Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Horrible Night in the Maternity Ward

My husband, 11 1/2-month old daughter and I went to his brother's wedding last night. My husband was the bestman. I have been having preterm labour problems since 25 weeks and am currently a couple days under 35 weeks. I'm supposed to keep off my feet as much as is possible and get lots of rest. (We saw a perinatologist on Thursday and a vaginal ultrasound showed me to be completely effaced and dilated to 1.) He basically said I could go into labour at any second and that any sort of activity would/could cause contractions which would dilate me further. Really, really wanted to go to this wedding, so I spent the morning and afternoon resting. The wedding was beautiful (historic church from the 1860s). Unfortunately, I was having contractions the entire time I was sitting there. After the ceremony we stayed for a couple of photographs and then headed to the house the reception was at, where I reclined on a couch and my husband and I tried to figure out what was going on. (There was a lovely candle lit reception in progress out on the lawn, with a live jazz band, flowers everywhere, champagne & wine, a dinner, across from a quiet lake, living oaks everywhere, etc. etc. more beautiful things -- it was really disheartening.) Contractions were 2-3 minutes apart, sometime not even that, and sometimes they would last for four minutes. We decided it was really important to get to a hospital, so we left Evelyn with my husband's parents.

Got to the hospital and checked-in. My husband was in a tux and I was in a nice shirt and skirt. It was somewhat absurd. The nurse that came down to get me was the nurse I had a year ago when I had my daughter. She didn't listen to me for three or four hours when I complained to her over and over that the epidural was wearing off and wasn't working at all, and then finally when the machine finally got its act together and beeped telling her there was a kink in the line, she told me it was too late for her to give me anything else. (I wasn't mentally prepared to go natural at this point.) I tell her I'm in a whole lot of pain (but I'm being completely reasonable and polite -- no screaming, etc.), and at some point she gets some drug (she says the name before she gives it to me, but of course the name means nothing to me) that she tells me will help and shoots it into my IV, and then proceeds to tell me that IT ISN'T A PAIN KILLER, BUT IT WILL HELP TIME GO BY QUICKER). So I spend the next hour and a half up until Evelyn is born on some trippy, wacky psychotic LSD-like drug, jolting in and out of consciousness. Because of the residual epidural effects I couldn't gage where the baby was, and because of the narcotic I couldn't keep my head in the moment, but was busy watching the patterns on the wallpaper spin and morph. When Evelyn was born I was just confused and sad, and poor Evelyn was drugged and couldn't even manage to keep her eyes open.

So yes, this nurse comes to take us up to the maternity ward in a wheelchair. It was so depressing. She insists that I have an IV, which from what she told us, sounded like I didn't have the option of refusing. I HATE IVs, especially unnecessary ones. They make me absolutely nervous and on edge that somehow someone will trip over or end up yanking on the line She had a hard time getting it in my hand, and blood got everywhere, all over my hands, wedding ring, and bedsheets. She checks me to see how much I'm dilated (I'd progressed to 2 cm.) and was extremely rough about it. Extremely painful. We spend the next three hours there being monitored. My hand and arm hurt from the IV the entire time. I'm really upset and on the verge of tears and absolutely petrified when the nurse is in the room, especially when she keeps asking me if I want anything for the pain. I just shake my head and try not to look at her. They give me two shots in the arm that are supposed to stop contractions that eventually work and tell us that we can spend the night or go home. We elect to go home for obvious reasons.

I am so scared to go back there.

This has been our third trip to a maternity ward to stop contractions -- and it costs an arm and a leg even with insurance. I'm so tired of it. Part of me knows it's important to not have the baby for at least another week, but part of me wants to have the baby now so I can begin recovery and start to watch my daughter again. One can't be much of a mother to an 11 1/2-month old when on bedrest. She goes away with relatives from 8-5 everyday, and then I get to see her when she comes home for maybe two hours before she goes to bed. It's so horrible.

Advertisement

SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Horrible Night in the Maternity Ward

I hope you don't get her again, she sounds awful!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That sounds awful! Here tons of great "never seeing the witchy nurse again" vibes! How horrible!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
quarli
Registered Users
seller

That sounds awful mama!! Are you on oral meds for the contractions?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm on Indomethicen which is supposed to...make me have a less 'cranky' uterus?
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

I am so sorry you had such an awful night! I will pray she is not the nurse that is in when you go back. If she is you can refuse treatment from her and request another nurse. Just tell some one higher up the issues you have had with her. I have had to do that before. Many hugs n prayers!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
hacandsac
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by annes_cottage
I am so sorry you had such an awful night! I will pray she is not the nurse that is in when you go back. If she is you can refuse treatment from her and request another nurse. Just tell some one higher up the issues you have had with her. I have had to do that before. Many hugs n prayers!!

ITA she can't be the only nurse there. Lots of hugs to you and prayers for a safe and happy birth.
hacandsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yep..we had a fabulous CNM do prenatal care during my dd's pregnancy, and she told me that ANY time you are unhappy with the care you are getting , whether its in a hospital or a clinic, you just ask for the supervisor. Tell her you dont want that particular nurse in your room again.

They HAVE to accomodate you. If they're shortstaffed, they can just switch that nurse's patient with another nurse

I think a lot of mommas are afraid to speak up when they get in the hospital setting because they feel like they arent allowed....they are tied to a bed with monitors and IV....that is all so intimidating ( to me, at least!)

PLEASE demand another nurse.
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Don't be in a hurry to get the baby out. The NICU care bill will far outwiegh the trips yo uare making to stop contractions. I felt like that with my twins who were born at almost 35 weeks and I so regretted ever wanting them out and being impatient about being back to normal bc when they weren't with me and had to stay 9 days in the NICU it was a horrible experience. It is almost time! Hang in there.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
gymrat
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not much longer!!! You make me want to have my baby at home even more though I know I will be heading to the hospital (DH wishes so I respect that - his fear of me rupturing).

I agree that if you have to go in again definitely speak up if you get someone who is making you uncomfortable. If you cannot do it ask DH to.

Best of Luck these next few wks!!!