View Poll Results: Have you done the triple/quad screen?
yes 36 27.07%
no 72 54.14%
not with every pregnancy 22 16.54%
other- please explain 3 2.26%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #61
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Re: Did you do the triple/quad screen?

No i didn't have it done for any of my pregnancies. Based on two things. First it gets so many false positives, why have something else to worry about. And second it wouldn't change anything for us.

Advertisement

Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #62
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I didn't get it with DD#2 because we were at the very end of the time frame in which to do it and my Midwife told us that doing it that late might cause false positives. DD#2 is a perfectly wonderful chunky little girl with no "defects" at all.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #63
PrettyBird
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleymama View Post
I've chosen not to with both pregnancies. While I like to be informed, I look at these things as "what would I do with the information?" And the answer would be "nothing" because the results wouldn't change the outcome at all for us. Besides, I've heard too many horror stories about false positives. I wouldn't want to wait out the rest of my pregnancy in uncertainty and full of anxiety.
We chose not to do it for these reasons as well.
PrettyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #64
beachmamatoboys
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did the screening with my oldest and youngest, but not with my middle son. I never got a positive, thankfully, but the results wouldn't have made any difference to me. I would have worried, but I still would have loved that baby like mad.
beachmamatoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #65
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my last 2 pregnancies we decided not to have the triple screen even though it was recommended because of my age...I was 39 when ds was born and 41 when dd was born. they are both healthy. If we are blessed with another, I am undecided on the tests. I know what the risks are due to my age, but I do not think the tests would change anything except add anxiety.
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #66
yummymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did. The first was negative. The second pregnancy I got a false positive. It was horrible. We had the amnio, and genetic counselling. We expected reults right away. We were pretty relaxed until they said that we have to wait two weeks. We were going away on holidays, and called from a pay phone in another country to get the results. We had been so stressed. I planned to buy all sorts of baby clothes while on holidays, and I didn't even wnat to think about being pregnant. I couln't eat or sleep. Turns out everything was fine, but it did start a major conversation, and some deep honesty. We had our decsion made on what to do with the information. The false positive itself was stressful, but we did get a lot closer as parents. We opted to go ahead with the quad screening for the third, because we decided that knowing and preparing together was better than being caught unaware and not having the supports in place. Luckily negative for our third. Very tough choice!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #67
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Did you get a false positive? No, I got a higher indicator for an NTD - which indeed it was NTD.
Were you satisfied with the results? Yes.
Would you do it again? Short answer, yes. But we are not having any more.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #68
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

I had the triple screen with DS & DD. With DS the result came back as an elevated risk for spina bifida (neuro tube defect)so we were scheduled for a high resolution sonogram to check everything out. The sonogram showed that DS didn't have spina bifida, but instead had a major abdominal wall defect. They couldn't tell from the sonogram if it was omphalcel or gastroschisis so they did an amnio centisis. The diagnosis came back as gastroschisis. I was very happy to have found out early on, it gave me a chance to research and prepare myself to take care of my special baby. DD's came back fine. If we have any more children I would have it done for each pregnancy.

Last edited by lilmama2dsndd; 10-01-2007 at 09:47 AM.
lilmama2dsndd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #69
brigadoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was going to, my midwife put in a referral... and then i didn't do it within the "alloted" time, b/c i forgot. i guess God decided it wasn't for me to worry over, so i got blanketed with a month of memory loss, lol.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #70
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not had it done for my other 2 children, however I am having it done with this one. As the mother of a special need's child I can honestly say that early detection/intervention is the key to the well development of the child. I feel that we are luck enough to have these tests available so we can get all the medical help and services in place as early as possible. I am also the type of person who needs to be prepared and know in advance. Taking care of a child with special needs is way harder than I could ever imagine, but so worth it I would just need to prepare myself if it were to be the case again