Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #61
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: my 9y/o dd just started her period!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrab
Hmm I wonder if weight does play a part? My daughter at age 12 is about 75lbs... very thin....
I've read that girls are usually around 100 pounds when they start their periods. I was 11 years old (really, a few days shy of 12) and around 95 pounds when I got mine. This probably means that my 45 pound, 9 year old will never get hers!

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #62
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was 86# when I got my period & my dd has been 100# for awhile & doesnt have hers.....gosh I hope thats not true!!!!
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #63
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
She noticed my panties in the wash, I don't think she was prepared at all for it. She just bought me some pads, then if I leaked she'd make me wash the blood out and if I didn't get it all out threaten to put them on the table for everyone to see.

yeah, I'm not doing it her way.
OMG!!! That's just horrible. Leaks were something that neither my sister or I were prepared/warned about. My mom had a hysterectomy after I was born so she hadn't had AF in a really long time, so she was "out of practice" and didn't remember a lot of those details (how you'd forget, I have no idea). All I knew was from my step mom, who would ALWAYS seem to start while at church, and soak her undies in the sink. My sister and I quickly aquired what we called our "period panties" which were super dark colors that didn't easily show stains/leaks.

As far as age though, bio sis started at 15, I started at 14, so I expect my DD will start later as well.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:47 PM   #64
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started mine when I was 15, but my mom only had tampons in the house. "Super" at that. Let's just say it was a horribly painful and terrifying experience. I had to go to ballet class with that. OUCH! It also took me forever to figure out "where" it was supposed to go. I would DEFINATELY start with cloth pads, or dispoable if that's what she wants. You could even get a really cute wetbag for her to take them to school & stuff!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #65
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I started my period when I was 9, too. I had a good idea of what was going on, but no one had discussed it with me. I didn't say anything to my mom and the next day she found blood in my underwear and finally said something. I had actually gone into her bathroom and gotten a tampon to check and see which hole the blood was coming out of - I was worried it was coming out of my butt. She bought me two books and left me alone. I strongly suggest you make her feel comfy with it - I was extremely uncomfortable about it and my mom isn't very "open". Tampons have NEVER worked for me (my vagina is tilted funny, along with my uterus) so I had to figure out what pads I wanted to buy on my own, etc. I could never talk to my mom about it - it just wasn't what we did.
I accepted it pretty well - I just wish someone had said something about it earlier. I don't know when my mom started her period, or my sister for that matter - but I have heard it is genetic in some way (whatever age it starts at). Maybe it ties in on more than just the maternal side, I'm not sure.
I think you're doing a great job of talking to your dd, so that wasn't really aimed at you, LOL. I just want to make sure EVERYONE'S daughters feel comfy with the idea - I felt like a freak.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #66
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

aww...me too.

I really didnt get regular until about 11 or so, and I also didnt really know what was going on.
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #67
kingwooten
Registered Users

girls do not have to be "developed" to start AF, I got mine at 10, I weighed 65 pounds, I wasn't even on growth charts I was so small for my age and I did not need a bra until I was 16, I also had no hair "down there" or anywhere else. My 7 yo (will turn 8 this month) is getting boobs and we have already had our talk, and now she wants to buy cloth pads "just in case" she gets hers soon
kingwooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #68
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG that is so young! I saw a couple weeks shy of 14 when I started. I was SO freaking excited to acually start. I was the last one in my group of friends so I was anxious for it to happen to me. LMBO! Now I hate em and am glad when I don't have them.

I also couldn't use a tampon until I lost my virginity....for some reason I was unable to get one in right and it hurt so badly to try. My mom tried and tried to explain it to me but I just couldn't get it.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote