Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
ktoone
Registered Users
seller

Re: washing CD in front-loader...Please Help!!

Quote:
This is what I do: short cold wash (for a rinse), long hot/cold wash wioth detergent, long hot/cold with nothing. Works for me but I do have to turn the machine on 3 times...
That's my routine. I have the Frigidaire, too. I like it, but I'm still learning. The biggest thing you need to know is DO NOT USE TOO MUCH DETERGENT. I currently use about 1T, and I think it's too much, bc my dipes/inserts are just a little smelly. If I'd do it over agin, I'd make sure I had one with the sanitary cycle (or that has an internal water heater) bc I don't like to keep my hot water heater over 120, and I think that would help my dipes as well. It is nice to have the super-fast spin, and my dipes are usually dry in 40 min on low heat.

Advertisement

ktoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

I have the GE's available at home depot...they are just numbers... they're maybe$50 cheaper than the duet and made by the same company. I love it...I think it's important to get the sanitary wash. I like that with my dryer it has a rack so I can turn it on with no heat and put my wool in there and it dries... Get one with a sanitary option for the water heater... GL!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
luvmyblessings
Registered Users
seller

We just bought the GE front loader set. When we compared it to the Whirlpool Duet, it had all the features of the low end, as well as the sanitary cycle of the high end. We paid quite a bit less than the Duet, and seemed to have ended up with all the high end Duet offered. I think the main difference was the amount of delay on the delay wash...

I can't wait to have it delivered! Thanks for this question... I'll definitely only use 1/2 tsp of my Tide Free (thanks Gwen!!) to get my dipes clean...

Hey, another question for front loader users. The sales person said to use very little detergent when we first start using the system since the top loaders have left so much detergent in the clothes. Anyone experience this? If so, how much detergent do we use for the other clothes (jeans, shirts, towels, etc.)?

Thanks!!
luvmyblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #14
ktoone
Registered Users
seller

I've read that you should use about 1/3 to 1/2 of what you'd normally use in a top-loader. I'm still searching for the right amount, though. Loads of info can be found at this site: Laundry Room Forum.
Good luck!
ktoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #15
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

I've been using the triple concentrated ALL (HE) detergent, and I use about a teaspoon per wash, for diapers or clothes - and I use even less if I'm doing a smaller load. Everything comes out wonderfully clean (and like I've said before, I believe my diapers are just getting cleaner and cleaner! No signs of build up issues after 3 weeks of washing), so I haven't been tempted to mess around with that amount - it's working for us! I do add a small amount of original dawn to my diaper loads (in the prewash) to cut the fat left over in BF poo, but it's not much at all... probably 1/4 to 1/3 of a teaspoon.

I've got to say though, one thing I'm totally loving my FL for is washing wool - it has a "handwash/wool" cycle in addition to the typical "delicate" cycle, and I'd have never trusted the delicate cycle not to destroy my wool, but the handwash does a superb job I just put wool wash in the detergent holder, and a small amount of emulsified lanolin in the fabric softener holder, and my wool comes out perfectly washed and conditioned (if the machine didn't rinse after the wash, I wouldn't bother with the lanolin, since I don't add extra when I wash by hand, but I don't rinse, so the wool wash has enough lanolin in it for hand washing).
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #16
cajsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the Whirlpool Duet set.
I use 1 measured TBSP of Tide HE for diapers at most or I get buildup. I love the large loads it's capable of washing/drying. It makes washing clothes soo much less time consuming! My DC#3 wet the bed last night, and I was able to throw all of her bedding in at once (double comforter, flannel sheets, thick minki type blanket, jammies, stuffed animal pillow cases, mattress cover), and have it washed in 40min. All with 1 tbsp of detergent and very little water/electricity

Last edited by cajsmommy; 05-03-2006 at 02:11 PM.
cajsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote