Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #11
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Teen girl question

I don't like tampons, and I wouldn't let my dd wear them at such a young age. But it's up to you, if you don't have a problem with it, then it's not a problem.

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #12
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mountainsunshine for the information I never heard of a diva or instead cup and just googled it after reading your post. It sounds very interesting. I might give it a try and I will tell my dd about it also. Thanks again Lisa
Old 07-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd is 12 and hasnt started yet.. but I myself am not comfortable with tampons so I probably would not encourage then for my daughter... what about the sponge? though I have never tried it myself

I was always a freak about the TSS.......... I have always used pads or mama cloth
Old 07-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #14
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i snuck and used them when i had change and conned a ton out ofmy science teacher in 6th grade, so from then up, i was 12.... my mom wouldnt "let" me until i was 14, and my friend i was stayng withs mom convinced her theyre not virginity takers among other things though by then it didnt matter anyway. all my mom had were the giant 1inch + thick ones and i compulsively change pads, i hate them and they make me totally paranoid so i was going nuts until my aunt got me ultra thins but theyre stll huge l&w wise though imo....
id say let her try them and see what she likes. i tred instead at 15 and loved them and quit using tampons for the most part then.
let her know all the choices like diva, sponges, etc too and see if she thinks anything ee looks good or wants to try it. also slender/junior were never enough absorbancy imo, and i wasnt a heavy bleeder at all and a couple friends said the same thing....

hth
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #15
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

I don't buy tampons anymore so Tiffany, who's 11 and may start any day now, will have the option of cloth pads or sea sponges. Anyway, tampons hurt me upon insertion and upon taking them out as they catch on the tender skin. And I am a small woman so alot of the sizes are just too big but I bleed alot so I am really, really pleased with how the sponge's work for me and can only assume that Tiffany is built the same way.

Plus, I will not put her through the kind of pain I have had to deal with associated with the chemicals in the tampons and pads. So it's pearls for us a no tampons.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 AM   #16
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah chemicals were a big reason of why i switched to instead and now use sponges...i wish idhad unbleached or organic ones when i used them, s that something carried in stores near you? theyre not here. i dunno how concered about chemicals your family is though...
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #17
Tummy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mindi,
This is a hard decision, I still have a few years (I hope!!!) before I cross this bridge.

I do not wear tampons, have not used one since Feb 2004. I feel that it is healthier for my body not to use them. I do not think that I would allow my teen daughter to use tampons.

I would on the other hand sit her down (even if its in front of the computer to use ref. sites) and inform her on all the pros and cons of using tampons... Including my own personal views on using tampons, mind you explaning tjhat it is ONLY my views/opinions and she should have her own... ect.

I would buy a diva cup for my daughter. I would definantly incourage the use of a diva cup before tampons.

I have a diva cup, used it only a hand ful of times, but still love it when I do use it!!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #18
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I seem to be the pnly one posting this so it may help in a decision. I started my period at 10 years old. I was raised by my father so obviously a tampon was not the first thing either of us thought of. I wore pads and was so self concious (sp?) that EVERYONE could see. Of course now they have all the ultra thin things with wings (you know, so they can fly ) so that may not bother her. I started wearing tampons around 12ish after having several leaks from pads as well as breaking out (down there) after day 4. I would start with a pad for days 1-3 or 4 when it was heavier and then us a slender tampon for days 4-7. I started having female problems and had to see a ob at like 13 (scary!!). I had my ds at 16 (we were both virgins) and when my period returned I used pads for a long while and then back to the pad/tampon routine. My issues started again when my ds was about 9 months old. A doc finally linked my issues to tampons when I was about 17 nearly 18 (since I wasn't using a tampon all the time the issues would go away and come back). I had to have my uterus froze twice and all kinds of shots to keep my body fighting whatever was going on. I would get infections all the time (sorry, can't remember the exact names of the infections). I ended up with scarring that ultimatly led to my having a very difficult time getting pregnant (my 1st and 2nd are 7 1/2 years apart, 2nd and 3rd are 4 years apart) after #1. I stopped wearing tampons at 18/19 years old and haven't had a female issue since they stopped all the reoccuring infections. They said I was just very allergic and I was getting internal infections. I kept with the pad wearing despite breaking out (another allergy) until I found mama pads and I will never use anything else. Having all those issues really scares the day lights out of you and because of theat I won't let my dd use a tampon ever. Possibly something natural and sterile but only after I look over all info, even then I will keep close eye on any changes.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #19
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my DDs want to use tampons and I wont let them. I have fear about all the chemicals that are in them. My oldest has cramps now with using pads I would hate to see what tampons would do for her. I am going to get her a Diva for her 16 th birthday. The next oldest one is just 13 and has had her AF for at least 2 years. They do have some mama cloth that I need to get sewn up for them. Oldest DD had a reaction to my hemp pads so I really don't want her using tampons. I would think that there would be less of a learning curve to the diva cup than the instead cup as it sits lower. Maybe I will get some instead cups for them to try for swimming this summer.
mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote