Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #11
Formerly: Boomer
My Mood:
Re: Insurance Question

I paid for my u/s out of my own pocket since we were having a homebirth with a midwife and my insurance wouldn't cover it and it cost $180.

A real woman always has a clean house, an empty laundry basket, smells good, is well made-up, slim, healthy, eloquent, and perfectly well behaved...I suspect I am a man.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
Registered Users

Originally Posted by ClothDiaperingMama View Post
WOW!! Did you go to a high risk ob? Our total for having ds was 3500.00 altogether. {no c/section}. I feel for ya mama! That is a lot of money!
No. We're actually seeing a midwife at an accredited, free-standing birth center. I don't even have an OB. The birth center had to refer me to a local perinatal clinic for my u/s because they don't have that fancy equipment at their office. When all is said and done, this birth is gonna cost us around $2800 out-of-pocket. I shudder to think what we'd be paying if I had complications or had chosen to have a regular hospital birth.

Its kind of hard to believe we actually have insurance, huh? For those of you who think Michael Moore's "Sicko" is a big exaggeration, I'm living proof that the system is pretty messed up. Ironically, if we didn't have insurance and made a bit less money, we'd qualify for the state-sponsored health coverage and they'd pay 100%. Ah, the privileges of being "middle-class"....
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Mommy2Cadence View Post
Costs really will vary depending on where you are and what office you are going to. As long as you arent high risk the typical labs run $200 or so and u/s can vary about $300- $800 each. But cost are different everywhere and at every place.
my labs ran 350 and my u/s was 650 ... that was what was billed to our insurance & we paid 20% because deductable hadn't been met at that point. Since there's no insurance to be billed, you may automatically get a discounted price. I understand that happens frequently. Good Luck!
Jenny ~ wife and mama of 4

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote