Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:
Walking and Talking...

So, dd#1 was a BIG talker. By the time she was one, she could say tons of words, astounded her ped...one of "those" kids. But, she was barely walking at one. Now, dd#2 was walking well before one, but had little interest in talking lol. Hazel is 13 months and doesn't really do either. She will stand and walk along things, but when I try to get her to come to me, she plops down and crawls.

When did your kids start walking and talking? How did they compare to the others? I'm thinking maybe I'm just not spending as much time with #2 as with #1 and then even less with #3. Could that have anything to do with it?

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
sparkygirl74
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Walking and Talking...

Delaney has always been pretty far ahead on motor skills, but has just recently started speaking. She was walking prety steady by 10 months and is nineteen months now...I would say that most babies I have known have seemed to concentrate on one or the other. Hazel might just be concentrating on something else.
I did everything late, and my older sister did everything early.

HTH
Old 07-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Molly started walking a few weeks before her 1st birthday. She had a few words around that time (dada, hi, bye, etc.). Her vocab started really exploding around 16-18 months.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

every child has their own timeline if you wish.

I know a momma where her DD just started talking and she is 2!

My DD walked a couple months later than DS....but, I think she talked a bit better than he did when he was that age....
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Carrie
Registered Users

Ethan and Ryan didn't start walking until about 15 months. They were saying a few words then but their vocabularly didn't start taking off until 18 months.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
quarli
Registered Users
seller

I believe each kid will do it in thier own time.....especially now that I have twins, and can see each one progress at a different rate.

My 4yr old was saying words at 5-6 months old....his first words were ca-ca, and he only ever said it when he had a dirty diaper...lol

He walked at 8 months old, but due to ever worsening seizures at that age he stopped walking much til he was 11 months old, and resumed walking like he had never stopped.

The twins are 6 months old, 4 months adjusted. Hunter loves sitting up, and he really loves standing up and holding onto things. He is just now really begining to make more "talking" sounds. Kolton is happily content with just scooting around on the floor, and really doesnt like standing, and forget about sitting...lol. Hes been making "talking" noises now for almost a month.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:42 AM   #7
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to add crawling, since thats been the biggest variable here.

DC#1: crawled at 9 months- to the coffee table where he pulled up and started walking. So walked at 9 months as well. Had about 10 words at 1, lost them though and regained speech at 2.5-3yrs

DC#2: cruised at 4 months, but didn't crawl or walk until 10-11 months. Talked at FOUR months, was speaking in sentences at 8 months (yeah look I'd call MYSELF a liar too but I SWEAR its true and the pediatrician wrote it down in shock after listening to her).

DC#3 crawled at 4 months, walked at 11 months, talked at 18-20 months

DC#4 crawled at 10 months walked at 12 months still not talking at 17 months
Old 07-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In my experience, every kid is different and does things in their own time. I agree with whoever said they seem to focus more on one skill or another...maybe Hazel has something else in store for you besides walking or talking! Also, I think children higher in the birth order tend to do things earlier than their younger sibs because they have to, you know? Do your older kids speak for Hazel so that she doesn't have to figure out how to communicate with you? Do they tend to bring her things and wait on her so that she doesn't really have to get around on her own? I've seen lots of younger siblings that were in that situation and therefore hit milestones later than their older siblings but in the long run, it all comes out in the wash.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:16 AM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ds1 crawled at 5mo, pulled up at 6mo, started cruising at 7mo, and didn't let go until 10mo (took steps before then, but wasn't full-fledged walking on his own until 10mo). He said his first word at 7 1/2 mo (daddy), and I'm not sure when he learned the new words, but by 12 mo he was saying Mama, Daddy, Tickle, Ow, Ouchie, Doggy, Bye bye, Bite bite, Hi, and Baby.

Drake didn't start crawling until 8mo, started pulling up at 8.75 to 9mo...and now at 10mo he can cruise along the furniture pretty good....and without anything around him to help, he'll stand up by himself, bend over and pick up his bottle, and stand there and drink his bottle....he's taken a few steps, but I don't really see him walking by himself too soon. Just cracks me up that he can stand in the middle of the floor drinking his bottle and he refuses to walk He says uh-oh, 'dao' for dog, 'mmm-mmmma' for mama, 'ddddada' for daddy, he whispers, 'oh wow' (cracks me up!)...one day I was making his bottle and I swear it sounded like he said, 'ba-ba' but he's not repeated it since. He also says, 'nah-nah-nah' for no and he'll say 'yah!' when you ask him a question.

Someone once told me what everyone else has said pretty much, that they focus on one thing at a time. IMO, I think milestones are a lot like childbirth. It'll happen when the child is ready. In some instances there can be reasons for delays...but I think kids just vary a lot
Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000
Do your older kids speak for Hazel so that she doesn't have to figure out how to communicate with you? Do they tend to bring her things and wait on her so that she doesn't really have to get around on her own? I've seen lots of younger siblings that were in that situation and therefore hit milestones later than their older siblings but in the long run, it all comes out in the wash.

Very good point! My older two just love to play little mommies.