Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
What's the rule (food)....

regarding peanut butter, honey, and babies?

Is it 12 mo for pb and 24 mo for honey? I was going to make something that included both pb and honey....but my kids are 29mo and 10mo...I'd be willing to be that my 2.5yo is good to go, but I don't know that for sure. I'm pretty confidant that the 10mo can't have any of it though.

I want to be on the safe side

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's the rule (food)....

it's 12 months for honey and peanut butter. some people who have a history of nut allergies, etc. will delay giving peanut butter for longer (possibly using other nut butters instead - such as almond, etc.).

as far as i've ever read there's no particular reason to delay giving honey past a year. that's not an allergy issue - it's that they can get a form of botulism from spores in the honey that their intestines can't handle yet. adults/older children don't have this problem so the general advice is after 12months it's ok to give honey.

anyway, to answer your question i would not give it to my 10 month old, but i would for the 2.5 yo.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Carrie
Registered Users

12 months for honey. Our ped says 3 YEARS for peanut butter. We don't give any peanut butter yet but I wish we could. I asked Dh if we could but he said no b/c of what the ped says...seems a little overcautious to me as we have no family history.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie
12 months for honey. Our ped says 3 YEARS for peanut butter. We don't give any peanut butter yet but I wish we could. I asked Dh if we could but he said no b/c of what the ped says...seems a little overcautious to me as we have no family history.

I have even heard 7 years!!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

i am pretty sure COOKED honey is fine, it is the raw stuff that you need to be wary of
Old 07-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

actually what i was reading said that cooking/heat (i.e., pasteurizing) does not kill the botulism spores in honey.

3-7 yrs for peanut butter sounds like a very conservative approach. guess it depends on how concerned about it you are.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gave my DS peanut butter around 1.5 and hone at 2. I didnt know there was a wait on pb. But I do know you should wait until they are good w/ food b/c w/ pb and bread it can be a choking hazard because of how it sticks
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Gosh, I didn't realize anyone waited past 12 mo for pb....ds (2.5) has had pb A LOT over the last 18mo. More pb recently than early in the 18mo spread, but still...huh! We don't have a history of peanut allergies in dh's or my family - as far back as I'm aware.

This may be a stupid question....but raw honey, would be honey straight from the bees/nature/hive...NOT store bought? Correct? If that's the case (and I assume it is), we have raw honey, with some of the comb. I'll search on the internet for more info, but someone said raw honey is not safe and someone else said that it doesn't make a difference?

Thanks for all the info!
Old 07-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

my favorite source for information on this sort of thing is Wholesomebabyfood.com - here's what they have to say about Honey
Old 07-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #10
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

12 months for egg yokes and honey, 3 years for PB. This is what our allergist told us. The PB wait is not only for allergies but also for choking posibilities