Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #11
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: VS nurse-in on the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi's mom
Another thing about this is, just because one person that happen to work at VS said BF is unsanitary doesn't mean that's the opinion of VS as a corporation.

do a google search on victoria's secret breastfeeding and see what you get. i got 2 (form 2005) articles in the first two sites that spoke of them being negative. it is an ongoing problem

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #12
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I am all about breastfeeding advocacy, but I agree that this VS nurse-in was not a good idea. Just my .
Old 07-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
ReagansMommy
Registered Users
seller

I'm with ya.... there are better ways to advocate BF!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #14
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I think it was GREAT......it did exactly what it was meant to do..give the company, and society in gerneal a little "wake up call" that you CAN nurse in public.

My understanding is that VS sent out a memo to all of it's store right before the nurse-in, and made sure that ALL store members knew that BF is aloowed and encouraged in VS, and that they shoudl try to be as friendly and accomodating as possible to BF moms in the store.
THAT'S what the purpose was. Unfortunately, we keep having to do it OVER and over again.........Starbucks was probably the first big-news case...and now they have an established BF policy....several other places have had issues, and only through ADVOCACY are places getting the message that it is wrong to harass nursing mothers, and it will not be tolerated.
It is SAD that we HAVE TO DO things like this....but until every manager of every place in America underatands that, just like they can not tell someone to go eat in a bathroom because they are black, or Jewish, or gay, they can not treat nursing mothers that way.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #15
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyofthemoon
Did anyone else catch the blurb on the news about the nurse-in? It was on our local station last ngiht, a little blurb about it where they interviewed a woman who was "nursing-in". I was so mad! I'm sorry, i know that most don't agree with me but these women are giving breastfeeding advocates such a bad name. I love breastfeeding attention in the news, but this negativatity is NOT what's going to make breastfeeding comfortable in our society. And something that really bugged me....the initial problem was feeling like they couldn't nurse in the store, well the frickin nurse-in was on benches outside the store. If you can nurse there for anurse-in, why not just nurse there to begin with!!! wtf!!!! Sorry, I know most of you don't agree iwth me, but I had to vent.
Without having read any other responses - I TOTALLY agree with you 150%!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #16
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

What I don't get is that if these women are so for breastfeeding in public (which I think there should be no problem with NIP) why are they asking to use a dressing room? Why not just do it on a bench or walking around or at the food court? Why are they so concerned with hiding it?
Old 07-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #17
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
I think it was GREAT......it did exactly what it was meant to do..give the company, and society in gerneal a little "wake up call" that you CAN nurse in public.
I agree

Quote:
What I don't get is that if these women are so for breastfeeding in public (which I think there should be no problem with NIP) why are they asking to use a dressing room? Why not just do it on a bench or walking around or at the food court? Why are they so concerned with hiding it?
About 90% of the time DS will NOT NIP. He gets way to distracted, believe me I'm not shy about NIP but I refuse to go sit out in a 100 degree car during the summer or sit in some nasty bathroom to feed my baby. In fact I just asked for a dressing room at WM the other day after DS refused to NIP at the pharmacy bench. Of course I had no problems getting a room for that purpose.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 07-03-2006 at 03:28 PM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #18
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsBunny

About 90% of the time DS will NOT NIP. He gets way to distracted, believe me I'm not shy about NIP but I refuse to go sit out in a 100 degree car during the summer or sit in some nasty bathroom to feed my baby. In fact I just asked for a dressing room at WM the other day after DS refused to NIP at the pharmacy bench. Of course I had no problems getting a room for that purpose.
Totally see your point on that!!! I wouldn't nurse in the car and I DEFINITELY wouldn't do it in the bathroom.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #19
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99

My understanding is that VS sent out a memo to all of it's store right before the nurse-in, and made sure that ALL store members knew that BF is aloowed and encouraged in VS, and that they shoudl try to be as friendly and accomodating as possible to BF moms in the store.
THAT'S what the purpose was. Unfortunately, we keep having to do it OVER and over again.........Starbucks was probably the first big-news case...and now they have an established BF policy....several other places have had issues, and only through ADVOCACY are places getting the message that it is wrong to harass nursing mothers, and it will not be tolerated.
It is SAD that we HAVE TO DO things like this....but until every manager of every place in America underatands that, just like they can not tell someone to go eat in a bathroom because they are black, or Jewish, or gay, they can not treat nursing mothers that way.
I agree!!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:30 AM   #20
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

I guess I just don't see what the problem is to NIP. Even with my first newborn, I yanked a blanket off me that my DH draped across me to cover us up. I wasn't exposing anything and you're talking about a one week old nursing. Not like the baby is going to fling the blanket off at any given moment and give a huge boob shot like a one year old would.

Than again, I'm a big mouth and will give off a smart aleck response to stupidity.