for our young women or even had a tradition of it, but there is so much shame associated with becomming a woman.
Okay, done with my history lesson. Good luck to you. I hope that I can wait longer to teach my daughter about her period, but it should be a celebration as well as a sacred thing.
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #27
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemgirl
i agree tht this is a major cause, which is why i get most of our meat from a local organic farm......i too love meat too much to give it up again (was a vegetarian for about 8 years)
I couldn't agree more to this, this is part of the reason why we raise our own meat (pigs and chickens). No hormones, no vaccs., no additives, nothing but corn/grain. I can't wait to get these three dang pigs processed so I can fill my freezer....with 10 people we blow through food FAST.

Anyway, I think it makes a difference personally, just my
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #28
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaelovesenglish
Somehow I thought you had to be about 100 lbs before starting a period, like that is some kind of threshold or something. I have also heard that it is the growth hormones in chicken, milk and beef that cause early maturity.
i have heard this as well - it has to do with having sufficient body fat/resources to potentially support a pg. that's why for instance olympic gymnasts and other people who train really hard and have esp. low body fat will frequently not start puberty until really late (see flat chested olympic gymnasts) or have their period go away until their body fat goes up.

i would hazard a guess that part of the reason girls have earlier onset of puberty in industrialized society is b/c of dietary issues (being better fed, etc.)

anyway, i started mine when i was 10 - i was a bit of a hefty 5th grade
Old 06-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #29
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad you did something special for her. I was 10, and it really freaked me out. My mom told everyone which was super embarrassing at the time, but I remember my dad went and bought me flowers and said congrats on being a woman and it made me feel really special.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #30
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

"Somehow I thought you had to be about 100 lbs before starting a period, like that is some kind of threshold or something. I have also heard that it is the growth hormones in chicken, milk and beef that cause early maturity."

lol i laughed at this bc even after having a daughter im MAYBE 90lbs wet lol and get my af every month lol

but i hope your daughter feels better and knows its not a bad thing