Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have to replace my big baking dish-AGAIN!

Long story short- My old baking dish was pyrex and it had to be replaced. They sent me a different kind of ceramic baking dish. It has developed a very long craze in it and it looks like it will be cracking there eventually.

Are these types of things not developed for heavy use?

This is the one that is breaking:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

The writing on my pyrex liquid measuring cups has rubbed so they are becoming useless.

I'm going to need a replacement but honestly I don't think anything is made to last. My smaller baking dishes are from 80's and they have been used and abused. There is not one chip on them.

You guys always have good suggestions. What should I try next. I looked at Le Cresuet but are they really being made in China now too.

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Re: I have to replace my big baking dish-AGAIN!

Are you sure your measuring cups are Pyrex? I have some old and new Pyrex measuring cups, all of those are fine, but the Anchor brand measuring cups lost their writing after only a few washes.

If you are looking for 1 or 2 quart measuring cups, I *LOVE* my Pampered Chef batter bowls... use them for everything, measuring, mixing, storing, letting bread rise (measuring marks on the side mean I know when it has doubled), and so on. Their markings are part of the glass so no rubbing off.

I've got both Corningware and Pyrex baking dishes that get a LOT of use and no problems yet. Some are old and some are new. Sorry I haven't got a good suggestion there for you.
NEkalmia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEkalmia View Post
Are you sure your measuring cups are Pyrex? I have some old and new Pyrex measuring cups, all of those are fine, but the Anchor brand measuring cups lost their writing after only a few washes.

If you are looking for 1 or 2 quart measuring cups, I *LOVE* my Pampered Chef batter bowls... use them for everything, measuring, mixing, storing, letting bread rise (measuring marks on the side mean I know when it has doubled), and so on. Their markings are part of the glass so no rubbing off.

I've got both Corningware and Pyrex baking dishes that get a LOT of use and no problems yet. Some are old and some are new. Sorry I haven't got a good suggestion there for you.
I'll take a look at the batter bowls. I'm going to check the cups again and report back.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's weird. I haven't had any trouble with any of my Pyrex.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I prefer porcelain enameled cast iron, heavy but also heavy duty. Biggest drawback is expense. They can be very expensive.

If you get a kitchen scale the numbers on your liquid measuring cups won't matter. I rarely refer to them since buying my scale. Or for my baking I just pour my liquid into the mixing bowl with the bowl on the scale. Saves washing. I also read a review. Apparently one reviewer noticed the writing on the Walmart glass measuring cups washed off but those bought elsewhere did not.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 10-17-2015 at 02:31 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
That's weird. I haven't had any trouble with any of my Pyrex.
No issues with my older stuff not even a chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I prefer porcelain enameled cast iron, heavy but also heavy duty. Biggest drawback is expense. They can be very expensive.

If you get a kitchen scale the numbers on your liquid measuring cups won't matter. I rarely refer to them since buying my scale. Or for my baking I just pour my liquid into the mixing bowl with the bowl on the scale. Saves washing. I also read a review. Apparently one reviewer noticed the writing on the Walmart glass measuring cups washed off but those bought elsewhere did not.
I do have a kitchen scale. I could do that but I also like having the smaller ones help/measure etc. and the cups make that easier.

I checked my cups-both are Pyrex. One is rubbed off the other isn't. I already got rid of one that lost all the writing completely I think that one was Anchor.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have one thing to say ... Thrift store! I have had ZERO issues with my old stuff. I have 2 pyrex 2 cup measuring cups. I did have an Anchor glass measuring cup that also lost it's writing . I have a big Libbey Brand one that is awesome. It's a bowl that measures up to 8 cups. There is no Printing ... All the words are clear glass.

I've had modern bakeware crack and one outright shattered into a million pieces. Now I use most of them as "tupperware" since I have plastic lids for them. I don't bake/freeze in any of the Anchor Hocking junk. My Vintage pyrex & vintage FireKing have had zero issues. (I have the little custard cups and DD actually threw one onto cement when she was littler. It didn't break!)

I also bake in my cast iron but mostly meats (like roasts). I do cornbread in cast iron (Because it's so yummy if you cook bacon in the cast iron first!). Mostly I use my glass for actual baking of cakes, pies, omelets, little mini pot pies, Custards, etc.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I have one thing to say ... Thrift store! I have had ZERO issues with my old stuff. I have 2 pyrex 2 cup measuring cups. I did have an Anchor glass measuring cup that also lost it's writing . I have a big Libbey Brand one that is awesome. It's a bowl that measures up to 8 cups. There is no Printing ... All the words are clear glass.

I've had modern bakeware crack and one outright shattered into a million pieces. Now I use most of them as "tupperware" since I have plastic lids for them. I don't bake/freeze in any of the Anchor Hocking junk. My Vintage pyrex & vintage FireKing have had zero issues. (I have the little custard cups and DD actually threw one onto cement when she was littler. It didn't break!)

I also bake in my cast iron but mostly meats (like roasts). I do cornbread in cast iron (Because it's so yummy if you cook bacon in the cast iron first!). Mostly I use my glass for actual baking of cakes, pies, omelets, little mini pot pies, Custards, etc.
How delicious is cornbread in the cast iron skillet!!!! One of my all time favorites.

I'm usually using these for a baked fish and casserole type things. I like the way they look on the table as opposed to a stainless pan but at this point I give up. I'm a little afraid of Pyrex still due to shattering.

I might just keep my eye out at the thrift store and pay $4 instead of paying more for anything else.

I have a big Turkey roaster (the speckled kind) and I suppose I could just use that for everything. Maybe I'll try that and buy not buy something else that I'll have to find a home for.

Who am I kidding? You guys know I love the kitchen stuff. Can't resist.

I saw a clay baker at the thrift shop. I didn't get it but I was curious about it.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a big Graniteware roaster too! I do use it especially if I find a good sale on Whole chicken. I'll toss 3 of them in there! One for dinner... Then use the bones from all to make a broth while I freeze all the extra chicken.

I have very rarely used it for a roast but only when I had company. For normal family meals( 4 of us), a large roast & veggies will fit in my cast iron.

I put a cookie sheet on the bottom of the roaster... I think it needs it to cook evenly.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
Jenn27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love Fiestaware Bakeware. It's lead free, made in the US, and super easy to clean.