Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
wanamingomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Repeat C-section?

Ok, so I posted a thread about VBAC versus Repeat C-section. Most of the responses were about how wonderful VBACs are. I'm wondering if there's anything good about a repeat c-s.

Can anyone tell me their story about a planned repeat c-s?

I'm so on the fence about this one. I still have 3 weeks before my first appt. and won't know much until then. I'm not even sure of my hospital's VBAC policies yet.

But, today I'm leaning towards repeat c-s, so I want to hear about those.

My biggest fear is to go through a trial of labor and end up having an emergency c-s again. I think the recovery from a planned c-s would be better than that of an emergency c-s.

Help!

Advertisement

wanamingomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Repeat C-section?

I've had two repeat c-sections and haven't had any problems. The best thing about them is that they allow you to plan your schedule around when you will have the baby (off work, dh off work, childcare, ect). Having said that I have went into labor before each of my scheduled c-section so just remember because its planned doesn't mean the baby will cooperate! I also only had a repeat c-section because I was not educated about a VBAC - had I know I had an option (by choicing another doctor in the area) I would have opted for that then the other doc wouldn't do a VBAC because I had two previous csections. I am actually thinking of changing docs again if I get preggo because I really want to try a VBAC even though its after 3 sections - I'll be going with a midwife group hopefully! Good luck on a happy baby however you decided to deliver!
Ericka
Old 07-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

I had a repeat c-section when DD was born. She too came 2 weeks before it was scheduled. I didn't get a choice for VBAC, because of all my DS's complications there wasn't a midwife or dr other than the one who delivered DS that would see me. And I had too much scar tissue from endometreosis for a VBAC to be safe. It really is easier the 2nd time around too! I remeber how hard my first c-section was, but the 2nd was a breeze. I was up roaming the hallways the next day. That being said, they had to make the incision about 1/2 longer then the first (not sure why) so there were a couple of extra staples, but not really that big of a deal. I think it was easier because I knew what to expect and was more confidant about my abilities as a mom. I also liked the extra 2 days in the hospital to relax with DD before going home to handle DS and DD by myself.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I had one. I have to say that the physical recovery was so much better. Also it was nice to be able to not be tired from labor, pushing, etc AND all the crap that came along w/an ER c-section... I was awake and able to enjoy my baby more. I feel like I was up and around a lot quicker.

That being said, I didn't have a choice due to medical complications. A VBAC could have never happened in my situation.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
wanamingomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, mama's... keep the stories coming!
wanamingomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
Mommyof2Princesses
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a repeat and it was wonderful! Mine was scheduled a month in advance or so (whenever the docs got their schedules). I liked it because I was able to set up care for my 5 yr old with my brother and his family for the days I was in the hospital. My dd loved it, it was such a treat to get to stay with her cousins for 5 days. We were able to set it up with their school that she could attend that week (since my brother and sister in law are teachers there). My family was able to come down a couple days before I went into the hospital so that was nice as well. The recovery was so much easier than the first time around. You hear about how much better recovery is the 2nd time around but I couldn't believe the difference. I know this sounds bad but I was also able to pick my daughters birthday. My niece was born on the 15th and my nephew on the 19th so we chose the 17th. There are alot of reasons why we chose a repeat. But You just have to do what is right for you and what feels right, kwim? Good luck with your pregnancy!!!!
Mommyof2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I think I posted on your other thread where you were trying to figure what would be best. So I won't bore you w/ all my details again, I can get pretty windy. LOL

Anyway, I had a scheduled repeat C/s and will again in Oct. My 1st scheduled one was 100xs better than the original. Because I knew I was having a c/s I talked w/ my dr and the nursing staff when I was checking in so that they knew it was important to me that I beable to BF right away. w/in mins after surgery in my recovery room, they brought my DD to me and nursed her right away. I had to wait almost 6 hours after my emergancy c/s to nurse my 1st DD. I was also up walking around that night, and had real food that night as well. after my er c/s I didn't get real food for 2 days.

I think the difference between a scheduled vs an emergency is that you are well rested, you haven't been laboring (hopefully) and you got a decient nights rest prior, and you basically know what to expect (unlike labor which can go fast or really slow). That allows your body to heal faster and feel better sooner. I also didn't take as much pain med as I did w/ the er c/s. I was only taking 800 mg motrin when I left the hosp. I only took the stronger stuff for 2 days.

I think it would be great to VBAC if you and your dr decide it is safe for you to do, but you shouldn't be scared to have a repeat c/s if that is the right choice either. It worked well for me and I know may others who have done it as well. Good luck w/ your choice and no matter what it is be confident that it is the right thing to do. Don't let anyone challenge your decision.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
trashley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a repeat section and loved it. My first dd's birth was very traumatic and the schduled c-section was surprisingly mentally healing.
trashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:29 AM   #9
bbjbryner
Registered Users

My Mood:

My body never goes into labor due to having some uterine anomalies but I'm going to have my 3rd planned section and they are a breeze for me. No worries, no long recovery, no infection of the scar. I just go home after 2 days and don't even use my pain meds once I get home. You have to be a little careful about your older kiddos climbing on you for a few days but really I have had NO bad issues with my C-sections. I obviously don't have the option for anything else but I have nothing bad to say about c/s! Good luck with whatever you choose. As long as your baby gets here safely, who cares how they come!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm having a third c-section this December and like the pp's I've had no regrets. My recoveries have been great and I'm able to do normal daily activities (well, normal for being sleep deprived ) as soon as I come home from the hospital. I remember one night after having my son, my hubbie came home and I was vaccuming and he freaked out, but everything was fine. The recovery to be honest was different last time but not worse. I had a bit more bleeding than I remember from the first and different aches and pains (due to scar tissue) but on the whole it was fine. Nothing that I would expect would be much different than if I 'd delivered vaginally. Good luck with whatever you choose. Since you've already BTDT you'll at least have the advantage of knowing what's coming if you choose to go with another c-section.
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote