Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #21
Carrie
Registered Users

Re: Birth Control

A V isn't 100%. I doubt it is that much more effective than condoms used correctly every time. I let my Dh take responsibilty for the condoms. Well, I get it out and get it ready but he "helps" put it on. I think he doesn't trust me, lol! And he takes it off and throws it away, otherwise the dog eats it. O.k. that's probably way tmi...sorry!

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #22
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife
I second the motion for NFP. I'm a Promoter for my parish and there are so many more couples out there that have such a huge list of complaints about all forms of birth control and I've yet to hear anything sincerely positive. Yes I hear the "I'm not pregnant right now" sound bytes but about 99% of the people that give me that line caveat it with "but I sure would like another".

Putting your faith and trust in artificial birth control is like putting your faith and trust in an automobile while sitting on your hands instead of them being on the wheel, trusting it to "drive itself and yet keep you protected from all harm at the same time." You have to know where to put your trust and have faith that it'll work. And sometimes, life doesn't happen according to OUR plan.

It's also a mentality you must adapt to. Being open to life is not an easy mentality to adapt to when society is telling you 2.3 children should make you happy, any more than that and you're being selfish and demanding help from others. It's also hard to realize that we actually have to take an active role in self control so when we are fertile (and also at our most amorous for us women) we practice that self control and NOT have sex during the fertile time if we don't want to get pregnant. The operative phrase is self control. We take a passive control when we use birth control, therefore we allow the artificial pills, hormones, shots, surgeries, and other contraptions to "protect" us from a natural occurance (fertility).

Read through some of the above posts and you'll see a few "I like (insert BC here) but it kills my sex drive" comments. That right there would send off a few warning bells. I might not want to get pregnant this or that month, but why on God's green earth would I want to kill my sex drive?

Ok, I've talked enough ... this is just my view so I hope no one takes offense to it. I like reading through the different thoughts and opinions on birth control as it's such a hot button issue on some other boards, so it's nice to see a thread that isn't blasting one or the other.
I am on a low hormonal BCP and I can sit here and HONESTLY say I LOVE it. I have had NO side effects. My periods are like clock work. I havent gained any weight. I havent broken out. Im not over hormonal. My sex drive is heh more than enough, etc....so thats not true for everyone. Ive been on the pill off and on since I was 16 (for flow regulation rather then BC) and never really had a problem. Maybe Im just lucky?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:01 AM   #23
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie
Am I the only one who actually likes the fact that condoms are less "messy"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfitz5051
NO, I agree! Every time I got pregnant I dreaded the fact that we didn't need them anymore.
lol - i was actually just thinking that myself.

Last edited by wbkt8; 04-28-2006 at 10:03 AM.
wbkt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #24
materursa
Registered Users

Sort of on the subject...one of the reasons why my dh wants me on BCP (in a month and 1/2, when I'm not pregnant) is because he's concerned about the irregularity of my cycles. I'm interested in NFP. Does anyone know of a non-hormonal way to try to get my cycles a bit more regular?
Thanks,
Amanda
materursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #25
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by materursa
Sort of on the subject...one of the reasons why my dh wants me on BCP (in a month and 1/2, when I'm not pregnant) is because he's concerned about the irregularity of my cycles. I'm interested in NFP. Does anyone know of a non-hormonal way to try to get my cycles a bit more regular?
Thanks,
Amanda
lunaception is one i've heard of
Old 04-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #26
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by materursa
Thanks,
Amanda
I'd suggest you get a copy of the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler...I am prone to "irregular" cycles as well, but I was fascinated to realize that it's NORMAL to have some variation...when you get AF is determined by when you ovulate; ovulation is easily suppressed or postponed in some women by things like breastfeeding, stress, travelling, etc...so the first part of my cycle varies; BUT the beauty of it is that you always have the same luteal phase (from when you ovulate until AF); mine is 12 days. So even though I never used FAM (similar to NFP, but allows use of barrier methods vs. just abstaining during fertile times) exclusively for b/c, I was always able to predict to the day when my period would come. Very nice!

The book has all the info you need to use FAM (fertility awareness method) for birth control purposes...including charts to copy. I think every woman should read it, whether or not they use FAM for b/c...it's very empowering.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:12 PM   #27
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

I'm a pill girl.
hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:21 AM   #28
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhobby30
I'm a pill girl.
Me too. But DH is about to be a V boy
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:55 AM   #29
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Talking Re: Birth Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFabMama
I am on a low hormonal BCP and I can sit here and HONESTLY say I LOVE it. I have had NO side effects. My periods are like clock work. I havent gained any weight. I havent broken out. Im not over hormonal. My sex drive is heh more than enough, etc....so thats not true for everyone. Ive been on the pill off and on since I was 16 (for flow regulation rather then BC) and never really had a problem. Maybe Im just lucky?
Yeah, you probably are one of the lucky ones where BCP's won't cause you the nasty side effects. But it's something you'd have to keep a constant eye on. The detrimental effects might not happen until later years and it's not like a switch that you can just shut off by stopping the pill.

It's always wise to research all the pros/cons to BCP's and most people don't realize that even the low dose BCP's cause abortions and other pretty harmful side effects. Then it's a matter as to if they care enough to find another form of birth control they can rely on (if the new knowledge concerns them) or practicing NFP which, when practiced properly, has a higher percentage of accuracy than the pill (which you also have to take properly to be effective). There are other methods of NFP besides the sympto-thermal method, such as the Creighton method (I think someone posted it earlier) where it's not as in depth with cross referencing. I think I like knowing what's going on with my body in a natural manner and if DH and I decide that month that we'd like to ttc, we don't have to worry about anything.

I wish everyone !!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:01 AM   #30
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife
Yeah, you probably are one of the lucky ones where BCP's won't cause you the nasty side effects. But it's something you'd have to keep a constant eye on. The detrimental effects might not happen until later years and it's not like a switch that you can just shut off by stopping the pill.

It's always wise to research all the pros/cons to BCP's and most people don't realize that even the low dose BCP's cause abortions and other pretty harmful side effects. Then it's a matter as to if they care enough to find another form of birth control they can rely on (if the new knowledge concerns them) or practicing NFP which, when practiced properly, has a higher percentage of accuracy than the pill (which you also have to take properly to be effective). There are other methods of NFP besides the sympto-thermal method, such as the Creighton method (I think someone posted it earlier) where it's not as in depth with cross referencing. I think I like knowing what's going on with my body in a natural manner and if DH and I decide that month that we'd like to ttc, we don't have to worry about anything.

I wish everyone !!
So, basically you are saying because I am on BCP I dont care? My personal belief is BCP does not cause "abortions". So, I am 150% A-Okay with being on the pill - and I dont really appreciate your tone about people who are on the pill.

I'm young. I've had NO problems conceiving. I dont plan on being on it forever, DH will get a V after the next one. But, really thats not anyone elses business.

What is right for you isn't right for me or my family. I dont really appreciate you saying that what is right for me is a bad thing.