Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2006, 05:48 AM   #21
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Re: VS nurse-in on the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sons
What I don't get is that if these women are so for breastfeeding in public (which I think there should be no problem with NIP) why are they asking to use a dressing room? Why not just do it on a bench or walking around or at the food court? Why are they so concerned with hiding it?
And that was my biggest point! And with this thread, not the original one, i was not really looking to debate the whole thing over and over again, although that's fine as I do like to try to understnad where eveyrone is coming from, I was really wondering if anyone else had seen it. This whole thing has irked me, but the mother they interviewed just really gave out negative vibes to me. I just REALLY think that there are better ways of going baout getting POSITIVE, not hostile, messages about breastfeeding out there!

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 08:51 AM   #22
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyofthemoon
This whole thing has irked me, but the mother they interviewed just really gave out negative vibes to me. I just REALLY think that there are better ways of going baout getting POSITIVE, not hostile, messages about breastfeeding out there!

you know the news though, they are going to put the most abrasive/rediculouse/idiotic/beligerent person on they can find. I always take news interviews with a grain of salt. I bet the interviewed way more than one person.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:08 AM   #23
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom
you know the news though, they are going to put the most abrasive/rediculouse/idiotic/beligerent person on they can find. I always take news interviews with a grain of salt. I bet the interviewed way more than one person.
Oh, i know, but if all these moms were therer to prtray in a natural and positive light, as it should be prtrayed, this lady shoulda been a lot more careful ot come across in such a way, instead of acting like the darn boob nazi...Don't get me wrong, although I disagree iwth this whole thing I understand the pov of those involved, but this was a chance to do a great pubclic service campaign at no cost to those doing the education, but instead it just made us all (nursing moms) look like a bunch of dopes.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #24
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well, here's from a momma who actually attended the nurse in.

One of the malls here had 40 ish people show up.

The reason it was done was to do the big HELLO in your face moment. The 2 women mentioned above are on another board i am on, and they complained to corporate office. They both received form letters claiming it was an isolated incident, and VS supports breastfeeding mothers. Well , after a little research, it was found NOT to be an isolated incident. Even last year, women were being spoken to derogatorily in those stores. And it has been nationwide.

What the nurse in hopes to accomplish is this: "HEY VS, Get your act together and get a better policy concerning BF women. Then...make absolutely sure that ALL employees , new or old, temporary or permanent, KNOW about it!!!"

Don't bash BF women for taking a stand....

and there is no federal law protecting women yet. Each state is on its own in making law. For instance, Alabama managed to just pass a law recently that protects a womens right to bf her "child" anywhere she and her child may normally be. Tennessee just passed one that protects a woman's right to breastfeed her child 12 months of age or under!!!!!!!

So now everyone is lobbying the lawmakers to remove the age limit on the TN law.
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #25
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

My opinion, NIP is fine. NP. However, some mothers, like myself, always tried to find a place to "hide" first. I mean, if I went to McDonalds, I would sit in a back corner so that I could have my privacy. If I had to NIP, I would but, of course, I would try to cover up as much as possible. I don't think a momma should have to NIP if she can "hide" somewhere. And, if the dressing room was full (haven't read the article), I would have used the bathroom if I had to. It's probably not comfy to walk around a mall carring a BFing baby especially if you have no sling-not sure though cuz I've never done it. Should VS let women use the dressing room? I would definitely say yes, if 1 is available at the time the momma asks. Just my opinion though!
love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:35 AM   #26
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom2chris
My opinion, NIP is fine. NP. However, some mothers, like myself, always tried to find a place to "hide" first. I mean, if I went to McDonalds, I would sit in a back corner so that I could have my privacy. If I had to NIP, I would but, of course, I would try to cover up as much as possible. I don't think a momma should have to NIP if she can "hide" somewhere. And, if the dressing room was full (haven't read the article), I would have used the bathroom if I had to. It's probably not comfy to walk around a mall carring a BFing baby especially if you have no sling-not sure though cuz I've never done it. Should VS let women use the dressing room? I would definitely say yes, if 1 is available at the time the momma asks. Just my opinion though!
See, but I feel like this is just perpetuating the idea that nursing isnt "ok" and that we have to "hide". Is that what we want our daughters to think?? and believe?? I made sure my little girl always saw me nurse...even now she sees a picture of a nursing baby and will talk about it.

I think we have GOT to perpetuate the idea that nursing is as normal as breathing.

just my
Old 07-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #27
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
I think it was GREAT......it did exactly what it was meant to do..give the company, and society in gerneal a little "wake up call" that you CAN nurse in public.

My understanding is that VS sent out a memo to all of it's store right before the nurse-in, and made sure that ALL store members knew that BF is aloowed and encouraged in VS, and that they shoudl try to be as friendly and accomodating as possible to BF moms in the store.
THAT'S what the purpose was. Unfortunately, we keep having to do it OVER and over again.........Starbucks was probably the first big-news case...and now they have an established BF policy....several other places have had issues, and only through ADVOCACY are places getting the message that it is wrong to harass nursing mothers, and it will not be tolerated.
It is SAD that we HAVE TO DO things like this....but until every manager of every place in America underatands that, just like they can not tell someone to go eat in a bathroom because they are black, or Jewish, or gay, they can not treat nursing mothers that way.
Acknowledgement and awareness of the issue by Victoria's Secret was the goal, and that did occur. All of the news stories I read led me to believe that the nurse in was handled very professionally.
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #28
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom
See, but I feel like this is just perpetuating the idea that nursing isnt "ok" and that we have to "hide". Is that what we want our daughters to think?? and believe?? I made sure my little girl always saw me nurse...even now she sees a picture of a nursing baby and will talk about it.

I think we have GOT to perpetuate the idea that nursing is as normal as breathing.

just my
I agree 100%. Nursing IS normal, nursing IS natural and nursing SHOULD be viewed as such no matter where you go or whom you are with. It should NEVER be treated as dirty or inappropriate as nothing could be further from the truth!

Now, I am all for having the mother nurse where she is comfortable because if she isn't comfortable, how is let-down suppose to happen and how is the goal of feeding the baby suppose to happen if she isn't comfortable? It's up to her and the baby to make nursing successful but I do think that if NIP were universally acceptable with no negative comments or stares then I think most, if not all, nursing mothers would be comfortable as it would be only natural to just do it without a second thought.

I remember NIP with my MIL one day. She took me out to eat with my girls and Keegan wanted lunch too so she asked me, "do you have all you need? Blanket, should be go inside?" I just looked at her, while unbuttoning my shirt, and said, "yup, equipment all here and ready" And started to NIP I don't cover up unless I am foolishly wearing a shirt that won't modestly cover MY skin up. No need to cover my baby's head as my babies were NOT comfortable in a hot blanket nor could they get fresh air while nursing.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #29
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

bamamom...I understand what you are saying. When I was at home, I nursed in front of my other kids, NP. They knew that Kierstyn was getting milk like that. I guess I am just more private in public. My kids never asked me why I was "hiding"...maybe because they never thought I was. I would just sit in the back of a restaurant or something. I totally think that BF is normal, but that doesn't mean that I am gonna just whip out my boobies in front of people...LOL. Like, one time at Walmart, I sat on a bench inside the store, covered up and started feeding. No big deal. It was cute though cuz some old man kept inching toward me to see the baby and when he got close enough, I told him that she was eating...he backed off quickly...LOL. It was funny. But, honestly, I didn't have to BF too often in public. Mostly at church...there was a girl there one time who was about 13. I told her I needed my baby back cuz I was gonna feed her. She was like, "I can do it" and I was like "I don't think so". After I explained it to her, she was confused, I think. She had no clue that milk came from your boobies. She asked me to explain it to her again cuz she didn't understand where the milk was coming from...LOL
love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #30
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY KEEGANS MOMMY

"It's up to her and the baby to make nursing successful but I do think that if NIP were universally acceptable with no negative comments or stares then I think most, if not all, nursing mothers would be comfortable as it would be only natural to just do it without a second thought"

THIS is exactly what I hope for!!!! EXACTLY!!

love2bmom2chris, I too would opt sometimes for a back booth of a restaurant, and I almost always wore nursing shirts so that people couldnt really see what I was doing. Now, having said that, I will say that I pretty much nursed whenever, wherever. I would sometimes step behind a rack of clothes to get latched on(my ds was AWFUL at latching) and then just walk around normally. I understand having to do it, and being as comfortable as you can. When they got older and distracted, I did sometimes sit with my back to people just so they would actually eat.

I hope I didnt offend anyone with my pp...I am always stuffing my foot into my mouth!